“Nice hotel. Location not central”

Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Brussels, Belgium
“Nice hotel. Location not central”
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Stayed 1 night on 31 July 2010. Booked a double on the Choice Hotels site for €70.

The hotel is about 15-20 minutes walk from the bus / central station, and a good 10 minute walk to the Old Town.

We had a room on the 6th floor. Because of the sloped room, the room felt quite small . The shower didn't drain properly, so water covered the whole bathroom floor. Most importantly, we had a good night's sleep.

The Clarion Collection evening buffet was OK. Good selection of vegetables. The hot dishes were nothing special. (anyway, it all depends on how you see the buffet: as a "complimentary" meal or something for which you are paying a few euros extra, compared to other hotels...)

Since on Sundays breakfast starts at 8, We didn't have time to have breakfast.

Staff in general were nice, except for one lady when we checked out. She was the receptionist but was busy preparing the dining room for breakfast, and was VERY irritated that we checked out when she had something else to do and made it clear. If we didn't have to catch a bus, we would certainly have talked to a manager.

A few days after our stay, we e-mailed the hotel to complain about this staff member. We received a prompt response from Zane, the General Manager who apologized.

We've been to better Clarion Collections. So, if you have been to those in Scandinavia, just do not come to the Valdemars with the same expectations in mind. Overall, a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank r1d
ZaneBusa, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Dear Guest,

I remember talking to you earlier and it is great that in the end we settled everything!

Reception girl, who was checking you out, is no longer employee of our hotel.
I noticed that you left our hotel without having breakfast, for future notice, if you inform reception in advance, we can allways prepare you take away breakfast bags, so you don't leave our hotel hungry.

Thank you for posting this review and new pictures!

With best regards,
Zane Busa
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2010

My friend and I went to Riga for a girls' getaway and we were so pleased we chose this hotel! The rooms, whilst not big, were very comfortable and very clean. The location is great, everything is in walking distance and the old town is about 5-10mins walk away.

We had breakfast and evening meal included which were buffet style (and very nice) and there was a couple of options, so you could eat as much or as little as you liked! There was also fresh tea and coffee in the comfy lobby and snacks available in the afternoon - I would highly recommend, unbeatable value for money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kat-liz10
ZaneBusa, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
Dear Guest,

thank you for posting this nice review! We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Greetings from everyone at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars!

Zane Busa
General manager

P.S. Autumn is here and Riga looks soo beautiful, you should return! :)
Elektrostal, Russia
Reviewed September 6, 2010

The best ratio price/quality. Hotel in downtown, free wi-fi, free sauna&jaccuzi, HB - all of this for very reasonable price. Charming design, qualified stuff. The only minus - no parking.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ZaneBusa, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Dear Guest,

thank you for your review!

My only comment is regarding parking - we actually have a parking, but it is located ~3 min walking distance (one block away) from our hotel. It is 24hours guarded parking lot where we suggest our guests to park their vehicles.

We are located in the city centre and as in all big towns, parking is an issue. So, next time you're in Riga, please contact reception desk and they will provide you with directions of our parking lot.

Hope to see you some other time!

Greetings from Riga,
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I'm reluctant to endorse it because it was so awsome I'm afraid everyone will hear about it and then it will get so popular that I won't be able to get a room there. BUT, I must be honest and say it is truly a wonderful place. I am amazed that the taxi driver had never heard of it. At first I thought that was a bad sign, but I was wrong. He just didn't know about this gem.

I believe some hotels have an airport shuttle - this is not one. I looked for ones that did, but I settled on this hotel (thankfully) after just needing to make a decision and pick a place. On the plane (AirBaltic) I purchased two taxi rides [a strange inflight shopping item] and that turned out to be a worthwhile value. It may not have saved a lot, but it provided peace of mind.

Arrived in time for buffet dinner, but had to leave early before breakfast. The dinner was wonderful and I did see some of the prep for breakfast so I'm sure I would have enjoyed it as well. Also, because of my early departure they provided a sack breakfast (actually, it was really more lunch type items [two sandwiches, fruit, and a juice]) which was quite nice to have.

Also enjoyed the workout room and large jacuzzi. Didn't have time for the sauna. Probably would have enjoyed running in the area; it looked nice and was close to the "Old Town". The room info mentioned that the staff would have been able to suggest places to run - however, my stay was too short.

Here's another bonus: coffee 24 hrs a day. And not just lousy coffee, but really good, bold coffee.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank KeynoteMrEd
ZaneBusa, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for such a nice feedback regarding your stay at our hotel!

It is really true - if you are interested in combining two positive activities: jogging and sightseeing, we have a map of jogging tracks that we recommend to our guests. Maps are available in the reception (together with a reflective jacket for your safety while jogging).

We hope that you will choose our hotel again for your next visit to Riga!

With best regards,
uppsala
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I have been with you both as a private guest and on business, for many many years. I have seen how enormously the hotel has developed, in all fields - room standards, management, reception of guests, attitudes. What I have come to appreciate most is the combination of professial service AND the family like atmosphere which meets you on entering the doors... Internet facilities, so important for all generations, run smoothly.
For my purposes, both as a tourist in Riga and the business I am in, the location is just perfect.You reach the Old City comfortably by walk. With your eyes open you can also just start your walking trip from the hotel into the immediate surrounding and get to know this fascinating, World Heritage ranked city, its history and remarkable architecture.
A detail on the negative side: It was a bit crowded in the breakfast room last time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

we all thank you for posting this nice review!

We are trying hard, so our guests can enjoy friendly service and cozy atmosphere, it makes me really glad that you felt it while staying at our hotel!

With warm greetings,
Malta
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August 2010 in a single room with en-suite shower and toilet. The decor is in the typically minimalist style which seems common among Nordic/Baltic countries. My room was on the second floor, facing a spacious internal courtyard; nothing to complain. It was silent, spacious, the towels were soft and the shower, the bed and the floor were all spick and span. The only small comment is that the room was rather spartan in decor however I was there to visit Riga and the Valdemars hotel did its main duty which was to give me a safe, clean roof over my head for my stay for a reasonable price. Thumbs up for the lovely people at reception; their warm welcoming smile and helpful problem-solving attitude were so appreciated by this traveller. Other plus points are: location (15 min walk to old city centre) and free tea and coffee at reception. Would certainly consider staying there again on my next visit. One tip: if the banks are closed and you need to change money try the Gallerija centre in the old town. There's a bank that is open until 8pm and charges a nominal 50 latvian centimes fee to exchange money; much less than the exchange bureaus in the streets of the old town which run a complete racket in commission fees/charges.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank jojo589
Dear, Guest,

thank you for your kind review!
We all hope to see you again some other time!

With greetings from Riga,
Generla manager
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 21, 2010

This family-owned hotel in the city of Riga is very cosy, just excellent. We have stayed at hotel Valdemars many times and we always feel that special welcome from the friendly staff. The hotelrooms are nicely decorated, with nice bathrooms. The beds are very comfortable too. We always stay at Hotel Valdemars when we are visiting Riga. Looking forward until the next visit!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family