“Thoughtful staff”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Fremantle
Perth, Australia
“Thoughtful staff”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had a very pleasant overnight stay, we'd booked a harbour suite/do not disturb package for our anniversary. On arrival, valet parking was swift and courteous, entering the hotel a passing staff member gave us a big smile and hello - fantastic first impression. A lovely girl checked us in at reception and wished us happy anniversary, the duty manager also came over to congratulate us. It's gestures like this that make you glad you've chosen a hotel. We were given the best suite and it was gorgeous, sparkling clean, huge terrace overlooking esplanade park with comfy outdoor furniture. Really good bathroom with twin vanities, excellent shower (hot and lots of pressure which I love) and a two person spa bath. The bed - I can honestly say the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. Huge king sized, choice of pillows and a mattress you never wanted to get off. We had a very decadent and delicious high tea on our private terrace before heading out to visit the markets and enjoy drinks at Rosie O'Gradys - all around 5 minutes walk. Buffet dinner was included in the package, I'm not usually a fan of buffets but this was good, I especially loved the cesear salad and the roast beef. A minor hiccup when I was brought peach iced tea instead of the lemon I ordered but it was sorted out quickly, with one of the staff making me a tall glass of very nice fresh iced lemon tea. The breakfast buffet had plenty of choices, I didn't enjoy the eggs benedict because they were kept in a warmer tray and the muffin was soggy, but I replaced that with scrambled egg which was delicious. A very courteous checkout by the same lovely girl on reception, our vehicle was retrieved quickly by the valet, and we were on our way home, very relaxed and happy after a lovely stay at the Esplanade.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 255103BethC
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
How pleasant to read of your nice stay at the hotel, was very good to see the greeting and acknowledgment from the team was sincere and thoughful, it is these small things that make such a big impact and can certainly turn a good stay into a memorable one. Great to see you also enjoyed the handy location to all the highlights of Fremantle and everything was what you expected.

Hope to have you back with us again for another anniversary/

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I spent a couple of nights at the Esplanade Hotel. I use the Rydges chain frequently in Australia but I must say this is not one of their better properties, although it is in a fantastic location on the waterfront. The rooms were clean but in need of refurbishment and maintenance - the shower would not stay in place and would be best suited to someone under 5' if they wanted to get wet. Room service was prompt, but I expected a bit more from a chicken burger than a couple of chicken tenderloins - maybe a fillet for starters. And on check-out I find the valet parking had scraped the side of the car. I won't hurry back to this one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Can appreicate having your vehicle delivered to you with damage would not be a great way to leave the hotel with a positviev impression. I understand the Rooms Division Manager has addressed this with you and hopefully this may have turned your opinion on the hotel. We are doing our best in a short amount of time to change the hotel for the better as a Rydges Hotel we are also doing quite a lot in the background as well to have more seamless systems in place and the owners are very committed to ensure this property is one of the best in the area. I hope you will give us a chnace again in the future.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Esplanade for two glorious nights. It's proximity to everything is brilliant. We put the car in lock up for the entire time we stayed and walked everywhere. On arrival at the hotel I made mention that we hadn't had time together with out kids in nearly 20 yrs. We were treated to a bottle of Champaign to make our stay extra special. The staff are wonderful in that they just can't do enough for you. Always a smile. The food at the Esplanade is very good. The Harbour across the park is stunning with fine dinning galore and Little Creatures Brewery for that something different for all tastes. We would definitely recommend the Esplanade to anyone wanting comfort, service with a smile and great proximity to EVERYTHING.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Really pleasing that you enjoyed your experience in Fremantle and the team were able to make sure your impression of the hotel was such a positive experience. We hope you will be coming back to enjoy some of the changes we are working on in the future.

Essex
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Stopped off at the Esplanade Hotel Fremantle for 3 nights before our cruise around south Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand. Hotel was lovely just what we expected, we were shown to our deluxe room which was lovely but had a terrible view of the Car park. We immediately went to reception to ask for a room with a non car park view, we were informed that all deluxe rooms had the same view. Seeing our disappointment they upgraded us to another room with a view of the pool. Very unexpected, very kind we really appreciated it. Great hotel, lovely clean modern room, Great spa bath, comfortable bed and lovely staff. Best location. Coming back 2014

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn113
How nice that you enjoyed your stay with us before heading off on your cruise, glad the team were able to take action with your room as this would have been a good way to make a lasting impression on your experience in Fremantle. Hope we see you back with us again on your next adventure.

Wilyabrup, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

While a regular visitor to Perth, this is the first time I've stayed at the Esplanade. The location is brilliant for tourists in particular as many restaurants, public transport and the sites of Fremantle and its harbour are all just a short walk away. The Hotel caters not only for tourists but wedding parties, conferences etc.

In this trip I was on business and so wanted a no fuss and efficient service and comfortable room. Arrival is a little tricky if you are in a private vehicle as parking is almost nonexistent and congested. Valet parking is available, very courteous and efficient - at $29.50/day.

Check in was a breeze even though I had left my wallet in the valet parked car (which they promptly retrieved for me!) I was accommodated in a Deluxe Spa Room the newer Southern Cross section of the hotel. The room was sparkling, very well appointed and very comfortable for my needs.

The highlight of the visit were the exceptionally friendly staff. Be it the valet parking, front desk, wait staff or even a maintenance crew - they were all very welcoming and cheerful. I'm a bit if a oldie when it comes to offering people a smile and a few words - and I was genuinely impressed by their attitude to their work and their guests.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel and the quality was very good, fresh and with a great variety - even for vegetarians. The staff again were happy to accommodate you. I did note that several vego options were also available at every meal sitting.

My only issues I had were quite minor and common ones wherever you stay in Perth. They are the expensive parking, having to pay for any internet usage and the high tariffs compared to most other Australian cities. Never the less I will certainly return.

Room Tip: Southen Cross section is removed from the large Atrium section and provides a very quiet rooms and b...
2 Thank ovolacto_oz
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
It was really pleasing to read your detailed review following your recent stay at the hotel. We are working on a solution for the internet and hsould be live in the next few days with the benefit of free internet for guests up to 20MB per day. This and other enhancements will be occuring as we make changes to the hotel under the Rydges management. I hope we see you back with us again soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Had a great 3 nights stay here, this hotel is in good spot for walks around Fremantle and the marina. Also in case you intend to visit Rottnest island, it's about 15mins walk to the jetty.

Stayed in a studio room facing the pool - All modern appliances with separate office desk area and good size balcony. The walls seem pretty thin as it is easy to hear if any noise in the corridor but slept well. Buffet breakfast was good too.

Wi-fi was about $18 / day - Was not included in my room rate so check this when you book.

Very friendly staff.

Would stay here again if visiting Fremantle area.

1 Thank HANVEST
The location is certainly one of the more common postive reposnses we receive, close to everything you would be wanting to see when staying in Freo. The WiFi out of interest will be upgraded shortly with a new system that will provide fast and efficient connection and best of all it will be free for everyone with a cost only when use is higher than 20MB. I hope everyone will enjoy this new improvement as we constantly look at ways of improving our service.

Regards

Albany, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Massive hotel in a great location if you like history, food, coffee and a chilled out atmosphere. Only a short train ride to Perth city centre, this hotel has a heap on offer. The lagoon style pool was a great option, but then so was the other outdoor pool. Room was large and had a balcony. Buffet dinner and breakfast were great value when I was there. Room service expensive and requests made to reception sometimes went to the wayside. It is a pricey hotel though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PaulieAbb
It was nice to seeyou enjoyed your stay with us in Fremantle, we are in the throws of improving as many aspects of the property as we see having taken over in Jan this year. The location is one of its best attributes, but we are working on so many other important qualities, namely service and the physical product as well. Moving forward we should have some great things to share with travellers with our fornt entry and food and beverage outlets starting a refurbishment in the ocming weeks, we are very excited with this development and look forward to having you back again soon.

Regards

David Bornmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremantle
Be. Fremantle
Tradewinds Hotel Fremantle
#1 of 1 in East Fremantle
East Perth
Fraser Suites Perth

Been to Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges? Share your experiences!