“Best hostel i've stayed in.”
Review of Valley Hostel

and 1 more site!
Valley Hostel
hull
“Best hostel i've stayed in.”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

If you think a Hostel is not for you then think again. In 2012 I stayed in Lauterbrunnen at the Hotel Silberhorn and payed €130 per night and the next year on another road trip I stayed at the hostel and payed €20. The hostel was by far a better experience. The room at the hostel was bigger the people running it were nicer they had free wifi everywhere and I saved €120. My wife had her concerns on booking the hostel but we had a private room and she loved her stay.

Try it you will love it

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank itsfredlife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Rafael, California
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here as a family, in a triple..two beds, one double and a single. The view from our balcony was great. We loved the cozy paneling feel of the room, plus the red checked comforters. We used the kitchen, handy since we were still getting over jet lag and a place to make a cup of tea at 6 am was a bonus. Very clean, not very loud..unless you count the loud talkers one night on the balcony next door...not the fault of the hostel. Great location as a base for exploring the area. Magical! And, thanks for the candy bars that we got on check out..

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing staubbach falls.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My friend and I stayed years ago so I hope not much has changed. According to their website, it looks similar. We stayed a night in a double, then went up to Gimmelwald, and came back and stayed in one of the dorm rooms. The double was perfect. We were about 5 days into our trip and needed to feel comfortable sleeping for once. The view was amazing, just something you don't see anywhere else. I remember we didn't want to cook so we walked into town and didn't find much open due to a holiday. We found one place that sold us a pizza and we took it back to the hostel. We could (may have changed since) go down to the main desk and buy cold beers for $1 so we chilled in our room and had a quiet night.

The funny thing was when my friend would go get a beer, the gentelman running the hostel (also could have changed since then) would not sell to him so I had to go. It was odd but in the morning he realized his mistake and explained. They were only allowed to sell beer to people staying at the hostel and thought my friend just came in from the street. We got an apology and sent on our way to Gimmelwald. The best part is when we came back 2 days later to spend one more night, we were greeted like family. The lady who helped run it was gardening and proclaimed "the boys are back!" as we walked down the driveway. When we reached her we turned around and there was the other owner, handing us beers on the house as another apology. That night we cooked and hung out with the other people just like any other friendly hostel. The one issue I had was i ended up sleeping in a bunk bed or loft next to a window and the cold spring night made me sick for the next 3 days. Not really their fault but the bed shouldn't have been that close to a poorly insulated window. I still enjoyed it and would stay there again, though not in a dorm as I can now afford $30 a night!

Room Tip: If at some point you want to not stay in a dorm, this is the place to "splurge"
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Considering the high cost of accommodation in Switzerland, this hostel provided reasonably priced and comfortable rooms. We took a room for 4 and it was a very pleasant one with a great scenic view! (Waterfalls and mountains).

There is a separate room (with lock) for keeping the baggage. That proved quite helpful for us on our last day (after we checked out).

And yes, its hardly 400-500 mts from the station!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We were lucky to be allocated a room facing the staubach falls directly which was a magnificent view. The room itself was basic with adequate space. Kitchen was very useful for us and had no problems sharing with others but 1 toilet/bathroom to be shared by 4 rooms was pushing it. Had no interaction with staff after check in but found staff to be quite rude as we were checking out. We were basically rushed out of the place which soured what was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tek_m_l
Paris, France
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We booked a 3 night stay starting October 23, 2013. We booked a private twin room, which seemed very nice, with great location and views. However, the first night I had the worst nights sleep of my life, as i could feel myself being bitten all night. It was only in the morning when I inspected the sheets that I realised this was due to bed bugs (i've never encountered bed bugs before in my life). The there we approximately half a dozen dead bed bug on my sheet, and brown smears everywhere. We had scheduled to visit Jungfraujoch early that morning, and departed before the hostel reception was open. When we arrived back after lunch and complained to reception, they were already aware of the problem ( we could tell they have been in our room as the dead bugs were gone and trash emptied). They apologised, upgraded us to a private double room, and paid for us to use their laundry facilities. Overall, we were satisfied with the way they handled the situation, however, our stay was definitely much less enjoyable as a result. I received over 250 bites all over my body, and my wife around 140 (including her face). I am writing this review 1 week later and we still have all of the bites and they itch almost every moment of the day.
Other than the bed bugs, our stay in Lauterbrunnen was amazing. The hostel was one of the best we have stayed in and Jungfrau was well worth the exorbitant entry price. Just don't stay in Room 11 any time soon, as we have seen another recent post about bed bugs in this room. They told us that they had the room professionally exterminated recently, but we are still disappointed that we were given this room, as the hostel seemed relatively empty. We can't help but feel that they were using us as test dummies.

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in room 11
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Traveled with friends and stayed in the private quad room. We managed to stay in the new building and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! View from our room was beautiful, facing the mountains and waterfalls. Room was clean and comfortable, common bathrooms were just opposite our room and they were very clean as well. Only down side of the room was that the sound-proofing of the walls were not good (or maybe the walls were thin), especially when people were talking right outside our room, ear plugs will then come in handy! There was a common kitchen and eating area for our building so it got a little crowded during dinner time but overall, kitchen was well equipped and big. Didn't manage to speak to the hostel staff but Lauterbrunnen is a small town and we had no problems finding our way around, we loved the stay!
For the wonderful views, clean room & bathrooms and convenient location, this hostel is highly recommended and I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new building if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Silberhorn
#2 of 20 in Wengen
Eiger Guesthouse
Eiger Guesthouse
#2 of 11 in Murren

Been to Valley Hostel? Share your experiences!