“We got bed bugs!!”

Schuetzenbach Backpackers & Camping
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Again we stayed here as part of a group, breathtaking views, the rooms from first view are tiny so be aware, this got worse after the first night. We both got bed bugs......and it wasn't just us in our group that got them, our tour guide didn't seem very phased he was just more interested in getting smashed with the barman, also any place where you have to pay to have a shower is ridiculous! I mean I know they don't want people to go and have 30 min showers every time but I'm sure they could put an automatic timer on the showers to they cut out after a certain time. Especially when you pay for a shower and it is stone cold. Not the best.
We went into the bar and my fiancé got a beer, 5 swiss francs we thought not bad, however we went to the supermarket in the village the next day and the exact same beer in a bottle slightly bigger than he got the night before was 1 swiss franc 45.......he ended up getting 4 of them and putting them in the snow when we got back to the site.
I will warn you that if you go as part of a group the drinkers take up all of the bar area, its not the biggest bar in the world but if you don't want to drink or just want to relax and have a couple then there is no where else to go and chill out on the site. Also there are no locks on the doors to the cabins, not such a big deal if you are travelling as part of a group but would be worrying if travelling as a couple or single. Be aware though if you leave the door to your cabin open for more than a minute it cuts out the heating to all the cabins on site, so if you don't want to be cold at night, id keep that door closed.
Aside from getting bed bugs and things being grossly overpriced at the accommodation, the views are beautiful and we had lots of fun in the village wondering around and looking at all the houses, and having snowball fights.
I would go to the Swiss Alps again, perhaps not back to Lauterbrunnen as its a little too sleepy for me.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank keljam731
There are newer reviews for Schuetzenbach Backpackers & Camping

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have now stayed at this hostel twice and both times it was fantastic. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and the location is amazing! I stayed for 2 nights each time and the rooms are cosy and warm. You have to walk up some stairs outside to get to the bathrooms but who can complain about such breathtaking views of the valley each time you leave your room.

I will definitely be coming back for a third time this summer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Loved Lauterbrunnen!! I had read reviews on here of people saying there was no locks on the door and this bothered me... before I rocked up. This town is so cute and so safe you don't even worry about it. We stayed here on a Top Deck Trip so the other people around us were our own travel buddies so it felt safe. the cabins had two bunks each which was all we needed and we had a beautiful view of the waterfall from our window. The female bathrooms were up a flight of stairs but the males were downstairs which I didn't think was fair. Also you need 1/2 francs to use the shower for 4 minutes which was annoying because you had to make sure you had the coins otherwise you had to go to reception to get change, but reception was only open for certain hours so you couldn't decide you wanted a shower late at night unless you had the coins. Also some people had to put in a few coins as it didn't quite do 4 minutes sometimes. other then that they were clean enough for a camping village. As the town is small anyway the town is in walking distance from here as well, and it's a beautiful walk.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarahlikestogoplaces
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Visited Schutzenbach Backpacker & Camping earlier this year in June during summertime. Tucked away in a tiny corner of Lauterbrunnen, you have to walk your way up to the train / cable car area - where more restaurants can be found, but there are very few restaurants in Lauterbrunnen in the first place - most are expensive and often packed with people due to the limited choices, there is a co-op supermarket in town though.

The trek up to town takes around 15 minutes and there are many, many slugs on the way, crawling out from the bushes but of course this isn't the fault of the accommodation. There are also bus services to get around Lauterbrunnen itself so that's a plus that it stops directly outside Schutzenbach. Do not walk back to Schutzenbach on foot, especially at night. You will find the soles of your shoes covered in the slimy guts of slugs without knowing what you were stepping on.

Rows and rows of wooden huts situated outside of the main building where the cashier is; Wi-Fi was expensive, and we had to pay for it, although it was allegedly "free". We had to pay to bathe for every 3 minutes and we had to pay to cook something every 10 minutes - which made us feel very out of place.

Service was generally okay, provided good information on how to reach Schilthorn and treks along the way with good scenery.

The rooms were small, compact, 4 beds in total, double-decked, really nothing much other than a closet, heater and that was pretty much it. Toilet was located next to the main building. The gents were on the floor level whilst the ladies were on the second level. It was a trouble to get up at night and having to walk to the toilet in a separate building.

There are always a bunch of old men outside the main building drinking alcohol and chatting; unsure who they are though. There is also a creek outside the main building with a stream of icy water, used to cool drinks (you can only cool your drinks there only if they are bought from them).

WARNING - the machine in the Male's toilet scribbled with words all over it in German ISN'T what you think it is - it is NOT a coin exchanger. I fell for it by thinking that it is actually a coin exchanger by dropping 5 francs in it and, let's just say something nasty popped out.

Turned it in to the people at the counter and they refunded me 5 francs - in small change.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SG_Jun
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Beautiful little town in Switzerland, this place has great scenery and a great location. I stayed here on my topdeck trip, the rooms were on the small side, basically just 2 bunk beds and not much luggage space.

You did have to pay to use the showers which was annoying if you didn't have any Swiss currency on you.

You did have to pay for wifi, but overall a good and clean place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Whether you're backing packing around by yourself or with a family even if recommend Schutzenbach Camping & Backpackers!!

LOCATION:

Goodness me, if you're wanting a place with views this is the place you need to stay! You look to one side you see mountains with green beautiful scenery and to the other side a waterfall with mountains and snow behind it!! Honestly a breath taking place when it comes to location

ROOMS: I stayed in a cabin of 4, I was in a tour group so it didn't matter so much. It was value for money I guess.. no air con or nothing like that but you get sheets and what not, you just have to bring your own sleeping back! They are cute and cosy! There are accommodation but I only viewed the cabins!

FACILITIES: The great thing about this place was that it had a place to do your laundry! Always a plus when you're back packing around! didnt cost too much either! BUT just on a side note... the showers cost 5 Franks for 2 minutes.. which is nothing but just letting you know. They also have a little shop where you can by snacks and drinks.. also a BAR :D so much fun this bar... I went with a Topdeck group.. there was about 50 of us in our group plus another 2/3 groups so it was packed. That's something you may want to keep in mind as well... its a chosen place for Topdeck and Contiki travel. There is a little play ground for children as well.

all in all,, loved this place and the views

Room Tip: This location of this place will take your breath away!! If you have the money make sure you do the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed here on a Topdeck trip. The location was absolutely beautiful (and so is all of Lauterbrunnen!) The cabins were nice but basic and facilities clean. There was a bar which was lots of fun. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Silberhorn
#1 of 11 in Murren
Camping Jungfrau
Camping Jungfrau
#1 of 9 in Lauterbrunnen

Been to Schuetzenbach Backpackers & Camping? Share your experiences!