“Delicious food!!!”

Cuisines: Armenian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I recommend lamb chops and chakhohbili. The lamb was really something I had never tried before. You can see from the menu, that they have a large selection of grills. Also nice service and pleasant atmosphere, Armenian-style interior. Recommend!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were at the restaurant after having been to another Armenian restaurant the day before in Riga, where we had enjoyed the food.
The place is downstairs in a large and nicely decorated cellar.
We got a good looking menue, ordered the food and then - the waitress came back and told my wife that there was no beef steak and asked her to order something else. And then, 2 minutes later she came back and told me there there were no lamb chops!
Unbelievable.
When I asked her why these things were on the menue and were not available we got the bland answer - they were expecting a large group. What a joke.

2  Thank cajeju
Mesrops, Manager at Akhtamar, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Cajeju!
I am the manager of restaurant Akhtamar. I want to apologize to You in the name of the restaurant as well as personally. I am sorry that You did not get the experience You expected from us. I would like to explain the reasons that caused this misunderstanding, although there can be no excuses at this situation.
On the day of your visit an hour before your arrival a group ordered dinner for 40 people on the same day and they insisted that they wanted to make a pre-order, i.e. they already chose the menu and caused us to partly run out of stock. It has always been the philosophy of our restaurant to never freeze any products for long-term storage, since quality of the food suffers that way. By following this philosophy, we are able to provide the freshest food to our guests. However, one drawback of such an approach is that we cannot hold large amount of stock, since we do not freeze anything for carriage to the next day. Unfortunately, this is what exactly happened on the day of your visit – we partly ran out of stock. Our staff is aware of our philosophy, therefore, according to our internal servicing guidelines, they are required to know at any point in time which dishes are available for guests. It was a violation of our guidelines by the waitress, since she made You order several times and was not fully aware of which dishes were available at that time. We have made the necessary discussions with our staff to make sure no such servicing mistakes appear in the future. Once again, I am sorry that You did not get the experience You expected from us. Hope to see You again some day in our restaurant.

Yours sincerely,
restaurant Akhtamar.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Great choice for sunday lunch is this restourant. Located in the center, with good service, reasonable prices and first of all very taste food. We recommended soups like starter (cream soup brocoli and spinach) and any kind of meat dishes (I recommend armenian style stake or shashlik).
If you expect reasonable big portion, spicier and tasty dish, you are at the right place.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

…in my opinion, it's not the best Armenian/Georgian restaurant in Riga. I went several times to Aragats and Armenia, and both have better food (Aragats has also better wines, and a wide selection of cold/frozen Armenian spirits of Artsakh Brandy Company, my favourite Armenian distillery). Anyhow, food is eatable, waitresses very kind, prices light. 3 and 1/2 could be better.

3  Thank maurizio43
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Good armenian restaurant in Riga, have been there many times through the years, it was really great 8-15 years ago, but is beginning to come back to what it was.