My bf and i stayed here in early Feb 2009.
Changed room once.
The first room we got:
- On the street level.
- Double bed (not 2 single beds pushed together) but there was almost no space between the bed and the wall on one side and between the bed and the window on the other side. If you see the photo i posted, you will see what I mean. At times it's difficult to get out of or on the bed - almost easier to literally climbed out of or on the bed.
- Unusually shaped. Hotel rooms are usually square shaped with almost the same length in every sides. This room, however, was a bit different. When i stepped in, i stepped into a small area where there were two chairs in front of a wardrobe (and I do mean literally in front of it) with 2 tables, tv, fridge. To the right was the bathroom. To the left were a few steps which led to the bed (see my photo). Not that I mind the shape of the room.
- The bathroom had a bathtub (which was nice) but no curtain/glass. It was impossible to shower without making the floor all wet.
For our reasons, we asked for a different room for the next nights.
The second room we had:
- 2 single beds put next to each other.
- Small. Had less space than the first room.
- The bed-sheets were not long enough (see photo's). There was a stain on the corner of my mattrass and with the sheet being too short it was kind of difficult to cover it. When I saw it, it was difficult not to guess what the stain was caused by.
- Could not open one of the wardrobe's doors because one of the bed was in front of it (see photo).
- Could not open fridge without moving the chairs away.
The staff were mostly friendly. The receptionist and one man who were working there did not seem to mind when we asked for another room. But there were a couple of staff who had a long face.
Breakfast was just usual - nothing to write home to, although I doubt keep ham and cheese on a tray only for the duration of the breakfast period was a good practice. Should they not be kept cool/cold?
Location: very good. Near a shopping mall, near the bus/tram stops, and in the old town.
So I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I really liked the location but I found some things I didn't like about the rooms.
I have to choose whether I would recommend this hotel to a friend or not. Here is what i can say:
If you can get a more-or-less the same price at a better rated hotel, then i'd say you'd better go to the better rated hotel. But if you don't care so much about some issues (like small room, bed sheets not long enough, etc.) and you just need a place to sleep... then maybe this is the place for you.
Personally, when i go back to my hotel after a day out, i'd like to have a comfy room to rest and 'just' a place to sleep.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An elegant and cozy boutique hotel in the unique historic part of Riga - Old Town. You will find museums, monuments of architecture, popular places of leisure and relaxation, the largest shopping centers, banks, state institutions and embassies located in immediate proximity to the hotel. Within a few minutes walk there are Bus and Railway Stations as well as the Sea Port. Hospitality, exclusive service, highly professional and friendly personnel will make your relaxation unforgettable! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Monte Kristo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monte Kristo Hotel
- Monte Kristo Riga