“Nice weekend in Riga”

Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Kaarina, Finland
“Nice weekend in Riga”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived by accident during the biggest music festival in Riga which was a nice bonus for a city vacation weekend. Upon arrival we got already early in the morning (nice!) a non smoking room on the 3rd floor, which was however clearly used long time by smoking guests before.
The reception boys were very helpful and polite while trying to find another room for us. After arriving back to the hotel in the afternoon we got a replacement room on the 6th floor which was perfect! Fresh, clean and quiet standard room which made our stay very comfortable. We got very helpful tips at the reception for visiting the city including printed train timetables.

Breakfast was good and gave a solid start for the long days walking in the beautiful city. Thank you PK Riga. We will be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Elīna G, Front Office Manager at PK Riga Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Petu V,
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience about PK Riga Hotel & Spa with other travelers on Tripadvisor. I am happy that more and more guests evaluate our efforts.
I’m very glad to hear that you were satisfied with your stay, being happy with early check-in, good breakfast, and helpful, polite staff.
I am happy that room assigned on 6th floor met your expectations and you value it as a perfect – fresh, clean and quiet.
We are looking forward to welcome you in our hotel again in near future.
Elina Gulbe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have stayed at the PK Riga for a week on business. I will be advising my company that this hotel is unacceptable and they should reconsider doing future business with them.

Firstly i was given a 'business room' which is situated at the top of the stairs-getting sleep is impossible! I inform the reception THREE times about my bathtub/shower being blocked before anything was done about it....at 9pm!!! It was plunged and left in a disgusting state until housekeeping were to clean it the next day meaning i could not get a shower. I asked to move rooms to a quieter part of the hotel with a working shower.... I was then given a room without curtains! Again i had to approach reception ThREE times about it and i was finally told that the curtain had a hole in it and it has been removed. I asked what the solution was and they said there isnt one!!!! Shocking! Breakfast is overcrowded every morning and makes eating very uncomfortable - thats if you actually find a seat! I have never ever stayed in a hotel with such bad service and i travel for a living. If the staff were trained in problem solving and customer service i think the hotel would itself would be a more pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Elīna G, Front Office Manager at PK Riga Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Shorty0012,

Thank You very much for taking your time and giving a review about PK Riga Hotel & Spa.
Guest feedbacks are very important in doing the necessary improvements in the future.
For us it is most important that our Guests stay satisfied with their stay. I would like thank you for your point of view to the things that should be improved in the future.
As for technical problem which raised with sewerage, to avoid any such case for future, House-Keeping Department will check if the water is flowing properly in every bathroom before the cleaning.
We have put blinds back in the room on 7th floor and every our room limit privacy and ability to get a good sleep.
Team of PK Riga Hotel & Spa is customer service oriented, therefore, for us it even more important to know where we have to improve and training in problem solving and customer service is going to be held in closest future to avoid such Guest comments in the future.
In breakfast room there have been more tables and seats added and we comfortable eating is ensured.
Thank you for taking your time to meet me on your departure date and I hope that you will return to PK Riga Hotel & Spa and find it a pleasant place to stay.

Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Second time here, now for three nights in may. Very friendly staff - in general and especially when we arrived and as "loyal customer" got an executive room instead of the standard we had ordered. The wine bar serves a wide selection from all over the world and tasty cold and warm snacks and is really worth for a visit and wine tasting (we made it every day :-). We arrived by car and it was very easy to find a parking place every day and evening just in front of the hotel.The only thing to complain is the setting of the tables in teh breakfast room/restaurant, it should be redesigned to be easier to move there without pushing other guests aside at every table you pass.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Elīna G, Front Office Manager at PK Riga Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear ToursTK,
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at the PK Riga Hotel with other travellers on Tripadvisor.
It is great to read that you evaluate service and value at PK Riga Hotel as excellent.
It gives me and all of our team a great pleasure to know that you find our staff friendly and I am very glad that bar De Vino met your expectations as is a perfect place to discover new tastes and enjoy wine in a relaxing atmosphere.
We have discussed redisinging of the breakfast room with Restaurant Manager so that it would be easier for our guests to move around breakfast area.
I am delited to hear that you appreciate that free upgrade from Standard room to Executive was given and we would be pleased to welcome you back for your 3rd visit to PK Riga Hotel.
And I would let you know that during your next visit you will have opportunity to visit our new Spa area.
Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

hotel, there was also a funny mistake :) We wanted to have smoking room, but there was no ashtray in the room, but it smelled like it has been used as smoking room. We asked to have ashtray, but the guy in the reception said it is non-smoking room. We asked him to came to room and find himself, could some non-smoking person stay in room that smells like this. So he had to admit, that situation changes; smoking room can also be non-smoking room and vice versa...
Breakfast was ok, but it seemed like there is not any kind of cold plates under food, so I did not wanted to taste Latvian fish..
staff was friendly, location was not very good, we had to walk across (beautiful) parks.
Bathroom was dirty, we had to buy detergent before we could use toilet...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Elīna G, Front Office Manager at PK Riga Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Petra75,
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at the PK Riga Hotel with other travelers on Tripadvisor.
For us it is at most important that our Guests stay satisfied with their stay and become our frequent guests.
Thank you for evaluating breakfast as good. Please be sure that food in restaurant is very fresh and replaced all the time so you don`t have to worry that there was no cold plate under Latvian fish.
I’m glad to read that you value our staff as friendly. We are working to improve our service all the time and are pleased that you estimate our effort.
Necessary actions were taken with speaking over to housekeeping manager regarding cleanliness in bathroom to avoid such experiences in the future. And thank you for paying our attention on fact that there was a smell of cigarettes in the room. After spring-cleaning and replacing carpets most of the rooms in PK Riga Hotel will be non-smoking.
We are looking forward to host you in PK Riga Hotel!
Tampere
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

stayed a night here, as my airbaltic flight was cancelled and PK was the only choice they offered. seems to happen alot.

the hotel is in the centre, but at some distance from the more touristy areas roughly 1.5 kms from the centre of old town.

check-in was pretty quick, the staff at the reception really friendly. got a room on the ground floor, relatively small (some space around the double bed, but not too much). very basic decor, some wear&tear but relatively clean. the room was very cold, i turned the heating to full, but it didn't help much. maybe i should have read the earlier reviews to realize that i could also turn the bath room floor heating on, maybe that would have helped a bit. but you really should not have to use tricks like that to get the room warmer. it was only around zero degrees outside, definitely would not like to stay here if the outside temperature was sub zero.

breakfast - also pretty basic. some cold and warm dishes, coffee, orange juice etc. they were renovating the restaurant during the breakfast hours, half of the restaurant was a construction zone so the tables on the open area were very cramped.

the bar de vino was really nice, though. had some wine and snails there in the evening.

have stayed in a few hotels in riga before - this would not be my choice if i was making the reservation myself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Elīna G, Front Office Manager at PK Riga Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear aapeen,
Thank You very much for taking your time and giving a review on our hotel.
PK Riga Hotel is located in the Art Nouveau district of Riga, and only 10-minute walking distance to the historic Old Town.
It is great to see that you have given highest estimate for service provided during the stay. Thank you for evaluating check-in procedure as quick. we are glad that you found our staff friendly – each guest is special for us and we are trying to do our best at the service that we provide.
And I am very glad that bar De Vino met your expectations as is a perfect place to discover new tastes and enjoy wine in a relaxing atmosphere. There are over 300 sorts of different wines.
Additionally, we are proud to let you know that renovation has been finished and our new high-class restaurant „Degustare” has opened its doors to our hotel guests as of February 2013.
The hot buffet breakfast is served in the restaurant and there is plenty to choose from, but I would be glad to receive your recommendation for what else should be added to buffet breakfast to my e-mail address elina.gulbe@pkhotels.eu.
Thank you for pointing out that rooms should be warmer. We have taken your advice and would be pleased to host you in PK Riga Hotel during your next visit to Riga,as I am sure that you wouldn`t be disappointed.
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was booked this hotel by airline company, while waiting for a next flight on the next day, so actually i got one free accomodation and free transportation from&to the airport so nothing to complain at all. It was Christmas day and very very cold. Room was very cold and took a while to warm up (it has never become very warm, but it is okay...)

Room was very big and had minimum stuff there (it is really 3star hotel, so you get what you expect, nothing more). Though their extra consideration was excellent. Next day I needed to leave hotel earlier than their breakfast room opens. They promised to prepare something for me to take away. Next morning upon check-out, I received a huge breakfast package with ham, cheese, fruits, bread and juice...I was so impressed with the hospitality! (and my case it is still within free service!)

If you want to explore Riga and if your travel destination is Riga itself, probably you would go for another choice, but for one night transit pupose only, this hotel is quite OK.

One note - sauna needs to be booked in advance and I couldn't try because it was already fully booked.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Smappe
Elīna G, Front Office Manager at PK Riga Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Smappe,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with PK Riga Hotel.
I am glad that room given and breakfast package met your expectations. We always give rich take-away breakfast for those guests, who leave PK Riga Hotel before breakast time.
It is really great to read that you was impressed with the hospitality. We are working to improve our service all the time and are pleased that you estimate our effort.
I am sorry to read that room was too cold for you but please be informed that there is a possibility to regulate radiators manually, as well as to switch on floor heating and towel dryer and we do have extra blankets placed in a wardrobe.
During the winter time sauna and jacuzzi is very popular in our hotel as it is a very nice way to warm up during the cold weather. So we do recommend to book sauna in advance.
We are looking forward to host you in our hotel in near future and would be glad to book sauna for you in advance so that you could try it next time.
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for four nights over the new year. I agree with a previous traveller that this is more of a three star hotel. While not the hotels fault, loads of youngsters made it feel a bit like a youth hostel.
Pros - Staff friendly and helpful. Room small but clean and bathroom modern. Heating OK.
Cons - Management needs waking up:
e.g. Mould starting in the caulking of the shower tray not acceptable. Shower bracket loose. Towels rather threadbare.
Fight every morning to get a table for breakfast. Breakfast not impressive and buffet layout caused congestion.
For 4 stars it is not acceptable that the Bar was closed over the new year. (Instead we went to the Monika Hotel bar 50 yds down the road which was open and had a nice ambience).
We walked out of the restaurant due to no wine list being offered and choice of dish unavailable. For the menu prices we would expect better. (Instead we had an excellent dinner in the Alberta restaurant 10 mins walk away)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ausblue17,
Thank you for giving highest estimate for cleanliness. I’m glad to read that you value our staff as friendly and helpful, room clean and bathroom modern.
During the low season we are freshening up our rooms to make them even more pleasing to the eye.
Thank you for drawing our attention to the fact that bar was closed during the New Year. We will do our best to insure that De Vino bar will be open every day (as well on National holidays).
At the moment restaurant is closed for renovation and this was a reason why some of meals and drinks where not available. The good news are that restaurant will be opened on 1st of February having completely new design and menu.
Thank you once again for your feedback and we will do our best to make your next visit to our hotel pleasant.