“Great location, standard room” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kolonna Hotel Riga

Kolonna Hotel Riga
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great location, standard room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Location was very, very good. In the Old Town, minutes away from great cafes and pubs. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, continental breakfast. However, juices could be better. Room was clean, everything was great, but a bit disappointed in TV - was expecting something more modern.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Linda_Shtale, Manager at Kolonna Hotel Riga, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Haliog,

thank you very much for taking time to write your positive impression about our hotel!

I am delight to hear that our services met your expectations, you enjoyed breakfast as well as location of hotel. Thank you for your useful comments about TV, we will take them into consideration when planning budget for next year.

My team and I would be pleased to welcome you in the near future again!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Finnish first
Roccella, Calabria, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Top hotel in center of riga, it's not expensive in good position. The room is clean and medium. The staff are cordial and gentile. Continental breakfast is not bad, few sweet, much savoury....advised for all kind of travel

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Giovanni G
Irkutsk, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very clean and friendly hotel with great location in the old-town's center. Room was with 3 windows to the old-town's yard and view to Dom Cathedral's roof. Minimum facilities but very comfortable. When I came the TV greeted me) Ordinary continental breakfast. Perfect for weekend in Riga.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor with 3 windows to the old-town's yard and view to Dom Cathedral...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Марина В
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I arrived in the hotel a little late and tired after driving from Tallin. The hotel is located in the very center of Riga and this is very cool and convenient.

When I arrived at the hotel, I tried to check in and it seemed to be a confusion/mistake from the place that I booked and the hotel. I had booked 2 double rooms and they had registered 2 single rooms. From moment one, I was clearly told that this was my mistake and that if I wanted to stay there I had to pay an extra 15 EUR per room per night, although I had a printed confirmation stating a double room, they couldn't care less....from then on, everything was far too difficult for them. I even asked for a map and they told me that they had already given me one (even if we were 4 in the group).

The receptionist kept on making funny remarks throughout the check in process implying that he was smart enough to get us caught trying to cheat....at some point it was just so childish that we simply gave up and decided to pay and leave the whole thing behind,

The rooms were rather big and new and clean, however if your intention is to sleep at night, just stay away from this place. We were on the 4th floor, and the amount of noise from the street was simply unbelievable. Riga is a party city during the weekend and at some point, I was convinced that my room was a night club.

Breakfast was rather limited and the option was rather short, so we didn't each much of it, other than some cereals and some orange juice.
I only stayed one night, and I was happy to leave as soon as possible, I will never stay on this place again. Horrible.

Room Tip: Just book somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
East Islip, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We just spent 3 great nights at this Hotel in Riga. The room actually had 2 bedrooms which we really did not need or use. The room was very clean and well maintained, the shower was good, and the towels fine. You could walk just about any place in Old Town in less than 10 minutes. Great bakery 20 yards from front door was really a treat. The staff was also very helpful, I asked about transfers to the airport and made the arrangements. The gentlemen at the counter asked if I had checked in for my flight, when I told him we had not, he did it for us and then printed out our boarding passes. GREAT PLACE Great Value

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Linda_Shtale, Manager at Kolonna Hotel Riga, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Paulette,

thank you for taking the time to write such great feedback following your recent stay with us!

My team and I are trilled to hear that you enjoyed the time you spent at our lovely hotel. I am pleased to read that you were happy with the facilities and comfort of the rooms and that you felt the staff were helpful.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future!

Volgograd, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

1) It's the best location u can imagine: just in the heart of Old Town - it's very convinient as u can walk during the day, then go to the hotel to rest and with no lazyness come out in the evening and enjoy the night views of Riga. Quite big shopping centre with a supermarket in 5-minutes walk from the hotel.
2) The hotel is interesting inside: it's an old building that looks like it was a residential house manymany years ago...
3) Just in front of the hotel there is a caffe "Lido" designed in national style which provides fresh tasty dishes for normal prices.

4) We had only one strange situation: on the second day of our staying when we returned to the hotel in the evening we found out that the room hadn't been cleaned that day...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was a cheap hotel, but with unexpected good standard. The rooms were quiet and clean. Lots of windows for airing out the room which got really hot and humid after a shower. The size of the rooms varied a lot. We were a group of seven people and the rooms varied from a tiny cot to a huge room with an extra couch and we all paid the same.
I would have liked to be able to choose between one queensize bed and to separate ones as we were a group of friends travelling.

The staff was friendly and very helpful. They spoke good english.

Bonus: a bakery across the street and a very nice spa next door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vib H
Dear Vib H.,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us and are delighted that it exceeded your expectations.

We do pride ourselves on the high level of service we provide to our guests and I am pleased that we made your stay comfortable and pleasant. I am pleased to read that you and your friends who were travelling with you enjoyed the upgraded rooms. I am glad that upon arrival we had a chance to offer you higher category rooms than were originally booked.

Thank you for recommending us to other reviewers and we look forward to having you back with us in the near future!