“Delicious Fondue” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Silberhorn restaurant

Hotel Silberhorn restaurant
Cuisines: Swiss, European
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: This restaurant is located next to the cable car station and across from the train station, but you must walk up a short hill to the Hotel Silberhorn to reach it. The restaurant was without a doubt the best one we ate in while in Lauterbrunnen although all of the restaurants and even the internet cafe had excellent food. The decor was more upscale than the other hotel restaurants and seemed more updated, also. We wouldn't have known about the Silberhorn restaurant if our bicycle-tour guide hadn't told us about it when we asked her which was her favorite restaurant in Lauterbrunnen.
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Fondue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything in Switzerland is expensive and the Hotel Silberhorn restaurant is no exception. But the Fondue left us coming back for more. After a full day of hiking and adventure, we stumbled back into this restaurant 2 out of our 3 days for the Fondue. Our Portuguese server was a delight and the food delicious.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Mediocre but nice staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had the Carpaccio (which came full of onions) and then the green salad (very good) and then the veal's liver with roeschti which was ok, but nothing to write home about. May be ok or Lauterbrunnen but definitely not on the map if compared to good places nationally or internationallt.

• Visited August 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent !!! Definately will be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Well, my wife and I were in the valley for 9 days! And out of the 9 days, we ate here for 4 nights. I would have eaten here every night but I guess I have to try more restaurent rather than sticking to one.

Reason why I say the service is good
Two of the visits were memorable as one of them was that, since we are staying up at Gimmelwald for that night, we came here in a rush and we informed the waitress (Too bad I didn't catch her name) that we got to catch the ride up the Gondola at Stenchelberg, she replied with a smile and told us she will help us on that. We were served with our food within 15 minutes and it does not seems at all that the food was prepared in the rush manner, lovely and still wonderful. Not a lot of restaurent entertain request like this.
The second visit is that we arrived really at 9pm in the valley, kitchen normally close at 9 in this area. We went to another restaurent initially at 9pm sharp which we were rejected as the waitress inform that the kitchen was closed. Being hungry as we spent the whole day struggling to get to Triftbahn (We kind of lose out in stamina as we are not really used to the hiking but we made it =D), we had no choice but to dine elsewhere than to sleep with an empty stomach. So we went back to Silberhorn to try our luck, reached there at 9.25pm. On the first look on our face by the same waitress, she immediately showed us our way to a table, although she inform that that kitchen is already closed, she said she will try her best to help us, we managed to get a decent meal thanks to her help. Absolutely wonderful services.

Reason why I say the food is nice.
The thing that stands out is their grilled veal, wonderful and tender, the mushroom sauce combination almost made it heavenly. Grilled fish is great too, taste real fresh and great even without sauce. Do try their beef soup you think if it is able to fit in your tummy, so great, won't regret it.
At Silberhorn I tasted one of the best salad in probably the whole Switzerland, go for the house sauce, it is what truly differs the salad from the rest.

I will recommend this to be the top choice if you hop in to Lauterbrunnen area!!

• Visited June 2013
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Definately the place to eat in Lauterbrunnen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were relieved to finally find a decent restaurant in Lauterbrunnen and ate here twice during our week's stay.

The setting (we ate on both occasions in the conservatory overlooking the valley and with views up to Wengen) is delightful and the service charming. English may be limited (and why should it be otherwise) but every effort was made to be helpful.

The food was excellent. They have a large range of Fitnessteller (basically a huge mixed salad to which you add your choice of protein) which was delicious. Pork schnitzel was well cooked and not at all greasy (ditto fries) and a dish of chicken in a mushroom and herb sauce was outstanding.

Puddings looked good but we never had room! Wine by the glass very reasonably priced.

This restaurant stands head and shoulders above anything else Lauterbrunnen has to offer.

• Visited July 2013
Washington, DC
“A mixed experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had dinner at the restaurant of the Hotel Silberhorn one evening in June; my experience was a mix of positives and negatives.

I was decidedly disappointed with my table. When I made my reservation for dinner for one about a month in advance, I asked for a window-side table. The response was that they could not guarantee that they could hold one of those four-top tables until my somewhat late arrival, but that they would keep my request in mind. I can understand that position. When I arrived, I was thrilled to see that a window-side table was available, but I was not given that table – instead, the person who seated me placed a “reserved” sign on that table as we walked by it on our way to a two-top that was not window-side, but had been set for me. OK, maybe they had another reservation or felt the need to keep at least one window-side four-top open. Then, even before I was given a menu, the party at the window-side four-top next to me departed; I was told I could not have it. A few minutes later, a solo man (I’m a solo woman) walked in, made it very clear that he did not have a reservation, and asked if he could have that table. He was given it - even though there were other empty two-tops that were not window-side. All of the other window-side tables emptied before I was given my entree. The “reserved” table was not occupied until I had already requested my bill, and then it was given to a couple. I found this refusal to honor the request I made when making my reservation well in advance very irritating, particularly because there were so many empty window-side tables.

Aside from that, I found the service pleasant and attentive and the setting was more upscale than I encountered elsewhere in Lauterbrunnen. The wines my server recommended complimented my dishes very nicely.

My meal was also a bit of a mixed bag: I enjoyed my mixed salad, which included a nice combination of tastes and textures. For my main corse, I had pork cordon bleu, served with potatoes and vegetables. The pork was just a bit overcooked -- the breading was charred and tough in a few small places -- but it was generally very tasty. The potatoes were very nicely prepared, but some of the vegetables -- the broccoli and cauliflower --were seriously overcooked.

• Visited June 2013