“lovely place to stay!”
Review of MultiLux

MultiLux
Ranked #28 of 69 Riga B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Friend and I stayed here 2 nights. We were in Riga to see Kylie on her Aphrodite tour! This place was in a great location, just a short walk into the centre. It was absolutely freezing in February but the heating in the room was perfect and always had hot showers. There are lots of cafes and places to eat around, and buses and taxis to the centre if you want. Friendly staff who gave us some good tips about the area. Nice budget hotel for a city break, would recommend!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed at Multilux Hotel in Nov 2011 just for one night. I arrived in Riga late in the evening and needed a place to sleep because in the morning I wanted to go to Jurmala. I booked a SGL room for 14 LVL (19 Eur). The hotel was easy to find. It is located not in the heart of the old town but about 15...20 mins fast walk or 3 or 4 tram stops. It took about 20 mins to get to the hotel from Riga Coach Station on legs. Just in case, Riga Coach Station and Riga Railway Station are 500 meters from each other only.

The hotel is located in the old building with no elevator. Some of the rooms are on the 6th floor. The reception is on the second floor. You have signs inside the building how to get there. When I checked in, a girl behind the reception desk offered me upgrade. I was the only one and she offered me a DBL room with 2 twin beds because on my floor, where I booked the room, a noisy company had a party. Of course, I agreed because I wanted to sleep. Many thanks to her!!

The room was on the second floor. It was rather big, en-suite, with minimal old furniture.

Pros:
- price for living;
- location for those who can walk fast or want to catch a tram (I repeat - this is not the heart of the old town);
- very friendly and useful receptionists (24 hrs) - really nice young girls with maps, adds and advices :) ;
- really good breakfast included in the room price with good hams, omlettes, eggs and many more - really good!!

Cons:
- noise - you hear absolutely everything from the neighbor rooms (even if somebody whispers, somebody's TV simply kills!!!) or from the street (no sound isolation);
- strong smell from toilet/bath - never have the door there opened, if you don't want to have this smell in your room.
- no elevator (not a problem for me).

Resume:
If I need a place to stay in Riga for one night, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2011

good location, in a nice part of town.it's nice to walk down the streets of the old town where you can see many interesting shops, buildings, people...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We spent our last 2 nights in this hotel, and we were really satisfied with everything. First: location. It is not in Old town, and thanks god for it:) Old town, of course, is the main touristic attraction, but, Riga has much more then that part where you can mostly see only tourists. Almost whole town is with a great architecture, nice streets, not small, not big, lot of stores, shoppes, caffees, restaurants, where you can see local people and feel a bit authentic life. This hotel is in such part of the town (Gertrudas street), very nice, with old architecture, surrounded by a lot of the same nice streets where you can enjoy jugendstil (Elizabetes st., O.Kalpaka st., Merkela st., K.Barona st, Alberta st....)
Hotel's rooms are the same nice, very big, clean, there is even the kitchen for the guests, if you want to cook something. Our room was with toilet (there are rooms without it, but I took a look at common toilet and shower room, and it was really clean, nice..).
Two girls on reception desk are extremely nice, helpful, ready to answer any question you have (we learnt how to say I LOVE YOU in latvian language: ES TEVI MILU:)
The breakfast is also nice (only minus for us: only instant coffee :(), but...
And the most impressive is price! 29 euros a double room for with toilet and shower room and breakfast included!
If I ever come to Riga again, it will be this hotel, for sure!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

this hotel has good location, just short walk from the old town and supermarket nearby. the room and bathroom were clean. simple but tasty breakfast included in the rate.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TrishandJoe
Reviewed July 6, 2011

The Multilux Hotel in Riga is very much a budget hotel, so if you expect chocolates on the bedspread or fawning attendants, this is not the place for you. Having said that, it is cheap, central, and clean. More details . . .

When I opened the door to the hotel I was a bit shocked by the stairway entry: chipped masonry, plaster-patched walls, etc., but I had seen worse in other parts of Europe so I trudged up to the second-floor reception area. The receptionist was not effusive, but she was polite and let me check into my room even though I was hours early. My room was on the sixth floor and that did mean a climb. If you are of a certain age or have mobility problems, this would not work for you. The higher I climbed the more decrepit the walls looked so I was apprehensive when I opened the room of my door. But it was fine: spare, yes, but large, clean, with big windows and a perfectly serviceable bathroom. The only concern I had was the door: it's very old wood and textured glass -- not soundproof at all. If the other people in your end of the hotel were loud this might be a problem. It wasn't for me (but then I never travel without earplugs).

Breakfast was basic but fillin. Not fancy by any means, but there were eggs, cold cuts, cheese, bread, juice, cucumbers. The standard Eastern European breakfast that I grew up with. If you need croissants, not for you, but if you just want calories, you've hit gold. And yes, the coffee was instant -- so have tea.

The area is very good: there is a supermarket on the corner, numerous restaurants within a block, and a seemingly endless number of alcohol shops a stone's throw away. You can walk to Old Town easily in 15 minutes.

The hotel has several routers for wifi.

Final note -- I asked the receptionist if there was a laundromat nearby. She told me to give my clothes to the women in the kitchen. They returned them the next day. Easy as pie.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, specify a room on the second floor.