“Over rated”

Bergs
Ranked #135 of 971 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: While retaining the character and soul of this long standing institution of the Riga culinary scene, the new Executive Chef, Jānis Zvirbulis, proudly presents a reimagined Restaurant Bergs.... Bold culinary creations inspired by Europe's classic dining traditions will delight guests in a tastefully redone setting. This season, the menu is accented with seasonal mushrooms and Jānis especially recommends the wild Latvian venison Wellington. Also enjoy wild seasonal fish and sea food- scallops, snow crab, lobsters, sea urchins- farm grown meat, locally harvested vegetables and Etienne Boissy cheese... Dinner accompanied by live piano music on Fridays and Saturdays will set you in a harmonious state of mind.
London, United Kingdom
“Over rated”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The staff at Bergs (or one person in particular) made a bad impression. He practically refused to give us tap water (he said it was undrinkable but we had drunk it the previous day in a neighbouring restaurant and survived) - we had to ask three times for it! We ordered a nice bottle of red wine but we were not over impressed with the menu. The wine bar in the courtyard is much friendlier with a nicer atmosphere.

Visited May 2014

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

It is more chique as I prefer a more relaxed environment.But worth going!! Live piano on the background. Food and service superb!!

Visited May 2014
Riga, Latvia
“Great food”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had a very nice lunch here; my food was great and my sea buckthorn dessert was probably the best dessert, I've had in Riga. The head waiter was very professional and and while I would not say he was overly friendly, I thought he was still kind. I especially appreciate that they have a vegetarian dish both at lunch and dinner.

• Visited October 2013
Oslo, Norway
“Awesome food, good price, medium service”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We visited the restaurant 28/12 and there was only a few tables in addition to our. The food was a big surprise, clearly there is an inventive and highly skilled cook in the kitchen, although there is still some to learn in relation to gelatine.

The starters consisted of scallops and a fried st. Marcellin cheese, excellently prepared and was followed by monkfish and deer, equally cooked perfect. The panacotta and hazelnut mousse cake that followed still needed some work, the panacotta had way to much gelatine in it and tasted like the based it too much on milk and reduced cream content. The hazelnut mousse cake was lovely, but the jelly on top also had to much gelatine in it and was not very nice.

We had a glass of champagne, 2 glasses of wine and soft drinks in addition to 2 three course meals and the total was 103 lats, which given the overall quality of the food is a good price in my opinion.

“Quite nice”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

It was a very quiet evening there and the servers I found to be pleasant and attentive. The food was quite good. A little more expensive than I think it should have been but c'est la vie. Was pleased that they also had Californian wines on the menu!

• Visited December 2013