“Great caves”

The Riezupe Sand Caves
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Kuldiga
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very interesting caves, but bring a flashlight if you can. We didn't and so went by candlelight. We went by bicycle and followed the bicycle route, four if I remember correctly that led to the caves. However, the route detours from road and goes through the forest and the continuation of the route goes on trails, so it is best to go on a mountain bike. To get the caves, one part of the route says a little while after entering the forest, the trail forks and to take the right path. Shortly after entering it split rather quickly, but we continued down the left path since it seemed too early, but then there was a sign saying in Latvian "privatipasums" which means private, so we turned around and took the right fork. However, going a little further, we realized that trail was really badly maintained and probably not the right way, so we went back down the left fork which although there was a sign saying private was the right way to go. But it is also possible to go along the road to the sand caves, and the road is not a busy one, and there was not anything really interesting to see in the forest, so there is really no reason to follow the bike signs to the caves, following the car signs is fine.

2  Thank sigulda158

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visited the Riezupe Sand caves on a day tour to Kuldiga. The place is a family run estate and apparently the whole family used to dig out the place that eventually became the Riezupe Sand Caves. There is a bit of a walk as you go where there is a children playing area and some nice decorations which I find to be a very nice touch.

You are taken into the cave by a tour guide (mine luckily spoke a bit of English) you get given a candle and follow the tour guide in this underground maze. I suggest you dont' wear nice clothes as you will definitely end up getting sand all over them (which is clean anyway). The temperature inside the cave is nice and cool, and I heard it stays around the same even during winter! You will see many flowers that are left in the cave and survive very well, a really nice touch.

Overall we really loved the place and I highly recommend anyone visiting the region to check it!

2  Thank Ali M
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Private-owned sand cave labyrinth of 2 km in overall length with constant +8 C temperature all year round. We were glad to have taken a flashlight, but were sorry to have no jackets or extra coins to have a guide. Entrance fee is 2 lats per person without guide or 3 lats with a guide. It was a thrilling experience to navigate in the narrow sand tunnels, which I would not recommend to people with tendency to claustrophobia.

2  Thank Nijole346
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have been here twice in my life and absolutely loved it both times, first I went there with my class years ago, and now recently.
It is beautiful, I would even say mystical place to be. I loved the tradition that newlyweds go there and leave the bridal bouquet in there for good luck, and there are little spaces cut in sand to put candles it looks really nice.
The tunnel labyrinth is over 2km long; these caves are human made, in old times to make glass.
And you can consider yourself lucky if you manage to find perfectly round stone with a hole through it. I did manage to do it and it looks pretty.
There is constant temperature of 8C if I remember correctly, so in winter its is warm, but in summer cools you down.
Great family day out guaranteed.

6  Thank b0nnitta
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Riežupes sand caves are artificial cave labyrinth cut in the white sandstone, currently the longest cave system in Latvia. Located at Riežupes Nature Park, about 5 km from Kuldiga.

The tour was very pleasant and interesting, great place to see!
Loved the candle idea.