We took the train across Switzerland from Paris, which I would recommend to anyone. I did a lot of research to find this gem and I couldn't have been happier. I mainly chose it for the geographic beauty and proximity to Jungfrau. My husband requested a room with the waterfall view (Stabbach Falls - 300 meters in height). We arrived late at night, so went straight to bed. I woke up right before sunrise and went onto the patio where I thought I was in heaven. The view is the most beautiful I had ever seen. As the sun came up, it became even more beautiful. You absolutely cannot take a bad picture in this region. This is a photographers dream.
Breakfast was wonderful - nice variety, with a breathtaking view of the waterfall from our table by the window. One of the staff members (I want to say Maria?) was extremely friendly and helpful. She visited each guest, helped them with their daily plans, gave tips and advice, etc... She actually helped us plan our whole first day, giving us exact instructions on how to reach each area, choices we had, how long each hiking segment was, modes of transport, and so on; it was the perfect day. We were fortunate because we had perfect weather the whole time we were there - no rain.
The manager was exceptional, as well. She was very helpful in answering our questions, making suggestions for us, and very friendly, always - just like all the staff we encountered during our stay. I have nothing but good things to say about all of them. Also, the staff is multilingual.
Our room was very simple. It was tiny and amenities were very basic, but everything else was so perfect we didn't care. The balcony was the highlight of our room; in fact, we slept with the doors open part of the night to enjoy the view and fresh air.
The town was quaint and picturesque, but the shops are pricey, even for simple things. Bottled water was very pricey in this area, and was $10 a bottle when we were near the top of Shilthorn. I highly recommend the Jungfraujoch, Shilthorn, and Trummelbach Falls (Europe's largest subterranean waterfalls) ; also, hiking, riding the various modes of transportation, and anything and everything you have the time and money to do - you won't regret any of it. We can't wait to go back. If you are looking for outdoor fun, beautiful scenery, clean air, and a down-to-earth place to lie your head, this is a great choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a modest middle class hotel. Built in 1890 and put to a new use as a bed & breakfast; enjoy the charm of our landmark hotel in a friendly, informal atmosphere. Only an 8-10 minute walk from the train station, we are the perfect base to explore the region, close enough to enjoy the best views in town of the Staubbach falls but far enough away to stay dry. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Staubbach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Staubbach Hotel Lauterbrunnen
- Hotel Staubbach Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland - Jungfrau