“A LITTLE BIT TOO EXPENSIVE”
Review of Hotel Paka

Hotel Paka
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Velenje
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Small rooms but clean.
Good and rich breakfast.
Internet free.
Friendly staff, but English language is a problem for some of them
Parking free.
A strange smell all over the city of Velenje in the morning (somebody told me that could be from the power plant working with coil - some filters are cleaned in the morning).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for one night and I have to say, that it was really disappointing. First the room itself. It supposed to be a non-smoking room, but when I got there you could feel the cigarettes all over the place and the ashtray was on the table. The wifi was so slow, that I couldn't even send an email. Restaurant downstairs had some good food in the menu, but everything was a bit too salty for my and my colleagues taste. If I had to stay for more than one night I would probably look for some other place.

Room Tip: Double check the non-smoking rooms and the wifi connection.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pozkom06
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was there already two years back for business purposes. I stayed here only one night.
In my opinion 3 *** hotel, means normal, standart / do not expect any specialities.
From outside "a bit old fashion", typical concrete building. Inside a bit better. Also reastaurant is OK if you are not extremelly demanding.
Rooms are fine, air conditioned.
Price for B+B is OK in relation to service and environment.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Pedro75_10
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I went two times already at the Hotel Paka, and I think it is a very good option in Velenje. Just in front of the statue of Tito (the only one still surviving in Slovenia), the hotel is big and perfect for business meeting. I had a very big room (a sort of small suite, with two different rooms, beds and televisions!), the wi-fi worked well and everything absolutely comfortable. Anecdote: The first time I stayed here there was a fire in the hall (!) but everything was efficiently solved (in spite of the smoke smell in the rooms..), and we continued the meeting while the firemen estinguished the fire!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Roberto R
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I arrived at Hotel Paka at late night and was quite troubled at how the check in would be. But there was nothing to worry about. The reception staffs were extremely friendly, warm and welcoming. They could smile genuinely even at such late hours for which I am highly grateful. When I was escorted to my room, I found it clean with fresh sheets on the bed. I slept like a baby that night. In the morning, I explored the room and found it to be spacious, well aerated and with necessary amenities. I had my laptop with me and the internet connection was quite useful. The breakfast was delicious and adequate. My stay at this hotel was great, and so I highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank gree_field_75
Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is a hotel with a lot of good intentions undermined by cheap solutions. The hotel perhaps has not changed much from the years of Yugoslavia. However, the locals were adamant that this was the best hotel in small Velenje.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was cleaned very well every day. It had a sufficient space for luggage and clothes, a large window and very large flat TV set with, unfortunately, extremly limited selection of channels in English. The bed was uncomfortable. The bathroom had soft white towels, hot towel rail and soap. Breakfast was good and generous, but the restaurant should be avoided in the evening - the menu is too heavy and unhealthy. The next door inexpensive cafe provides an alternative for those who are more keen on salads and ice cream. The wi-fi did not reach all the rooms. For those whose laptops had corresponding slots, internet cables were offered from the reception; it made a big difference.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank nieszczarda
Reviewed November 22, 2007

A very sympatic hotel, the restaurant is not so much big but I invite you to test local food. They have some good slovenian win. The breakfast is very well.
The rooms are very clean, services very correct, meeting rooms for business ....
For a trip un Slovenia, a good way to test a new hotel !

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank avalon90