“Not worth the price”

KOTAI Noodle Boutique
Ranked #645 of 971 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: Kotai pirmsākumi meklējami 2000. gada pavasarī, kad tā dibinātājs, tolaik vēl tikai vidusskolas absolvents, sakravāja koferus un pārcēla savu iedzīvi no Latvijas dzestruma uz Taizemes tveici. Jau pirmajā dienā pēc ierašanās, saskāries ar vietējās kulinārijas maiguma un pikantuma galējībām, mūsu varonis sev apsolīja, ka no tām vairs nekad nešķirsies. Nekad, nekad.Pavadījis nākamos 12 gadus apceļojot Āziju krustām šķērsām, kāre pēc eksotikas bija beidzot apmierināta. Bija pienācis laiks apmierināt kāri pēc Latvijas. Jau pirmajā dienā pēc atgriešanās, saskāries ar pašmāju ēdināšanas iestāžu taizemiešu virtuves pliekanumu un nebaudāmību, mūsu varonis nolēma cīnīties pret šo kulināro netaisnību. 2012. gada vasarā durvis vēra Latvijas pirmais autentiskās taizemiešu virtuves restorāns Kotai. Pateicoties ēdienu sastāvdaļu autentiskumam un taizemiešu pavāra apmācīta personāla profesionalitātei Kotai piedāvātie ēdieni tiešām garšo tieši tā, kā tām būtu jāgaršo. Tie ir asi. Tie ir maigi. Tie ir burvīgi. 2014. gada sākumā, tā vietā, lai baudītu īstu Āzijas nūdeļu neatkārtojamo garšu, Tu nez kādēļ sēdi un lasi šo stāstu. Droši pasūti un mēs atvedīsim!
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Just ordered the food in Kotai. The service was rude and impatient. The food was average. Definitely not worth the price. Thank you and good by!

• Finnish first
Riga, Latvia
“Great food, portions could be bigger :)”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have eaten at Kalku 2 and also had take-away delivered to our office and I must say that both times the food was excellent. The variety of dishes and authentic flavors make for a good eating experience, with perhaps my only complaint being the size of portions, which could be bigger (especially take-away).

I have been to Thailand and also visited many Thai restaurants abroad in UK and Australia, and I have to admit your food is right up-there with the best in authenticity, taste and spiciness!

Thanks and keep up the good food! :))

• Visited January 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Spicy and inexpensive”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

First of all: this is NOT only a take-away restaurant even though the title states it. It has a small seating area with tables and the interior is all in all simple, yet stylish. The food was cheap, tasty and spicy, just as they promised. You can choose the spiciness from 3 different categories, according to your own taste. The staff was also very friendly, so all things considered this was a really good experience!

Riga, Latvia
“a nice piece of Thailand in a heart of Old Riga”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

When I came at this restaurant at first time, I thougt that it will be another litlle place with small choice of Eastern cuisine, but I was thankfully surprised. The kitchen was absolutelly different than in others Eastern restaurants in Riga. Each meal (no matter what you will order) will be prepared especially for you (no heating or mixing of prepared ingridients). Food was very delicious and I must say that I finally found most spiciest food in whole Riga. The restaurant is not so big and it is more comfortable, also you can see biggest part of kitchen by the big wall of glass . Employees were wery polite and nice. I had all answers on my questions about Thailand food, and what is special about it. And finnaly - prizes are very affordable if you compare with other kind of restaurants.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Edgar V
“Thai Food At Its Best”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Let me just say that I've lived in Thailand long enough to consider myself a connoisseur, if not an expert, of Thai food. That being said, I've been to quite a few Asian food restaurants in Riga looking for that deja vu taste only to find disappointment and eyebrow-raising checks instead. Then again, when you see both sushi rolls and tom kha on one menu, it does look a bit fishy (no pun intended). I'm referring to the Tokyo City restaurant, whose tom kha must have been be the most expensive bowl of boiled water I have ever eaten. Yes, it was that terrible.
Now, back to Kotai. Knowing how traumatized I was culinarily, you can't really blame me for taking the sign above their restaurant that says "Authentic Thai food" with a grain of salt. I was in for a surprise, though. It's THE ONLY place in Riga that offers the original "it's so hot I can't take it ... but it's too good to stop" Thai cuisine. They do, however, warn you of the spiciness of theirs soups before taking orders and even let you choose your preferred level of hotness. Another thing worth mentioning is the service. I've been a regular customer ever since I came across this place and I must admit, the service here is absolutely praiseworthy. Not once did I see a grumpy or rude waiter. At noon I suggest to make orders prior to arrival (by phone) or order take-out because Kotai, as popular as it is, is usually crowded at noon.
Ironically, one of the best restaurants in Riga is also one of the cheapest. Plus, regular customers get a discount. Two thumbs up!!! Other restaurants should take notice.

• Visited September 2012