“One of the best places I've ever been.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Riga
Krisjanis & Gertrude
Ranked #27 of 63 Riga B&B and Inns
Madrid, Spain
“One of the best places I've ever been.”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I arrived in the place at 6 AM. The front door was open so I entered and went to the 2nd floor, where the reception is located. Of course, no one was there in the reception, although they previously asked me by mail at what time I would be arriving so they could be prepared. I got there earlier than expected, so that's why nobody was there. At 7:30, a lady came and the first thing she did was to offer me a cup of coffee. She apologized as my room wouldn't be ready until noon, since I was checking in that day. But when she realized how tired I was (as I had travelled all the night) , she offered a little private room (probably for the staff) where I could rest until my room was prepared. Of course I accepted and slept there until 11 AM. When I got up, she told me that my room was ready and she offered to have breakfast. I had only reserved for one night but I got almost two nights. I was given a big room with a very high quality queen size bed. Although the place is just a B&B, it's much better that many hotels 3 and even 4 stars I've been.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Moisex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
München
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We found this place on our first morning in Riga purely by chance after discovering that where we had booked in advance was not what we expected. Krisjanis and Gertrude was half the price, and with such a pleasant atmosphere. One lady was able to answer any question we had in German, and another spoke English like a real Lady. They gave us some good tips about concerts and where to find the art galeries. I only wish that they had a name that was easier to remember, so I can book there next time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank petra_gzn
Sweden
Reviewed January 13, 2008

We chose Krisjanis & Gertrude mainly for the price and wasn't expecting much, to be honest. For us it turned out to be perfect.

We liked that it was small, meaning less people running around in the hallways at night. We liked the rooms, they were clean and matched a standard hotel room. We liked to be almost alone in the breakfast room, being served by the girl from the reception. No frills, but a whole lot for the money. And the location ain't bad either, a 10 minutes walk from the old town. It was nice to leave all the tourists behind when going "home" in the evening.

If I need to point out one thing that wasn't perfect: The bathroom was modern and clean but I could see some black mold in the shower. If they remove that I can't find anything negative to say about this place.

• Liked — Small, clean, cheap.
  • Disliked — Mold in the shower.
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with friends
4 Thank travelvoz
Reading
Reviewed November 4, 2007

I am glad that I came to this place. It was recommended by a musician friend. Nice breakfast, with the sun streaming in though the window, and real flowers on the tables. The room was clean and I slept well.

• Liked — Good atmosphere
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Peterlld
Surrey
Reviewed November 24, 2006

I can thoroughly recommend B&B Krisjanis & Gertrude. I go to Riga a couple of times a year on business, and also like to include the weekend especially if there is a good concert or opera. What I like about Krisjanis & Gertrude is that I always feel at home. The rooms are clean, everything is in its place, and the are beds comfortable. There is a spacious and nicely decorated common room where breakfast is served and with Internet so I can check my e-mail. I think that the kind and helpful staff together with the pleasant surroundings leads to a relaxed atmosphere. Krisjanis & Gertrude is no-smoking and quite small so is maybe not optimum for everyone. For me that is great. Before I knew about Krisjanis & Gertrude I stayed in a mixed bunch of hotels in Riga, many rather more costly and yet not as good. I also like the fact that at Krisjanis & Gertrude there is a kettle so that you can make a cup of tea in the room. I have rarely seen that outside the UK.

One word of warning, if you have not been before it can be a bit hard to find the entrance. The address in Krisjana Barona iela 39 but the entrance is round the corner in the cross street Gertrudes iela. Even a new sign that I noticed on my last trip does not help if you are looking in the wrong street. The search is worthwhile.

Another guest once showed me a German travel guide book which described B&B Krisjanis & Gertrude as the "secret tip" when booking a trip to Riga. I agree.

• Liked — I feel comfortable there
  • Disliked — Narrow staircase hard to climb with bags
  • Tips/Secrets — The entrance is not in the same street as the address would suggest.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business