“Very Friendly Welcoming Irish Pub.”
Review of The Black Anchor

Ranked #3 of 13 Nightlife in Tavira
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed in Tavira in June 2012 during the Euro Finals and used this pub to watch the match on the televisions at the Black Anchor.
The Black Anchor is situated just a short walk from the main shopping area and a stone throw from the river which runs through the town.
Very friendly pub run by a family who went out of thier way to make people feel welcome.
Food was excellent with plenty of tables inside and outside the pub. A limited range of beers, but it seems most people/locals drink 'Super Bock' which is the local brewed lager.
Highly recommended by me as I visited the pub on the second day of my visit and returned each evening of the rest of my stay for my evening meal and some chilling out beers.

2  Thank Money_Shot_ATFC
There are newer reviews for The Black Anchor

Reviewed February 12, 2013

A lively venue for a quite location. Good atmosphere. Could do with better prices but I guess its aimed at the tourists.

2  Thank LancsBusytraveller
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had some good nights in this pub, never noticed it on our first visit to Tavira some years ago but poped in on our holiday this year. Went in on a Friday night and they had a Karaoke on, well I like a nice sing song so was well away, did a few songs had a few beers and left very happy. One night we went there just to have a drink by the river got a seat right by the river and it was very nice with the sun setting just at the back of us, we had a look at there menu and thought it would be nice to have a meal hear. We shared a Chicken and Sea Food Cataplana that was very tastey and good value, we went to this bar again it also puts on a singer a few times a week and has the football as well, so a nice place to sit outside and have a meal or just a drink and also a good place if you want to see a singer or someone like me make a fool of themselves doing a song on the Karaoke.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a deceptively large premise with a pretty seated area right on the edge of the slow moving adjacent river. The sports bar inside is small but they do get all the major sporting events to keep the husbands happy! The inside restuarant is very big and ornate and gives an insight to an earlier time. The bar meals are ok but not of the quality of some of the nearby Portuguese restuarants, charging more reasonable prices. Similarly there is a good selection of beers and wines but the prices are more in keeping with Dublin pubs than their Eastern Algarve equivelents. Staff are polite and competent, but it streches a point to call them particularly, friendly. Overall well worth a visit, but the prices probably stop the pub becoming 'the local' for more resident ex pats.

2  Thank Nora P
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had almost forgotten about this place. Not because I had a bad experience or anything like that in fact it was quite the opposite. Good staff nice drink and a lively and friendly atmosphere. Although we did not eat here I had heard from several ppl that it was good. Also for those of you who like a little bit of soccer then this is the place to go. Wide screen tv out in the open by the river and cold drink. What more could a body ask for.