“Absolutely superb traditional Russian cuisine in a beautiful atmospheric setting”
Review of Uncle Vanya

Uncle Vanya
Ranked #749 of 1,052 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Russian restaurant Uncle Vanya is a cozy and warm place to enjoy great food and take a drop of vodka. Riga. Latvia.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We decided to try Uncle Vanya for two main reasons: one, we were fresh off our 16 day trip to Russia, and had discovered we both really like good Russian cuisine; and two, this place was very highly recommended in TripAdvisor. Two other reasons also helped: it was convenient to our hotel in Old Riga, and we love Chekhov's plays, including Uncle Vanya. It was a perfect choice for our last night in Riga. Our dinner was superb in every way. We could have sat outside and enjoyed the view of the beautiful art nouveau buildings in the neighborhood, but we chose to sit inside because the interior of this restaurant is so inviting, cozy and charming. Plus, it was air conditioned –– a big plus in view of the incredibly hot weather under which the Baltic was wilting in late July. The service was friendly, attentive, prompt and totally English fluent. Best of all, the food was divine. My wife and I shared a large appetizer of pelmeni (Russian tortellini) stuffed with salmon and sturgeon. It was sublime –– perfectly prepared, light, not at all heavy, and delcious. For our main course, we shared a whole baked sturgeon with mushroom cream sauce, cauliflower and potatoes. It was also absolutely delicious. The dinner was pretty filling, so we skipped dessert, but instead enjoyed the house-made traditional Latvian vodka. It was great! Highest possible recommendation!

3  Thank Rick049

Reviewed July 25, 2014

First time I went, I appreciated the atmosphere, the service, the food, and the very fair prices. I had "normal" food: vodka and chicken paté as compliment of the house, beef tongue (excellent), salmon croquettes (good), dessert (excellent). All food were artfully presented. I drunk beer. A guitarist played soft Russian music. In the menu there was "sturgeon caviar", that the waiter said was coming from Russia. I like caviar, and now - being very difficult to find Russian - I appreciate Italian one (Calvisius, that exports to Russia a large part of its production), and Latvian one (Mottra). So, I came back to Tevocis Vana to taste their Russian caviar. On the menu, they listed "sturgeon caviar pancakes", but I asked for plain caviar, toasts and butter. They have no plain butter: only little pieces (frozen) with herbs. The sturgeon caviar was really poor. The green salad I had before was poor too, and tossed with an "olive oil" perfect for the engine of my car: loathsome. The champagne was good, but they have not that one that I first asked for. The waitress was undoubtedly kind and helpful, but why don't offer the stirrup cup to a client that paid € 200,00 and left a right tip (€ 20,00)?

3  Thank maurizio43
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Given the high reviews of this restaurant I decided that I had to try it! It was the best decision I could have made! The food is delicious an the presentation is superb. You can really tell from the presentation that this chef knows what he is doing and is a master of his trade. I had soup, salad, and a main course and all were excellent and the price was very reasonable for the quality. The staff here are also very warm and friendly. I really liked the atmosphere here also as it was like eating in a Russian dining room! Also outside seating is excellent and very comfortable!

PS you MUST try the homemade horseradish vodka. I was skeptical at first but after one shot I was very impressed at how delicious it was. This is the only restaurant that makes it in all of Riga!

2  Thank PresPJ
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Had a great time! A very good place to try some genuine food and vodka with a very nice atmosphere.

The horseradish vodka is an experience in its own right, and the food was excellent.

2  Thank AtomicPuffin
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We decided to come here for a meal after seeing reviews on trip advisor. We came on a monday night around 8pm but found the restaurant to be fairly busy with a good atmosphere. Staff were helpful without being over bearing. We were offered a free starter of pate which was a lovely gesture and it was beautifully presented. We shared a starter of aubergine slices with cheese and also fish dumplings which were both excellent. We then had beef stroganoff and code in a beautiful spinach sauce and again both were very tasty, well good and good servings. We finished with tea and a free shot of their home made liquor which was excellent. We would come back again if we were in Riga and would recommend as we found this to be excellent value for money for food quality, service and the beautiful decor and ambiance. Meal prices were cheaper then a lot of the more pub type places in central Riga.

2  Thank HannahK1987