“Very warm family hotel feeling with great breakfast”

Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars
Ranked #23 of 110 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Cosy family hotel with great value for money. Breakfast buffet super and nice free afternoon buffet. Good location. A private hotel with a professional performance! We stayed in a large room but saw that there are many sizes. If any complaint it should be that it took time for the shower to heat up.

• Stayed: October 2012
ZaneGrike, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Eije,

thank you for your review, it was a pleasure to welcome you!

With warm greetings,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Me and a friend rented a suite for a week, must admit though that the only thing making it a suite was the fact that it was two rooms and a sofa. The free internet was of terrible quality so when I needed to use my wifii on the phone I had to stay downstairs or in the bathroom! During our stay the staff only changed the bed the night before we left.

There were two major dissapointments as we ended up getting sick and staying more inside the hotel than planned... one was there were no fridge or freezer and the drinks and refreshments in the room were in a tiny little basked which they did not fill up if you used any of it. And then there were only one desk with a tiny tiny tiny little TV. So there were no possibility for one of us to be on a laptop (on the desk for working) while the other one watching TV... as there were only one little desk and one chair in the "suite".

Then there was the food. Benefit: Free fruit. Downsides: coffee is powder coffee, juice is watered out, the "soft boiled eggs" were with green lining in the yolk 5 days in a row!

To be totally honest if it wasn't for the place looking "kinda pretty" I must admit the standard was more towards a motel in the US. This was not our first stay in Riga, next time for sure we will not end up staying here!

Room Tip: I don't even want to know how their regular rooms are like, as we did get a suite.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
ZaneGrike, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Liz,

sorry to hear that you left our hotel dissapointed! As for 3* hotel , we have daily cleaning in rooms and change of bed linnen only every second day, but we would do that only if you would approach us with a request, the same with WI-FI - we would immediately check what is not working properly, if only you would inform us about this.

With appreciation and best regards,

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is my first stay at this hotel but it won't be my last.
Just returned home after spending 5 nights in Riga at this superb hotel.

Been visiting Riga since 2005 but always stayed in the old town before.
This hotel is suitable for everyone,business, couples,family, alone, no matter what group you are in a warm welcome awaits you at the Hotel Valdemars
Firstly the reception staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable nothing too much trouble wether it be restaurants sightseeing or taxi's .
The breakfast and evening meals are superb, great value for your money.
All in all a very friendly hotel for everyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ZaneGrike, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us!
Looking forward to welcome you some other time again!

Greetings from Zane Grike and everyone at
Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for a day.
Chose the hotel because in addition to breakfast and dinner are served complimentary tea coffee fruit during the day.
The hotel room is easy. The bathroom has a hairdryer and shower gel.
The hotel itself is a very nice interior. Very friendly and welcoming staff.
Loved the food at the hotel. Good breakfast with a good selection of dishes. About five hours there are pastries. Dinner is also very tasty.
The whole day is free tea, coffee and fruit.
I settled in the early morning, before the standard for the hotel check in.
The hotel is located conveniently. Next quarter Nouveau houses. Go to the Museum of Art Nouveau.
The Old Town is fifteen minutes walk through the park.
I think I'll be back on occasion in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
ZaneGrike, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

thank you for writing this review!
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay!

See you sometime soon!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was my fourth trip to Riga but my first stay at the Valdemars. It's a beautiful, renovated hotel with many excellent extras. There is a free and delicious buffet for guests each evening. Fruit, tea and coffee are available all day and are also free. There are plenty of places to sit and read if you don't wish to do so in your room. There is plenty on offer at breakfast.

The only negative for me was largely of my own making. I was woken up at 1.00 am by a number of men talking very loudly in the corridor outside my room. This went on for about 20 minutes. I was woken up again at 6.00 am by more loud voices, speaking Russian, and much laughter from the next door room. The noise got worse over the next 20 minutes until I could bear it no longer and went to ask them to shut up. Their door was open and one very drunk young man came up close, asking me what I wanted. I pushed him away and he punched me on the side of my head hard enough to send me to the floor and break my glasses. I have been in some pain ever since. I called Reception and a man came very quickly. He told me, quite rightly, that I should have called him first and not tried to deal with the situation myself. So, I suppose this is a warning to any future guests not to be stupid like me; get the hotel staff to deal with violent drunks. I am in Riga again in January. This incident won't put me off staying in the Valdemars again, though I trust I won't have to put up with drunken Russians again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ZaneGrike, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I heard about the incident that happened with you, unfortunately, as you say - this time you should have just approached the reception and we would handle the situation ourselves.
If you saw the Security man that was working that evening, you would know for sure that it would be enough with only a warning from him to the loud company sitting outside.

Hope that you are feeling much better now and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2012

The Hotel Valdemars is a beautiful, family-owned hotel located near Riga’s Old Town. Its staff members are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the sites to see in both Riga as well as nearby cities such as Jurmala and Sigulda. The hotel has six floors and two elevators so getting to/from guest rooms was very easy.

Our room was good-sized and opened over an interior courtyard. Despite being in a business district, we were never bothered by any noise. The bathroom had an enclosed shower and had been modernized. There were lots of TV stations available in many different languages. Also, free wi-fi was available throughout the hotel.

Room rates were incredibly reasonable (we booked directly with the hotel) and included a great breakfast buffet, self-service tea & coffee all day long (including take-away coffee), an afternoon snack available from 3:00P-5:00P and a complete dinner buffet. The breakfast buffet included hot items (i.e., scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, real porridge) and cold items (i.e., meats & cheeses, fresh fruits, tomatoes, cucumbers, yogurt) and great breads - Latvian rye, hard rolls and sweet rolls. We were at the hotel one rainy afternoon and the snack was a “make it yourself” waffle; waffle batter and a machine were by the coffee in the restaurant area. Toppings for the waffle were either a local honey or strawberry compote. We tried a bit of each and they were both delicious. It was a wonderful break on a rainy afternoon.

The dinner buffet was a surprise to us because we weren’t sure it was included with all room rates until our arrival. Dinner was served from 6:00PM – 9:00PM. Each night there was a variety of salads, a soup, a main course and vegetables and also breads. Dessert was available by the coffee/teas. During our five night stay, there was a different meal each evening. The chef does an excellent job. Directly outside the restaurant area is a bar with very reasonably priced beer and wines which you can enjoy before dinner and/or with dinner (or afterwards). Otherwise, there is bottled water by the glass from a dispenser. Again, coffee and tea are included. This meal is a HUGE plus in terms of value and the ability to stay in the hotel and enjoy its ambiance.

To reach the Old Town, you have to walk a couple of blocks down Valdemara Street (Valdemara Iela) OR you can cut through the Esplanade Park at the corner of Valdemara and Elizabetes. Either way, you can’t miss the beautiful buildings once you cross over the Riga Canal. From the hotel, we also walked to the Central Train Station and Central Bus Station. The walk took about 20-30 minutes. The hotel staff gave us information about how to use the train to reach the Baltic seaside (Jurmala). We saved a great deal of money by going there directly without using an agency-sold tour. The same was true for visiting Sigulda. There we used a bus schedule we obtained from the Tourist Office in Old Town and, upon arrival in Sigulda, we used its Tourist Office to book a tour with an English-speaking guide who took us to the various sites via a golf cart (it’s necessary to reach Turiada Castle – some 4km away).

Finally, if you enjoy shopping, there is a mall that’s only a few blocks away from Hotel Valdemars (reception can show you on a map). It has lots of stores and also a Rimi grocery store in the event you want to purchase any food or liquor at good prices.

We thoroughly enjoyed Hotel Valdemars and highly recommend it. We will definitely return to Hotel Valdemars when we’re next in Riga.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ExcellentAdventures
ZaneGrike, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Dear Guest!

so many good tips you are giving to other Guests! God job and thank you for that!
It was a pleasure welcoming you and we hope to see you some other time!

With greetings from everyone at Valdemars

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed 3 nights and was more and more delighted by the hotel. Very nice and cosy lobby with "family atmosphere", for example pictures of the employes in their childhood. Rooms are cosy too. My single room hat a quite small bed and a quite simple bathroom, but that doesn't matter.
The Art Nouveau-building is beautiful and the staff is extremely friendly. The most astonishing thing was that you can get fresh fruits, water, tea and coffee whenever you want. Also afternoon snacks and a free dinner buffet in the evening is provided for the guests. You really feel "pampered" in this hotel. It's almost like being together with friends or a guest in the house of friends. The value-for-money-aspect is excellent! Claudia from Germany

Room Tip: Aks for a room with window to the backyard which will be more quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
ZaneGrike, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Valdemars, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Hello!

"Feeling among friends" is exactly what we are expecting from our Guests! Glad that you felt that too! It was nice to welcome you and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Hope to see you soon!