“Fondu for two”

Restaurant Schuetzen
Ranked #15 of 16 Restaurants in Lauterbrunnen
Cuisines: Diner, Pizza, Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Schützen is a hotel and restaurant situated at the heart of the Bernese Oberland. It is not just the food that makes it a popular venue. The landscape of the Lauterbrunnen Valley - the so-called ?Valley of Waterfalls? - will take your breath away. The restaurant is situated at the foot of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau and visitors can enjoy a wide range of sporting activities and the splendours of the natural environment. The menu serves local and international dishes. There is a particularly good selection of fondues, röstis and raclettes. The railway station at Lauterbrunnen is only a 5 minute walk away and the bus stop is just in front of the building.
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited this restaurant because of the sign outside which said fondu. The fondu was average. There were tons of screaming children inside - which made the dinner quite unenjoyable.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Upon arriving in Lauterbrunnen at lunchtime, we left our luggage at Hotel Schutzen and went up Jungfraujoch for the whole afternoon. By the time we got our room it was almost 8 pm. We therefore decided to dine at the hotel restaurant. The BBQ dinner was priced at about CHF15 for one plate and CHF30 for all you can eat. My wife and teenage boy went for the first offer and I the second.

The restaurant was not full, but there were enough customers to keep the waiter and the waitress (plus a young bus boy) very busy. As a result there was no service to speak of, the waitress simply put down our plates and cutleries, fetched me my beer, and then dashed off to take care of other customers.

There was a salad bar, with only a few choices such as coleslaw, corn, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, and some cold cuts. After we were done with our salad we sat for a while and concluded that the waiter and waitress were too busy to change our plate. I asked the busboy to do it but he said sheepishly that he spoke no English and kept pointing at the waiter. After a few more minutes we decided we wouldn't bother with a fresh plate despite all the salad dressing on it.

We went up to the BBQ stand and the cheerful cook filled up our plates with steak, pork chop, sausages, rosti and grilled tomato. Unfortunately there was no lamb, my favourite. The quality of the meat was just okay, but it was well marinated and tasted great, though a bit overcooked. As the plate itself was quite big (probably 12 inch in diameter?) one serving was quite enough for my wife and my teenage son. I had only half a serving for my second plate and was hard pressed to finish it.

When we asked for our bill at about 9:30 we still had to wait for quite a few minutes even though the restaurant was now half empty (but people were still coming in for their late supper). Overall, the dining experience was barely acceptable, and if not for the hard work of the staff I would have rated it even lower. I’d say the problem was with the owner, who true to his style did not put in much effort or resources into the restaurant. The Wurstbuli restaurant at Camping Jungfrau certainly gave us a much better experience.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel. As a result, there were a couple of times we ate here. They do not keep to their advertised hours of operation. There were two times we waited and waited for morning coffee and gave up because they did not open. We did have the breakfast buffet one day. Typical European breakfast with boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, breads, etc. Service is acceptable but not super friendly. It's OK if you catch them open.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The service was great and super friendly and easy going with our English and Swiss German speaking group of 8. Roesti was delicious, kalbsbratwurst was fantastic, and the kaese schnitte looked indulgent and good. The views here on the patio on a sunny day are priceless.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel and ate in the restaurant. The food was very nice, staff were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this restaurant and Hotel. Both were very clean, although the hotel room was very dated especially the bathroom. It was very expensive but we found most of Switzerland was expensive but had remarkable scenery.