“Hotel-Restaurant Schutzen in Lauterbrunnen, CH”

Hotel Restaurant Schutzen
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
Louisville
“Hotel-Restaurant Schutzen in Lauterbrunnen, CH”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Prior to a river cruise in early June this year we spent three fabulous days in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. We stayed at the Hotel-Restaurant Schutzen and, particularly looking back, it was a great selection. Our host/owner Andreas was very friendly and hospitable. The rooms were quite adequate, clean and the beds very comfortable. We ate two meals there and the food was good.

We walked from the train station to the hotel and it took about 10-15 minutes. It was slightly uphill (but downhill when you leave) but the town of Lauterbrunnen takes your mind off of any possible fatigue that might begin to set in. It is easy to spot the hotel because there is a high waterfall that can be seen in the distance behind the hotel.

We would stay there again.

We considered staying in Grindelwald but I think Lauterbrunnen was the right choice. Plus, if you are traveling to Grindelwald in the next few months note that there is major construction in the downtown area. I'm sure it will be nice when completed but a bit torn up right now.

Room Tip: Once we arrive we always look before we agree on a room. Hotels have always been willing to move yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Very nice hotel in a central location in Lauterbrunnen with great service from the owner even though we arrived before check in time. Great views from the balcony of our first floor room. Room was clean and spacious.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Our stay was very agreable. Clean rooms, quite atmosphere, decent breakfast. Unlikely other comments here, the owner is a very friendly guy who welcomed us with a smille, good humour and gave us some good tips to hike and chill around. We will stay here again!

New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is the worst hotel experience of my life. the guy at reception is a cheat, who is arrogant, and jerk kind of a guy. mind you, he appears to be the owner of the hotel, who is just cheating people in every possible way. certain things you must know.
Don't book this hotel looking at photographs, as you may get something worst, and you may not get what you asked for.
only 4 beds in one room is ok, rest all the rooms are bad. if you pick up a room which fits 2 people in the bedroom, it is the worst, as the room is not even sufficient for one person. the guy is arrogant, and prick. you dont even feel like talking to him even for a minute.
coming to the location, this hotel is not in interlaken, and is in place called as lauterbrunnen, which is half an hour either by train or by bus to reach to the place called lauterbrunnen, and is far off from the city area of interlaken.
view wise, provided you get a room with a view, is good. but i assume entire switzerland has good views. i would not advise this hotel to anyone. even the breakfast costs more than other hotels, and the owner tries to fleece everything out of you. for example the owner told me that he charges extra 2% if you wish to pay by credit cards.
another thing he said.
if you need any information, speak to me before 8 PM, as after i am Drinking, and i am not hearing anything.

thats the way he speaks, choice is yours. enjoy

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank ankitkhetarpal

Travelers are raving about these Lauterbrunnen hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed June 19, 2014

So we arrived late (thanks to delay in all our connecting trains) and we meet the host (or owner, not sure) Andreas, who is utterly rude in his reception. He coarsely reminds us that we are late and this is not the time to check in even though we informed him about our train delays and gently apologized for the inconvenience caused. But he never seemed affable or even cordial, to say the least. (We sense that he was even drunk, not sure though).
So, we have a horrible check-in without completion of any formalities and then he calls up early morning 7:30 asking us to complete the check-in process immediately. Ruins the start of the day again. During the check-in process too the guy was very rude and I finally retaliated. We in fact contemplated leaving the hotel for rest of the nights and booking some other hotel. However, as that would be lot of re-work and we had come on a holiday to enjoy, we ignored.
The hotel as such to say is against a nice backdrop of mountains but so are all the other hotels in Lauterbrunnen (it is a very small town, summed in a long street). The room was tiny and nothing to cheer about. Overall still manageable but his attitude/behavior was incorrigible. Someone should remind him that good stay doesn't only involve brick and stones but more importantly an amiable/courteous host. And yes, also remind him, we are PAYING for this!
If you're planning for a nice, enjoyable vacation, this guy's avoidable for sure!

4 Thank Naveen K
Seattle
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just had an overpriced dinner at this restaurant. However to be fair everything is overpriced in Lauterbrunnen.
However, my big complaint is that after our meal we were charged 2.50 CHF for each glass of tap water we ordered. I was clear to specify a glass of tap water and said "not bottled water" when I ordered. When we got the bill with a 7.50CHF charge I questioned the waiter. It was only then that he showed me the menu which showed me choices of 2.00 CHF and 2.50 CHF. Had I known I would have not ordered the water. When I asked him why he gave us the higher price and didn't ask us what size we wanted he became argumentive I had to ask to talk with the manager who explained if you order a glass of water before you order your food or any other drinks you will be charged for the water. He says this is the way it is throughout Switzerland. So even though we ordered 3 meals and wine and beer, we were charged for the water because I asked for it first.
This was a very embarrassing situation and I just wanted to tell others so they will be aware of the Swiss ways. The manager did give us the money back, but went on to an. explanation about why they have charge for water this way as the waiters don't get tips like they do in America.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank salogga
Kailua-Kona
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I always check Tripadvisor before booking and noted the bad review from mac471. Since almost all of the other reviews of this hotel were positive, I figured somebody just had a bad day, so I booked for a 3 day stay. (I managed a resort motel in my past).
Then I meet Andreas. Now this guy has a quirky sense of humor (which I recognized instantly as I do, too). If you take him literally, it's easy to think he is rude, but I assure you he is not. Leanna's comment that he is "sweet" I was originally going to comment on, but she's right. Take his sense of humor in stride and this is a sweet guy.
We, too, arrived early--but that's when the train got in, and I don't wear a watch on holiday. When I saw the check-in time on the door, I asked Diane what time it was, and when I learned it was early, sat down outside to wait. No big deal. Andreas opened the door, said he saw us standing there and invited us in. I said, no rush, and he said he wasn't quite set up, but he helped us anyway. Then his jokes started. Well, i can tell jokes, too. Pretty soon, we were best buddies, and he went out of his way to to make sure we enjoyed our first day in Lauterbrunnen (we had a Swiss pass we could still use for the rest of the day). He suggested a couple of trips that would now be free, and they were great, because the one we took was to Grimmelwald, the little village Rick Steves loves so much, and then on to Murren, which we didn't make it to, having dinner in Grimmelwald instead.
As to the nickel and diming review--yep, the guy charges for what he has, but he's upfront about it, not like American hotels that tack on a "Resort Fee" when you're checking in. I rate resort fees with the word "gourmet" on a menu--won't go in.
The room we ended up with was clean, modern, kinda rustic, clean, tiled bathroom--no linoleum, with a balcony with a view of the waterfall and Jungfrau that won't quit. In such a beautiful piece of the world, I'm not even going to compare prices with a dusty motel on the prairie in Broken Pelvis, Montana. You get what you paid for, and this room would have cost 3 times as much if it overlooked a valley and waterfalls, like in Yosemite, in the US.

Room Tip: Three tips: 1. Ask for, bargain for, and pay for a room with a balcony facing the waterfall. Andr...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Silberhorn
Hotel Victoria-Lauberhorn
Hotel Belvedere
Hotel Belvedere
#9 of 20 in Wengen

Been to Hotel Restaurant Schutzen? Share your experiences!