“Stunning”

Glen Cowans' Studio at the Roundhouse
Ranked #24 of 92 things to do in Fremantle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visit the gallery to view Glen Cowans' photography of marine images inspired by the waters of Western Australia and oceans around the world. His subjects are the seascapes within and the breathlessly beautiful life forms that live there. Cowans' images allow us to contemplate the wondrous life of the oceans. His lens is our microscope, exposing colour and species with a complexity and sculptural form not normally visible to the naked eye.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We came across Glen Cowans' studio by chance. What a fabulous place. His photographs are certainly very special and wonderful pieces of art. I particularly loved how he managed to make beautiful abstract art from amazing views of sea creatures and fish.

What a great view from his studio all the way up the High Street.

2  Thank PerilSinger
UWphotoWA, Owner at Glen Cowans' Studio at the Roundhouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review and I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to the gallery. I hope either myself or Louise had a moment to chat with you and please come back again some time in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Amazing and breathtaking. Saw Glen's underwater photographic images at his studio via the Fremantle Festival last Sunday. His photos made me feel like I was swimming with the dolphins or the stingray, etc.and also that I was a part of the beautiful creatures of the sea.

One of the image I liked in display, was just a light streaming through the water and changing the color of the sand, creating shadows and light bouncing off the background. Simple and profound at the same time.

Glen sure has an eye for for it. Thank you Glen for sharing the underwater beauty with us, and may we appreciate and conserve what is very precious.

2  Thank May B
UWphotoWA, Owner at Glen Cowans' Studio at the Roundhouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We know people's lives are busy, so when someone takes the time to review us, especially in such a positive way we feel very honoured. Delighted you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

For fans of sea life this gallery is a must. Located in what has to be one of Fremantle/Perth's best positions the exhibits here are incredible. Not just another of the myriad underwater and landscape photographers around , Glen's attention to detail and patience in getting the right shot must be appreciated and commended. From various locations around the globe, the variety and intensity of the pieces is wonderful. Of course we are biased, having fallen victim and purchased a number of pieces now we are always on the lookout for something new. Glen's artwork has replaced pieces from more "famous" names at our place. Louise's underwater video is also stunning and worth taking home to provide some great atmosphere. They are also really nice people happy to chat and share their experiences whilst you look around. As a skipper and underwater enthusiast I was lucky enough to meet Glen "on the job" and saw first hand his passion for the aquatic world. We have taken a number of friends from around the world to see his works and most have left with a great impression and at least a small momento! Hard to give a better reference that that. Make sure you have a look here.

2  Thank MadCapt
Glen C, Owner at Glen Cowans' Studio at the Roundhouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for such a lovely review. I had a quick think to try and decide who you were, I think I have guessed but not sure. Anyway, delighted you enjoy the gallery and have become collectors of my work.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I discovered this gallery about 15 months ago, and have been back several times. It is refreshing and unique in that from the moment I stepped inside on a sweltering summer day, I was transported to the cooling, colourful atmosphere of the ocean and life under the waves.

Beautiful photography revealing the magnificence of Nature's design through amazing close-up detail of corals, fish, sand and waves, introduce the visitor to a world that most have never experienced before.

I have not seen a gallery of art or photography anything quite like this artistic studio anywhere in our travels. Glen and Louise are very welcoming and helpful, and if you are an overseas visitor, don't miss the opportunity to speak with them.

2  Thank Noella R
Glen C, Owner at Glen Cowans' Studio at the Roundhouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you Noella for such a wonderful review, delighted that you have enjoyed my work so much. We look forward to seeing you back at the gallery.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I happened upon the studio as I was about to go to the train out of Fremantle, and so easily could have missed this highlight of my time in W.A. After only a few minutes of viewing the photos, I became unexpectedly and uncharacteristically emotional, as I was overwhelmed by the sheer artistic beauty of the work. I felt that here was someone who not only, so obviously, appreciated the splendour of nature, but had the outstanding talent to enhance it and showcase it to us less capable lovers of wildlife. I was mesmerized more as I made my way through the gallery, and thrown into a dilemma- how to choose my favourites, in order to select a purchase, even though I was going to have to keep it safe for the next 4 months of travelling (I just knew I had to have something to take with me). Luckily the cost of these masterpieces is affordable- the selection ranging from cards upwards. It was a shame I only had 45 minutes to indulge in viewing before closing time, and no chance to return, but a pleasure to meet Glen, who is much too modest!

1  Thank tracey k
UWphotoWA, Owner at Glen Cowans' Studio at the Roundhouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Hi Tracey, I think I remember talking with you and enjoyed it very much.
It is oh so wonderful when people have emotional responses to my work, I think that is the high point for any art or artist to achieve and each time it happens I am flattered that it is so. Humans are such emotive creatures and if my work can make people appreciate and even love what is of and in the oceans of this planet, then it reminds me that I am in a small way helping the world on a path that will hopefully save our oceans for future generations.
Thank you so much for a wonderful review Tracey.
Glen