“Fisherman's Sons”

Fisherman's Son
Ranked #174 of 1,094 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: ”Strong and tough people live in this quiet corner of the earth ” Vilis Lacis says on coastal Latvians.In 1939, a feature film was made after his romana ”Fisherman`s Son” , depicting life in fishing villages, fishermen, their joys and troubles, harsh and full of risk everyday life. One generation inherits tools from the other, working methods and hope to become wealthier and independent.Oscar is a fisherman`s son, who is fighting for these ideals, with a bright mind, strong will and faith in a better tomorrow.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

is the name you see more prominently. Zvejnieka dels is displayed on a weathered sign above the windows. They specialize in fish dishes, which were very tasty, and looked wonderful too. A little pricey if you get an appetizer and dessert though.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Service was excellent from the moment we walked in. Clearly the restaurant has moved on from some of the previous review or maybe it was just because it was a quiet Monday in Riga.

We had a good window seat and the menu is varied and interesting. First impression, though was to go for the catch of the day but the waiter warned that it was enormous so decided to go for the Bouillabaisse of Latvian river fish which was exceptional. Very tasty, full of flavour and good quality fish.

The environment was good, it is a relaxed place. Like other reviewers I do not know the film or the book but I understand the owner is a fisherman's son himself. I appreciated the theme and the fishing photographs which cover the wall. Most of all, though I liked the commitment to well cooked fish and the friendly service from a waiter who was happy to talk through the menu and make good recommendations.

Typical of this was desert, there is no way I would have chosen goat's cheesecake with sea-buckthorn (I still don't know what this is) sorbet but it was a revelation, one of the tastiest deserts I have eaten.

It's difficult to judge value when you are on a tour of Scandinavia, I'm sure there were cheaper places in Riga but it was half the price of Stockholm or Helsinki and we left it full and contented. I'd recommend the Fisherman's son.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed September 24, 2012

not grand to look at ,but very good range of fish well-cooked good desserts -goats cheese warm cheese-cake with sea-buckthorn sorbet. Good service. . Range of wines was well-priced.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Went to the restaurant in September this year with a friend of mine who was visiting Riga.
I was advised to visit this restaurant by a friend of mine who said it was tasty and lovely atmosphere.. The interior is great but I was very disappointed about the service first of all. The waiter didn't know any manners. He brought us 2 menus both Latvian, then disappeared so i had to find the English menu myself, was trying to take away unfinished food etc overall not being polite at all.
The food was good but very little. We ordered extra potatoes but never got any. For the price of 9 LVL or EUR 13.00 I was hoping to get a bit more. We stayed hungry..

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Located in centre, very average food with polite, but cold service...Very expensive, specially if you compare with another really fine dining and quality places (LeDome, Neiburgs). If you are extremely hungry and not care about price, than it is ok, otherwise go to better (no problem in Riga).

1  Thank Czech_George