“Local Favorite” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tokyo City

Tokyo City
Ranked #501 of 937 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Las Vegas, Nevada - USA
“Local Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

After leaving the Double Coffee Manhattan location very close by due to very poor service (none), we were standing outside and saw a local friend going into Tokyo City. We felt that he was a young "hipster" who probably knew the town well, so we also went in to Tokyo City for dinner. There are large color signs on the window with photos advertising food items available for purchase. A portion of the restaurant faces a lovely park.

We were pleasantly surprised to find a lot of staff working. We were immediately greeted and told we could sit wherever we wanted. Though there were no menus in English, our waiter patiently explained items available and answered any questions we had.

While we were waiting, we were given hot washcloths to wipe our hands. The timing of our meal was nice, as we first ordered drinks which were served immediately. Soon thereafter, a spicy chicken with noodles dish my husband ordered came out. The dish was fantastic. Then our pizza and my husband's eel sushi was served. He said that sushi is some of the best he's ever had (we are foodies and have eaten sushi on the California coastline among many other places). Also, he was given a generous amount of the eel, which was flavorful and well seasoned. I was able to custom request a margarita pizza with pepperoni, as a single topping of pepperoni was not on the menu. Pizza was good, though the Asian food was much better.

Service was attentive and among the best we had experienced in Latvia during our week long vacation. Despite the restaurant closing early due to a Latvian holiday (Sunday, June 23 and Monday, June 24) we were still treated with dignity and at no time were we rushed out.

I admit that I was skeptical at first at how food would taste at a place that served both pizza and Asian food, but everything was great. We were impressed with the food and service at this restaurant, and would definitely return.

• Visited June 2013

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Riga, Riga, Latvia
“Amazing atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent meals and service! Amazing atmosphere, great people! On of the best places for food and drink in Riga!

• Visited May 2013
Riga
“Go for the 2-for-1 price, otherwise average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I mostly go this restaurant (they are a chain with 3 or 4 restaurants around Latvia) because of 2-for-1 price promotions they basically have almost all of the time. Sushi is good, but I would recommend asking the waiter for recommendations, as some of the offers which look nice in the menu might disappoint.
My favorites are hot sushi, which are very nutritious and often also quite spicy.
Too bad that apparently there is no english menu yet, but maybe that changes at some point.
So the basic verdict is - if you go for the 2-for-1 offer it is worth it, otherwise there are nicer sushi places in Riga.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
“No English Menu”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I went there because the place always looked packed and people left happy. Well I went in and sat down. After 10 minutes someone finally brought me a menu. I looked and it was in Latvian and Russian. I asked for an english menu and the young man said no. I had to walk out. Its a shame. I know this is not an english speaking nation but being so close to Old Riga and Riga itself wanting to become a tourist destination, its a shame to have a place without at least mininal english translations.

Also, the wait staff would't hel me with translation. Too bad the place looked good.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jyvaskyla, Finland
“Nice night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went out for dinner to this restaurant on Friday night. The location is very good, very close to the main station. The menu offered a big choice: Japanese cuisine, salads, soups, desserts, pretty big variety of beverages. I think any person can find something good to order in the restaurant. We ordered soups, sushi and cocktails. The food was served within 10 minutes and in the right order: drinks, first course and sushi. The soup was hot and delicious as well as sushi, and the portions were huge! Don't worry, you wouldn't leave this place hungry :) The staff were not trained perfectly, but because of the food we didn't care too much about it. And the prices were totally affordable.

• Visited March 2013