“Great location & comfy rooms”

Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Fremantle
Perth, Australia
“Great location & comfy rooms”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for a night over Easter. Location is perfect. Got checked in no problem. Room was clean, tidy and comfortable with a nice little balcony. Any staff we came across were friendly. Breakfast the next morning wasn't great, Buffetts are always a hit and miss, some items were cold or had lack of flavour. The only reason we went for it was because it was included with our booking ($209 per night with free breakfast special) But we were then told at check out it was not meant to be included. I think at that price per night you should have some sort of breakfast included anyway! I was able to show them our confirmation tho which stated a free breakfast so no other charges were made, probably a mix up in the online booking. Anyway I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Freo, but there are many lovely cafes about and I would advise maybe to head to one of them for brekkie instead! :)

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SIW123
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Nice to have you stay with us on the weekend and glad you generally enjoyed your experience. I will spend some time with the restaurant and kitchen team on breakfast as I have noted on weekends due to the smaller portions we now have for freshness that we are needing to look at our prcedures to ensure they keep up and dont run out of food when getting hit. I appreciate your commentary on this as it is in line with my personal observations over Easter as well.

David Bornmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed April 1, 2013

It been along time between visits, but after this stay it wont be in the future. Rydges have certainly upped the anti. We loved our stay, our room was excellent value and service was great. See you next time we travel to Freo

1 Thank Pete N
Wow, it was great to have such a positive review from a Senior Contributor, this will certainly be shared with the team for their efforts and hopefully we will be consistent in our delivery moving forward for all of our guests.

KENTHURST
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed at the Esplanade on three separate nights during March as we transited through Fremantle. The staff are friendly and helpful, rooms are a good size and we seemed always to be given a superior room upgrade, but not sure what the non superior rooms are like.

Rooms are well equipped with the usual hotel things, such as tea, instant coffee,TV, iron and board, bar (far too expensive items such as 2 biscuits for $6.50) and no free WiFi. Beds comfortable with good range of pillows and bathroom with bath a good size.

Breakfasts were very good with an excellent range of cereals and hot foods to choose from the buffet. Evening meals in the al a carte restaurant were OK, but the chef would not win too many prizes for the meals that were on the dear side. The evening smorgasbord is a better option with a nice range of colds and hots (including nice seafoods) and a good range of desserts.

Esplanade is in close walking distance to many attractions and Fremantle has a good range of well preserved 19th Century buildings that are well preserved.

We can recommend the hotel for a stay in lovely Freemantle.

Room Tip: The hotel has many rooms and if one does not like walking too much ask fro a room near reception.
1 Thank David J
Appreciate the review of the hotel and the items raised. We are about to roll out a new Wifi system in the hotel which will be faster, more relaiable and will hav functionality of being able to tweak the charge system so guests can have free wifi for browsing etc then be charged for high usage only. The comments on the breakfast is very much appreciated, we have spent a considerable amount of time improving this in the past couple of weeks and to date we have received some great comments from our regulars.

Will look into the restaurant comments as this is disappointing to see you did not enjoy the meals in there, they normally are very good.

Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Inconsistent is probably the word that best describes this place. The location is great, its well placed and has some comfortable aspects, feels open inside and has a touch of old world charm. Having read some comments from previous travellers I was a little apprehensive to stay here as what I did absorb from the hotel manager responses to others is that he seems a little sensitive to feedback and perhaps even closed to feedback unless you are a "senior contributor". (Especially defensive of the brand in the traveller's post on March 12 "Rydges - Typically poor", to which I relate with some similar experiences interstate especially several sites in Melbourne). In my customer service training I have undertaken its pretty poor form to state you disagree with a customer and particularly in a public forum. Anyway, off topic....
What I experienced at the hotel is probably a reflection of the style of management I have read - inconsistent and to some degree closed. I encountered a few good staff, but also a few who looked stressed and some who did not seem to have concern for service nor feedback when I provided it. For example I mentioned to someone at reception that my iron and board seemed old and was told the management had said that they know and would get to it in time. I mentioned that it was not meant to be a criticism and just thought the next guest might appreciate something a little newer (and something that didnt leak) but the nearby staff member who appeared to be one of the more senior people said that Rydges had just taken over a while ago and things have changed and "we have been told there is no money to address things as quickly as before". I was a first time traveller to the hotel and gave it a chance but my feedback was dismissed. Not a great thing for trying to build business.
The rooms are not uncomfortable but to some degree tired. Probably more day to day issues that need to be looked at such as general cleanliness of the rooms, the lobby and restaurant. (Saw the same build up of dirt and stains in one area of the restaurant near the entrance for three days in a row. Surely at least one member of management sees these things?) Some staff training surrounding customer service and complaint handling, as well as perhaps an adjustment at the management level as they have to look objectively at the leadership if similar themes keep emerging from customers.
Restaurant dining was hit and miss. I had dinner once (that was enough) as the service falls way below what is available in nearby cafes. The hotel needs to get used to the fact they are competing with the outside market. I commented to the staff and they said they had food cost targets that were pretty clear, so I guess that means that profit on a dish over repeat business is how they measure their success. A shame the staff at the front line are not equipped to handle feedbackmore productively. I had breakfast on two occasions and it was OK by hotel standard, but lacked any real point of difference to the standard hotel fare. Maybe I have become bored due to the amount of hotel breakfasts I see, but again the cafes outside were far more creative and certainly service far better than the hotel.
Based on the responses from a couple of staff I would summise that the change in brand is not well received and has had more of a negative effect on them at this point. It sounds like the place is being run based on KPI's and targets that are purely financial. Change management can be tough but its rarely the fault of those at the front line and usually a reflection from higher up the chain and a disconnect between the two. If the company takes that on board they might improve.
Whilst I am not a "senior contributor" and in fact this is my first post, dont' discount the travel experience of those who only appear by their profile to have limited experience travelling. For example I'm away around 25-30 nights a year in hotels, am a seasoned and experienced traveller yet am posting only my first review.
I hope the team and manager of the hotel take some lessons away from this as it is to be constructive. You never know who your guests are and you can lose them easily by the attitude you portray both in person and on the web.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CSTrainingVic
Thank you for your personal perspective on the hotel and your analysis on the responses that I take time in writing to the many travellers. I value all comments whether from first time users of Trip advisor or senior reviewers. . I appreciate your feedback and yes although I may take things personally when travellers make a personal slant on the hotel brand I have worked in for over 24 years, I also have a great passion for hospitality and generally this may come across in my notes. Guests are certainly entitled to their opinions and subjectivity but they may not always be right and one hotel certainly is not a reflection or the standard of the entire brand, which is what my comment was to that review.
There are certainly a lot of changes that are occurring as part of the change in ownership and management in the hotel, and I am guessing from all your discussions you took time in having with the team there was an inconsistency in what they seem to know or have been informed of and what is fact. To clarify for other travellers, we have no KPIs in the hotel to not replace anything that is not of a good standard and it is disappointing that a staff member would make this comment to a guest.
It was also disappointing to read you didn’t enjoy the breakfast you experienced here, we have started rolling out a fresh concept that still needs tweaking and more equipment coming, but having experienced the previous chafing dishes and bought in products from prior to taking over to the freshly cooked muffins, smaller chasseur dishes of more variety of hot food, options of hand blended juices, espresso coffee, I have felt the breakfast is a big improvement on what it was and continues to be.
Since coming on board here, there have been many personnel changes, from the team , management and guests, the general feedback is the new management has been a welcome change and although there maybe staff not accepting of this, they may leave and will be replaced with more enthusiastic personnel as we move forward. We are endeavouring to replace and fix things on a priority as we go, the owners have spent nearly $500k on various items in 3 months with forecasted upgrades in many areas moving forward including the public areas and the rooms.
Your review prompts me to address the communication of the plans again with the managers and ensure they are passing this onto the front of house staff so they are in the loop and can get excited about some of the things we intend doing so they feel a part of it. I have all the confidence that this will be the best hotel accommodation in Fremantle as we get these processes and projects in place.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great hotel in such a lovely location in Fremantle. Walking distance from restaurants. Nice sized rooms and friendly staff. Would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Fremantle.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kristy H
David_Bornmann, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thankyou for the great review and that you enjoyed yourself at the hotel. The location is very good and so close to everything it makes it a very convenient stay for travellers.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great location to the fishing harbour and we had a nice park view Room. Service overall was okay...valet parking bit expensive but great service. No free wifi but close to local attractions. We didn't eat at hotel as preferred to try local restaurants. Very close to Cappuccino Strip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nice to see you loved the location close to everything that is enjoyable in Freo! Hope we see you back with us again...

Sydney
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife & I stayed for 1 night in March 2013. We were given an upgrade to a very comfortable pool view room. The hotel is in a great location for many restaurants and bars. We were more than pleased with the hotel amenities and the friendliness of the staff. A most enjoyable stay and we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank michaelbSydney
Was great to see you enjoyed the hotel and the service during your visit, the location is very good, I would say the best in Fremantle! Not only a great park across the road to run around on, but it has a childrens playground, new ferris wheel and entertainment area as well as most weekends having a festival or event for your entertainment.! Hope we see you back with us again.

David Bornmann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fremantle
Be. Fremantle
East Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
Pan Pacific Perth
#12 of 64 in Perth

Been to Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges? Share your experiences!