“Try to cook the meat”

Riga, Latvia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Try to cook the meat”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

| very good authentic Korean restaurant. Since the reconstruction of this year at the tables can cook the meat. and I love kimchi and kimbab

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Forix

• Korean first
Tashkent, Uzbekistan
“Scromboid food poisoning”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We got sick after eating seafood here and the doctor diagnosed us with scromboid food poisoning. Scromboid poisoning is especially bad because cooking does not destroy the histamine and is caused by not keeping fish refrigerated.

We are ethnic Koreans (koryo saram) living in Uzbekistan so we know what good Korean food is and this food besides being poisonous was a very poor example of Korean food. Stay far away!

• Visited January 2013
9 Thank Irina K
Incheon, South Korea
“Dangerous to eat here”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We both had bulgogi and there was something wrong with it. I was in the middle of eating when I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. My husband also later got sick while walking back to the hotel.

We are from Korea and have never experienced such a bad Korean restaurant before. The food is not properly stored or something and makes people sick. Over the course of a few days we were throwing up. It's dangerous to eat here. The worst Korean restaurant ever.

• Visited December 2012
15 Thank Sun K
Riga, Latvia
“Broke out in hives after eating here”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I broke out in hives after eating here, presumably because the kimchi was made with bad shrimp. Prior to that I had eaten here regularly for the past few years and in that time I noticed the restaurant has gone downhill.

If you order the Korean pancake, only sometimes do you get the full pancake. Other times they will just give you part of the pancake which is not the standard thing to do in a Korean restaurant. Presumably the reason they do that is because they are not making the pancake fresh each time and if they were to give you the full pancake you could very easily see that the pieces came from different pancakes. From the way it tasted, I could tell they just reheated it even though it only takes a few minutes to make the pancake. They also don't use the full packet of ramyeon when making the ramyeon which is another nonstandard thing to do.

They appear to have stopped making the bibimbap when you order it and instead prepare all the ingredients way in advance (days in advance). The beef in my bibimbap was cold which meant it came out of the refrigerator. The quality of beef used in making the bulgogi appears to have gone down as well because sometimes the beef is very old and tough.

I don't recommend anyone go here. Instead I recommend Kabuki which although primarily a Japanese restaurant also has Korean food and the Korean food is cheaper than here. Kabuki doesn't have as many Korean dishes but the quality of food is much better.

I spoke to the owner on several occasions about all these things but he didn't appear to care as he walked away from me when I was in the middle of mentioning things.

• Visited October 2012
18 Thank sigulda158
Trinidad and Tobago
“Surprise Korean in Riga, value for money, dishes well done, worth a stop”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

yes, comes as a surprise and you might want to know how a Korean chap ever made it into Riga... Who knows, it does not matter, key is, its worth a visit.
We had lunch last week and were pleasantly surprised with our bibimbab, that was done as the ones i just had in April travelling a week in Korea (North!) and those folks there are absolute purists.

So check it out for lunch, was quite a treat!

Frankoliver