“Facilities and service very below average”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Grandhotel Praha

Grandhotel Praha
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Vysoke Tatry
London, UK
“Facilities and service very below average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is supposed to be one of the top hotels in the High Tatra region but we left feeling very disappointed.

We unfortunately fell for the special package: half board and the children stay for free in the same room at 140 euros per night. This had to be paid upfront when we booked - no such thing as keeping the cc details for the reservation.
We've usually been lucky with half-board but in this case the food was very bad (just like described in the previous review). It had no taste, was mass produced and certainly not the food of a top quality hotel- more like a hostel. Breakfast was ok but nothing special, we experienced a lot better in other hotels in Slovakia and Poland.

The hotel is located high above the village, a stiff walk if you don't have a car although there is a shuttle bus which costs 2 Euros per trip.

Then the decoration. The central lobby has some of the old grandeur of a 100 years old hotel but as soon as you got into one of the extremely long corridors one had to think of the movie called The Shining. The furniture looked tired and certainly lacked class and the lighting was gloomy.
The room was decorated in a style that could be called mid-nineties it certainly lacked a modern touch. The bathroom was very small with a hand shower(!), not even a proper wall mounted shower.

The spa was alright - it least it looked new but only if it wasn't too crowded.

My other main complaint was the service at the reception desk. We met a number of people travelling around the Tatras who used the Tatra card which gives you free travel and discounted entry in the area. When we checked the leaflet it mentioned that the Praha was also part of the scheme. However we received nothing when we checked in. When I questioned this at reception they first said it wasn't part of our package. I pointed out that the leaflet doesn't mention any package but they then claimed this was only written in Slovakian. I checked this later with a Slovakian and he said it didn't mention anything of the sort.
Other cheaper hotel offer this card why is the Praha being difficult about this.

All in all very disappointing, luckily we only stayed for 2 nights.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank eh_64
Daniela K, Manager at Grandhotel Praha, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear „eh_64“,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I sincerely regret to hear of your disappointment and I apologise that your experience on this occasion has not met your expectations.

The hotel underwent the first stage of reconstruction last year, in which the entire Grand Mountain Spa and 33 rooms and suites were completely refurbished and today offer all comforts to our guests. Regretfully not all rooms were part of this stage of reconstruction. We hope to be able to modernise all our rooms in the coming years to offer all modern conveniences to all our guests.

We appreciate your comments about the Tatry Card, which I will further communicate to the Tatra Region Office, who manages the card, in order to prevent similar guest annoyance for the future. I wish to confirm that the information provided by our reception was in line with the rules of the Card issuer. The Card is not automatically given to all guests, it is a part of certain packages only. As our reception righty noted, this information is listed in the Slovak print, however the English translation left this important information out. Please see the link to the brochure: http://www.vt.sk/userfiles-2/dokumenty/tatry-card/brozura-tatrycard-leto2012.pdf

We will review all of your comments with our management team and address the issues where you were not satisfied with the view to improve our services for our future guests.

Once again thank you for your time and for sharing your feedback with us.

Yours Sincerely,
Daniela Krempaska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Here's the good:
- Great location in the mountains
- beautiful views across the Tatras
- Nice breakfast
- Fantastic bread

Here is the bad and why I rated it only with 2 stars:
- Check out is 10 am (not good if you arrived late and want a lie in or catch the spa)
- Spa area closes at 9 pm, opens only 7-9 am (outside pool from 11 am by which time you have to check out.
- Service at dinner was appalling (dinner was included with the half board booking I made and dinner closes at 9 pm also) In the end, I resulted to speak to a waiter in German who then made the effort to explain what we could/couldn't have and finally brought us some cutlery. We got our own drinks at the bar after 40 mins of waiting! The food was mass market, completely tasteless. My grilled fish turned out to be a thin deep-pan fried slice of fish (similar to a flat fish finger) which tasted of nothing.
- The decor is nice but very worn. In the dining hall I nearly tripped over a loose tile which was hidden the next morning by putting a trolley for eggs on top of it (good plan).#
- The room was not too much better. Particularly the stinking toilet put me off. Only 2 English speaking channels I think. The balcony was ok, views were nice.

I would not stay here again because you feel like being herded to dinner and kicked out at the earliest opportunity. The bad smell in particular put me off and the many young kids that were unsupervised, so I'm afraid this was not for me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Groovybaby18
Daniela K, Manager at Grandhotel Praha, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear „Groovybaby 18“

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us and other travelers.

I truly regret that your experience on this occasion has not met your expectations for which I wish to apologise sincerely.

Your feedback is very important to us as it allows us to improve our services and our guests’ experience for the future. We will immediately address the drawbacks that you mentioned in your feedback in order to prevent similar disappointment of our guests.

I have to admit that at the time of your visit the hotel was absolutely sold out which may have impacted our usual standards of service. We have since reevaluated our staffing levels in order to provide our guests with a higher level of service even during such busy periods.

Once again I apologise for not meeting your expectations on this occasion and I thank you for your helpful feedback.

Sincerely yours,

Hotel Director
Ostrava, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We spent only two nights there, but we enjoyed it very much. Hotel is located in a quiet part of mountain town of Tatranska Lomnica, but still in walking distance to the centre. In some ten minutes of walk you can get to the railway station and, using a train, to any part of High Tatras. Though the hotel has luxurious appearance you will definitely not encounter crowds of picky snobs there. On the other hand, we noticed a few people who came for dinner dressed in shorts (but that is not a problem of the hotel but those people themselves). By the way, food was delicious and the personel very kind. After dinner we enjoyed a cup of coffee in the lobby where a young man played the piano. And we especially enjoyed the spa zone, which is very nice and the view of the mountains from the outside pool unforgettable. There are both inside and outside children playgrounds. The only drawback were signs of ageing on the furniture in our room. Anyway, to conclude, we must say that we are planning going there again soon and we would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony as the view of the mountains from it will enhance your experience.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Alena S, Manager at Grandhotel Praha, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your nice comments regarding your stay and food experience at Grandhotel Praha, rest assured I shall pass on your notes to the kitchen team which aim to please. We are also very pleased you enjoyed the pianist and our new Grand Mountain Spa which we are very proud of. We look forward to welcoming you back in Grandhotel Praha, for your next stay please contact me directly. Best Regards, Daniela Krempaska, hotel director.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Great holiday :) me and my friend enjoyed hotel, wellness and massagess.
Brilliant staff, especially miss director of hotel. Very charming person. Room was nice and clean. Everything is close. Tasty food a beautifull restaurant with terase.

I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012
Alena S, Manager at Grandhotel Praha, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
What a lovely review! Wow and thank you! :-)
It was a pleasure for me personaly to have you as our guest.
We are very happy that you and your friend enjoyed Grandhotel Praha and would love to have you to stay in our home again! Please do contact me at that time and I will personally look after your reservation.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have enjoyed every minute staying at this hotel. It is beautifully decorated, all the staff couldn't do enough to help and it is in a perfect location, close to Tatranska Lomnica(cableways).Clean room with flatscreen TV & amazing b-fast, dinner and excelent wellness.

Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Alena S, Manager at Grandhotel Praha, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. We hope to be able to welcome you and your friends from Ireland back to Grandhotel Praha for some more pampering. Please contact me if you would like to stay with us again and I will ensure that we take good care of your booking.
Sońsk, Polska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I had very, very nice stay at the hotel. I am a moderate traveller and i know what I should get from such property. It is just as it should be. The beds are comfortable, even if you sleep with your kid in it. Rooms are clean and spacious enough. What suprised me a lot was spa facilities. Children had great fun and were delighted to play in the outdoor swimmingpool. We got very relaxing massages. Staff in spa was kind and proffesional. And just small comment about services in breakfast, although friendly and helpful, they could be more pro-active.
After all our stay was very enjoyable and I would recommend this hotel to my friends. Especially during winter time for skiing and other activities.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in new part of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alena S, Manager at Grandhotel Praha, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are very happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the compliments, I will pass them on to the staff. In regards of the breakfast services, I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our restaurant manager and I am sure you will recognize an upgrade when we welcome you at the Grandhotel Praha next time. We surely look forward to welcome you back, soon. Kind Regards,
Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was a huge disappointment from the customer service perspective, not only the waiters didn't even bother to greet you nor did the chief of waiters... at the dinner when we ordered the bottle of wine waiter put our bottle on the service table (aprox. 5m away from our table) and hadn't refilled our glasses until we asked him to do so. In the package we both was included voucher for dessert and a coffee, however you don't get to select what dessert you'd like and if you do not like the one they pick they just don't give you any . Not mentioning it's half of the regular portion.Upon arrival a bottle of wine and fruit should be awaiting in the room. First it wasn't there. When asked at the reception, w were old they'll bring it later, and they did, but I almost felt offended by what they brought. Mini bottle of cheap sparkling wine, one orange, one pear and grapes, aprox 8 bulbs. I consider it very cheap to include staff like this in tha package, rather don't include it at all.No electricity plug in the bathroom, no spare plug in the room, so when needed to charge the phone/camera, had to take out light/minibar. Towels and bathrobes were very old, clean but old, worn out, not even white anymore but almost grey. only XL, no children bathrobes... It's a really shame but what spoiled the trip most was the pure customer service and no effort to improve it. Nor would I call this place children friendly.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the newly built part of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Honinka
Alena S, Manager at Grandhotel Praha, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I sincerely regret that your recent stay at Grandhotel Praha has not met your expectations. Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards at the time of your stay.
I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our team and I too am most disappointed to hear of the poor customer service, as particularly this is the area we frequently train our staff in and often get complimented on by our guests. I also am grateful for all your comments,
which we will address with our team in order to improve our guests experience and our services for the future.

Yours sincerely,

#2 of 6 in Tatranska Lomnica
Hotel Lomnica
Hotel Lomnica
#1 of 6 in Tatranska Lomnica

Been to Grandhotel Praha? Share your experiences!