“BBQ, not authentic but okay.”
Review of Carlstons

Carlstons
Ranked #246 of 982 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Latvian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Over the past 14 years, we have developed experience in terms of various events and our everyday work, and this is a sign of quality for our original dishes and our trustworthy services. Carlstons is in the city centre of Riga, bringing together the rhythms of an urban environment and the smell of a country campfire's smoke on an everyday basis. We fire up our stoves every day, and we smoke meat with alder wood for a period of between four and 14 hours so as to ensure unique nuances of taste. We offer our juicy barbecue meats with homemade BBQ sauce and various sides. You know what we've learned? BBQ is a simple form of cooking that is full of tradition and lets the human soul sing. This is art, love and passion. The restaurant's interior is excellent for successful business lunches, romantic dinners, merry children's parties, and important celebrations. The Carlstons menu is one which allows you to choose your favourite food so that you can enjoy gastronomic passions. We very much recommend that you finish your meal with our excellent cheesecake - the tastiest cheesecake in all of Riga!
Tampere, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BBQ, not authentic but okay.”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I really wanted to sample this place, since I'm a big BBQ nut (I have my own smoker). Had to visit twice, since they were closed on the Easter Monday.

Finally on Tuesday got there around 1 PM. I was the only one in the place. The place looked too fancy for a BBQ joint :) I like BBQ joints pretty simple.

Ordered a half rack of St Louis Style ribs and a full rack of "Memphis thin ribs" (baby backs), selected grilled vegetables and oven-baked potato for my sides.

They brought some free bread & herb butter and three different BBQ-sauces before the food arrived. When the food arrived, there was certainly enough of it. The oven-baked potato was huge.

I sampled the sides first, the oven baked potato was pretty good. The grilled vegetables very quite bland. I also got some pretty tasty slaw with both plates, which wasn't your traditional cole slaw, but probably their twist of it. It was more vinegary than creamy.

First sampled the Memphis style ribs, they were not bad. No pink smoke ring, though. So either they don't smoke them for six hours, or something else is going on. There was very heavy sauce applied on the rib, which didn't let the meat flavor come through too much. Actually it tasted like the sauce had the most of the smoky taste (which was there, even there was no pink ring).

I could eat their baby backs again, not bad, but certainly not authentic bbq. Also the bark was not crunchy at all, which would again suggest they don't smoke them for very long. Tenderness was good, not fall of the bone, but not tough either.

Then again, the St Louis Style cut was pretty bad. It was tough, I couldn't even finish all of it. There was no sauce on the St Louis Cut, which was nice. I suspect they hadn't been smoked long enough.

I was skeptical of them using Alder for meat since it's a mild smokewood usually used for smoking fish (for which it rocks), but there was certainly enough smoky flavor present.

I would visit again, but would probably order something from the grill.

• Visited April 2013

“Well done food but pretty boring interior”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Went on a Saturday evening. Mainly "Tripadv" guests (meaning foreigners or tourists like we). Not crowded. Filet mignon perfectly grilled but served in a little old fashioned way. Ribs where great in the way BBQ should be. A little little pricey in total. But ok.

Riga, Lettland
“Very good restaurant.”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were there with family and friends. Food was excellent and so service. They have changed menu and now is more like grill restaurant. Have many different smoked and grilled dishes. Speciality alder smoked dishes. If You are in Riga must check it.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Jānis L
Norway
“Excellent food, good price.”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

My sister and I visited this restaurant on March Friday 16th, and even though we came in the "back door" the restaurant looked nice and there was several local groups there. We ordered the Scallopini and it was really nice and tasty. The bill for the two of us was about 26 LVL, for two dinners, 1/2L wine and one dessert. We wanted to eat here again while in Riga, but it is unfortunately closed on Sundays:(. We regretted not going back on Saturday.

• Visited March 2012
Drogheda, Ireland
“Great Place”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We ate here the first night we arrived in Riga and it was a great intro. The staff were very nice and welcoming and the atmosphere was lovely. The food selection range was great and varied and the quality was very good.

Visited January 2012