“Those stairs to the attic are dangerous and steep”

Fremantle Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 21 Fremantle B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I thought this was in a great location but that's where it finised. The carpets and mats were so dirty and stained all though the dining area and dirty mat in the bedroom yuk. And a bit weird that it's a B&B but that no one lives there. Or there is no one to even greet you very strange. And those stairs to the attic I would rather have been told before on the website about the stairs, my husband has a heart condition. Not a place I would recommend and very expensive for what you got.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julier161
Peter D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for the feedback about your experiences at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast. Please be advised that I take on board all comments, whether favourable or unfavourable.

Firstly, our building is a Class 1A heritage listed building (the highest heritage listing) and I am not permitted to alter the internal or external areas. I am very aware how steep the 19 steps from the first floor to the top floor are but I cannot do anything to resolve the matter. I have tried to get permission to install a small lift in a disused staircase shaft, which runs from the Downunder Suite in the basement to the top floor, but permission from the heritage authorities was denied.

I have just returned from an overseas trip and was away during your stay. The manager ran both our B&B's during my absence which required him to spend time at each place. I am sorry that you did not meet my manager during your stay.

I have booked the carpet cleaners to wash all rugs and carpets at the B&B as a matter of urgency but, due to a heavy work load, this will take place over the next few weeks. Although having carpet on the ground floor looks good, the carpets do suffer from coffee, tea and food spillages from time to time. Generally these marks are removed by the housekeepers at the time but sometimes it requires heavy duty cleaning, such as now.

I apologise for the state of the carpets during your stay, but please be assured that the matter is being attended to. I have checked the carpet, which is vacuumed daily, in the Attic Suite and can find no marks or stains. As stated, all rugs at the B&B will be cleaned professionally.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having already stayed in another B&B in Fremantle owned by the people who own this this I was expecting a positive experience - and I wasn't disappointed!

I wanted accommodation close to Cha Cha Bull, the venue where we were meeting friends for dinner.

The building is extraordinary and thankfully has been preserved and restored (and a bit of renovation) well. Our room (the only one of the 5 rooms with an ensuite) was on the top floor. Even our old knees were able to deal with the stairs.

The furnishings and decorations added to the positive experience.

Didn't see or hear another person, although I know there were others staying.

Breakfast was delicious and more than enough.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - though my hubby said as much as he enjoyed staying here, he is committed to trying other available B&Bs as needed.

Room Tip: The top room (5) has a private ensuite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments. Our staff (although sometimes unseen) take pride in our premises.

I am pleased you enjoyed your experience at Char Char Bull (which is one of my favourite restaurants) on the waterfront in Fremantle.

After you have experienced the other B&B's in Fremantle, and I know they will be to your satisfaction, we would love to see you back with us in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We found this place to be nice and quiet. The building and decor is nice. Everything is within walking distance.
Ferry to Rottnest is only across the road.
Breakfast was good. Cereal, toast, coffee, juice, yoghurt all self service. We didn't meet any owner or staff at any stage which w a little strange for a B+B and we felt it was a bit pricey but probably in keeping with local prices.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked out the entire B&B for a work function. After dinner in Fremantle it was the perfect place to come back to to relax and spend time catching up. The location was fantastic. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and very comfortable. Didn't hear any street noise at night. Just wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you Kate for your comments. I sincerely hope you and your work colleagues enjoyed your function as much as you enjoyed our hospitality.

I look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Peter Donovan (Owner)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Fremantle, mostly due to this charming little B & B and it's fantastic host Peter. We were only a short walk from Fremantle Centre, as well as the Esplanade, and all it's restaurants and attractions. The room was delightful, the breakfast delicious, and Peter could not have been a more courteous, friendly and helpful host, whether it be recommending the sights or the best places to eat, or offering to drive us to Cottesloe when we mentioned we were thinking of catching the train there. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Freo!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you Leon and Josie for your lovely comments. You are a delightful couple. It was my pleasure to be able to assist and give advice during your 4-night stay at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast.

I hope to see you both back in Fremantle sometime in the future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a great place to stay. The location is awesome. We had the down under suite which included laundry facilities to catch up after a 16 day cruise. It is .5 blocks to the free bus and 3 blocks to the pier for Rotnest Island or Perth boats.

Room Tip: We had basement room but the other rooms are up flight of stairs. There is also a bathroom with a hu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for your comments.

Fremantle Bed and Breakfast is in the perfect location for cruise ships, the Rottnest Island ferry and all the amenities for Fremantle are within walking distance.

The Downunder Suite is a great choice, especially after a long cruise, where you can do your washing and drying and have breakfast in the privacy of your own Suite. It is an extremely popular Suite.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Tarrantella Room (top floor) and other than the bags up stairs - we had a great stay which was heightened with leaving we mentioned we were "training " it back to Perth and hopeing to stop off at Cottseloe Beach. Peter said the station was not close to the beach and with that offered to show us around as he wanted to get out and about (and we were only guests checking out that morning)
He went out of his way to show off Cottesloe Beach (Indiana Team Rooms very nice) - we too k some pictures and he then dropped us back to the Ferry Terminal in Freo - so we could take the River Cruise back to Perth. This is just well above any normal B & B we have ever used and the Continental Breakfast is excellent as well. A great overall hospitality experince !!

Room Tip: I'd think peter would be very recpetive to a call before hand if you did wish to clarify anythin...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

It always gives me great delight to give something a little extra to our guests whenever possible. I love Cottesloe beach and the surrounds but I don't always have the chance to go there on our lovely Spring days. The opportunity to take my guests there was as good for me as it was to them.

I very much appreciate the comments.