“Very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

As I've only positive comments, I'm a little surprised at some of the other reports on this hotel - perhaps I was just lucky. Overall, we were very pleased: the reception staff were very helpful (when our telly didn't work, we were moved to a bigger and better room), the hotel was clean, quiet and handily situated (a short walk across a bridge to the old part of town), and the breakfast was sumptuous - by far the best of the ten hotels in this particular trip. Maybe you have to be as fortunate as we were, but I'd recommend the hotel unreservedly.

Room Tip: It always helps if you're nice to the people at reception.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chandos7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our stay at the Islande Hotel was marred by the people in the room next door who went out for the day and left their dog locked in the bathroom. It was howling and yelping for several hours, and when we reported this to the reception they said that animals were allowed in the hotel and that this was normal. "Probably the dog is bored" the front desk staff told me. When I suggested that maybe we should go in and check whether the animal was in pain, they said that what would happen if the dog bit a staff member? I asked whether they should call the animal protection society, and they sniggered. In short the hotel staff did nothing, and virtually laughed in my face. They said that they could not talk to the owners of the dog and that if we had a problem we should move all our stuff out of our two rooms but they could not guarantee connecting rooms.

The rooms were ok (clean and functional), there is a well equipped and spacious gym, and the facilities are good, with a spa and an outdoor rooftop restaurant, but the attitude of the staff and the management sucks. There are wheelchair friendly rooms as well and extra beds for kids are available. The wifi is patchy, as other reviewers have pointed out. If we hadn't had the dog problem I would have rated the property more highly, but when things go wrong that is the best test of a hotel, and in this case the Islande failed.

Room Tip: Make sure there are no animals staying in the room next door to you
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank George H
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This "4-star" hotel is more or less a joke: free internet = didn't work, 24 h guarded parking lot = small fence of height appr. 40 cm, reception girls eating chewing gum and blowing bubbles while talking to clients, terrace on roof was not even once open during our 5 day visit. Every morning something was missing on a breakfast: coffee, knifes etc. Location is on a "wrong side of the river", so you need to use taxi to get on the other side of city and back to hotel.
I sincerely recommend to avoid this hotel. There are really beautiful and nice hotels in Riga (e.g. Neiburgs), which unfortunately were fully booked during our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Happyhappygogo
Chonqging China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at the Islande and loved this place. The staff at the front desk were just outstanding, guys and gals both. The gals certainly are great eye candy; beautiful girls and always helpful. I arrived by bicycle and they stored my bicycle with no problems inside their luggage storage. My room was excellent; I'd booked it online with booking.com and no problem at check-in. The room was a very nice size (standard single room) with queen bed, mini-bar (that did not keep anything cold, only for storage), WiFi very good in room and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was nicely appointed with extra towels, hand and bath towels. The room also had an inroom safe and AC that kept the temperature of the room a nice temperature with no AC noise.

The hotel is located just across the river, an easy 10 minute walk to Riga Old Town. There was also the Olympia Mall just adjacent to the hotel that had a nice supermarket and shops. I highly recommend this place. Great value for the price.

Oh, and the breaksfast buffet was outstanding. Additionally, the bartenders at the bar were helpful in recommending different beers for me to try as well as wines. Thanks guys!!

Room Tip: Highly recommend!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ultrarunner
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We love restaurant on top floor, it is little bit expensive but food was amazing and staff very friendly. Room was ok but I was disappointed about shower because we have little girl so it wasn't easy to wash her. When I booked the hotel, I mention that I need bed for my daughter but we didn't get so she slept in my bed. Breakfast was nice, food was good but again, when we needed highchair there wasn't any so I can't say this hotel is family (baby) friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Moss, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Had a nice stay at this hotel 7-9 June. The only thing I would like to mention as a negative was the airconditioning in the room. We stayed on the 2 floor, had dogs with us and had room 212. We never got the temperature under 25 °C even though we set the airconditioning temp. to below 18 and it was blowing from the it constantly.
On to the positive. I got to check in before 10 in the morning and we had late check-out at 19.00 (paid 5 LVL pr. hour after noon).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Adare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is a basic 4 star hotel with modest rooms. The shower was good and the bed comfortable. There was no noise as the hotel is situated away from the street. Next door is a shopping mall so it's easy to find food away from the hotel. Breakfast has a fairly good choice, but it's not great food. Location is over a long bridge from the centre and can take 15 minutes walking.

What sets this place apart is the very friendly and efficient service. I wish all hotels made the effort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business