“Not for me”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
Sydney, Australia
“Not for me”
Reviewed November 18, 2006

I was really looking forward to staying at the Silberhorn after reading good reviews on here, but unfortunately it didnt live up to our expectations.

The room was ok, clean, and of average size. But the bed was the most uncomfortable bed on my whole trip, and after a very bad nights sleep I was woken up quite early by the construction next door. Due to this, we ended up checking out of the hotel after one night.

We had dinner in the hotel, and were not impressed by the selection of food, prices or the service.

On the positive side, the breakfast was good and the staff at reception were friendly. It is a nice enough hotel, it just wasnt suited to our needs.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank teamsarge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed October 3, 2006

We recently spent several day athe Hotel Silberhorn. There were three adults in our party. We had two rooms sharing a bath. The main bedroom had a kingsize bed and a skylight with an amazing view of the Alps. The second room had a twin bed and a set of bunkbeds. There was also a sink in that room. The staff was very helpful, the included breakfast was filling, the hotel beautifully landscaped and the rooms clean, comfortable and nicely appointed. The hotel is a wonderful homebase for an Alpine vacation.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank rtkunstal
Cape Girardeau Missouri
Reviewed September 16, 2006

The desk staff at the Silberhorn Hotel is very nice and speaks English. The funicular construction immediately adjacent to the hotel is noisy, but is expected to be completed by December, 2006, according to the sign on the site. I had a room at the back, next to the construction, without a balcony or view, but I only paid $72 US a night for the room, so it wasn't a bad deal. If I had it to do over, I think I would change to a more expensive room at the front or side of the hotel (or the building in back) to have a better experience. I also had a run-in with the restaurant staff, who were reluctant to give me ice to take to my room. I absolutely loved Lauterbrunnen. I do believe my heart is still there, although the rest of my body flew back to the states earlier this week.

• Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank mjnbrown
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2006

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

The place needs a full revamp. It is very dated , although clean, and had the feeling of a retirement home.

Had one meal in the hotel, very expensive and the contents not fully explained. I ended up having the worst meal of my life, terrible. To top it off the music was so annoying.

The rooms were dated, but clean, and the views wonderful.

We did some great trekking from the hotel, so location is great.

Wisey and Sue
Victoria
Australia

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank wisey29226
New York, NY
Reviewed July 27, 2006

An OK hotel, but not the best. They are building a new funicular directly next to the hotel right now, so there is a LOT of construction noise that begins at around 7AM in the morning and continues as late as 6-7PM at night. If you are unlucky enough to be on the back of the hotel, this will be a significant issue, esp. if you want a little rest or nap later in the afternoon after a long day of hiking, etc. Bathrooms VERY tiny and there is only a thin sliding glass door (not optimal for privacy). No fridge or minibar in the room. No air conditioning in the rooms. Only 2 very thin feather pillows on the beds and no extra pillows in the closets. Staff only moderately friendly, and English skills are not the best. Breakfast is very good and all-you-can-eat, but I personally could have done without the threatening sign on the buffet which tells you not to make a sandwhich for later out of the breakfast. I mean honestly, who cares?

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GSchafe
phoenix arizona
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed at the Silberhorn in June, 2006; 2 adults and a 13 year old. We had a corner room with windows on two walls with a spectacuar view of the mountains and several water falls. From our deck we could hear and see a very large waterfall. Our room was fine by European standards; certainly not modern but very nice looking and very clean. The Inn has beautiful flowers outdoors and a little green area where we watched and listened to birds sing as we had our morning coffee. Included breakfast was nice. They have two dining options at dinner, a fixed price dinner or al la carte. Also dining inside or on a glassed in patio. We found the food to be excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. It felt more like staying in a B&B. We will return to Lauterbrunnen and we will book at the Silberhorn.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank tres56
Orewa, New Zealand
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We enjoyed our 5 nights at the Silberhorn in June. We arrived from Italy which unfortunately was a nightmare journey so we were tired and grumpy when we got there. They efficiently installed us in our room, which was in a separate building to the main chalet. We had an upgraded room with magnificent views up the valley. For thenext few days we spent very little time at the hotel but what time we did spend there was enjoyable. Only ate one meal at the hotel which was very nice. If I was returning to Lauterbrunnen I would definately stay again, although our travels around Europe lead us to believe that the Bernese Oberland is grossly overpriced for food, accommodation, activities etc, compared to equally beautiful areas of Italy, Austria and Germany. For that reason only we would not return in a hurry

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Redbeach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Oberland
#4 of 7 in Lauterbrunnen
Beausite Park Hotel
Beausite Park Hotel
#1 of 20 in Wengen

Been to Hotel Silberhorn? Share your experiences!