“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
Adelaide, Australia
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed in Lauterbrunnen on the recommendation of a lady we met in a hotel in Florence a few days earlier. The hotel she stayed in was not available so we chose this one and have absolutely no regrets. Perfectly located, close to the train station - bit of a hike up the hill, but it's easier on the way down! We don't ski, but just wanted to experience the swiss alps and this helped achieve that. The room was very comfortable and we had a balcony which helped us to enjoy the great views. The breakfast room was very nice and for the first time we actually ate in the hotel we were staying at - and we enjoyed it so much we did it for each of the three nights. Hope one day we have the opportunity to revisit and this would definitely be my first choice to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mac2_a380

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
Netherlands
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for a skiing week in february 2013, and really liked it. At first I wanted to book through bookings, but then discovered the hotel itself has a very good offer: 999 Franks for a room, including dinner and a ski pass. It was even better that being single I got a very good double room with a nice view on the Jungfrau. This is not expensive, especially given the location of the hotel, the good rooms and the very good dinner. When skiing at Murren, you can even ski almost to the hotel (if the comditions are good).
Of course there are some drawbacks, mainly because nothing really happens in Lauterbrunnen (but it is a nice valley), and it is not a luxury hotel (no swimming pool or sauna - so go somewhere else if you need these). However, I found a very good hotel for this price. I can recommend it!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BramNetherlands
Strasbourg, France
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very good Breakfast, very good view on the valley.
Perfect location, very close to train station and urban transports
Good info on ski areas

Small "minus" in this list would be a difficult access to the parking, when snowing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boston
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Perfect location for exploring the area. Loved the hotel restaurant too. Charming people, efficient and clean establishment. Though place is a bit tired. Some of the hall decorations are kitchy. Plenty of wood for a cozy swiss feel but the balcony furnature is white plasitc, the curtains are white cotton and the furnature is dated. We had a great view however, and the beds were comfortablewith immaculte maybe new comforters and the shower was modern enough with good pressure and decent towels. Parking is free, in a lot beside the hotel so it was easy to come and go. Our room was huge. The TV was old and small and we didn't even attempt to turn it on.I liked watching the gondola come and go. The room was quiet and restful.

Room Tip: rooms seem to vary greatly. There were even multiple buildings involved so "standard" woul...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flosser
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in the apartment owned by the hotel across the road from the hotel . It is modern and spotless, the views from the window are breathtaking you can watch the cog train make its journey up the mountain in the evening all illuminated it reminded out children of the coca cola advert .
The station is a 2 min walk down the path and brings you out next to the co-op.
we stayed over Christmas and new year and can't wait to get back .

The staff at the hotel are so helpful and welcoming nothing is too much trouble - you can use the bar and restraint .
The apartment had everything from coffee maker to washing machine a real home from home .

The snow was excellent and so was the skiing . Loved the waterfalls and the people .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank g3mrh
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I booked this hotel through expedia -I called expedia to cancel the reservation a couple of days before I was to stay here because of the weather- I called expedia and they called the hotel while I was on the line and the hotel representative confirmed my cancellation and stated that I would not be charged as confirmed by the expedia representative. When I got home from my trip the hotel had charged me anyway- I had emailed the hotel who stated they would need to get back to me- I waited for weeks with no response and had to email them again- person just stated was sorry and not their fault. It is obvious that the do not care about customer service and do not handle their business in a professional manner and know how to keep up with cancellations or work together with expedia to resolve any issues and charge you even though they say they will not so I don't recommend them based on their unprofessionalism.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pivo87
Columbus, OH
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We only stayed here for one night. We wish we had more time here. This is a family run hotel and the hospitality really shows.

The woman at the front desk was very kind and helped us with the plans we had for the day. We were given a room with a beautiful view of the waterfall. The hotel is right next to the train station. Which is great if you plan to venture up into the mountains. The breakfast was very good. They had a really diverse selection of food. Even a few American staples.

Lauterbrunnen is really small. You can walk through town in about 10 minutes. There are a handful of restaurants and Silberhorn has one of the best. We did not make reservations so we ended up eating down the street. Fondue, rosti, raclete and bier... Try them all and wash it down with a hot chocolate for desert. The food was amazing.

We are planning our next trip and I'm pretty sure we will be back to lauterbrunnen and hotel Silberhorn for a few more nights.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Fylbrik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Oberland
#3 of 7 in Lauterbrunnen
Eiger Guesthouse
Eiger Guesthouse
#2 of 11 in Murren

Been to Hotel Silberhorn? Share your experiences!