“Best Place in Riga.”
Review of Hotel Bergs

Hotel Bergs
Ranked #2 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been staying at the Bergs for many years, after having tried other places in the city. I consistently return as the rooms are great, beds excellent and the whole feeling of the hotel in excellent. The hotel is located on the less attractive portion of Elizabetes iela, but it is very convenient for most things I do. I wish the bathrooms had proper showers, but this is the only (small) issue I have with the hotel. I very much recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Very nice boutique hotel in Riga. Resides in a quiet alley about 10 minutes walk from the Old City.
All amenities available including nice little gym. large comfortable room, and a nice and knowledgeable staff. would stay again, if ever in Riga

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Hotel Bergs has the advantage that it's very well located and also very quiet located. The rooms are contemporary and very spacious. The staff is very attentive and concerned about your well being. Service and food are of a very high standard.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is an excellent choice for a weekend in Riga. The hotel offers really big spacious rooms with small kitchenette, though we didn't used it at all. But our friends who stayed in the next room made tea and coffee for themselves. The room has a really nice seating zone, comfy beds, a clean bathroom.

The location of the hotel is good too. Still it's not in the Old Town, but surroundings are nice and it's about 10 minute walk to the historic center. The staff is very polite and helpful, we are quite satisfied with overall service. The restaurant in the hotel is amazing. Every dish was perfect and delicious. So it's a pity that the restaurant is closed on Sundays. And after 11pm the bar is closed too, you can only have room service with pizza. But after all it's a perfect deal with good value.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Simply the best hotel in Riga and one of the best in the Nordics&Baltics.
Stylish decor and quality service. All rooms have different lay-out and are good at size.
The location is not the best but central Riga is fairly small so this is not an issue.
On site gym has old equipment but serves the purpose.
Great value for money as well.
Next door restaurant Garage serves very tasty tigerprawns.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Teppo L
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed three nights with my boyfriend. Very happy with the hotel, I dont have anything negative to say about this place. The room was spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. Nice sitting area. WiFi was working well. Room service was excellent. Breakfast was good (only tried the one that was included). Make sure to try the chocolate mousse with berrie sauce that is at the buffet!
The gym is small, but has everything you need. The sauna was not heated when we were there, but Im sure they will turn it on for you if you ask.
Overall, great hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Hi All!
We spent 4 nights at Holiday at Bergs with my teenage son (15 yrs) in June 2014.
We stayed at the loft, which was truly a pleasant surprise. I requested a room/loft that had a balcony towards the sun and we got one. It was so relaxing to sit on the balcony, read a book and enjoy the sun. The only thing bothering me was the construction site opposite the hotel, which wasn't mentioned anywhere in advance, so there were times when I just couldn't sit on the balcony due to such heavy noise.
Loft was nice since we both had our own areas, I stayed upstairs and my son had his bed made to sofa downstairs, since he liked watching the TV in th evenings.
The loft had a kitchen as well, which was also convenient to keep drinks cold, and heat up some left over from our lunch etc.
The decor of the hotel is amazing, I really liked the way it looks, inside and out. It's located in the bazar area so lots of little shops around, and prices in them are way lower than in shops in the old town area, which, by the way, is only about 10-15 minutes’ walk away.

The service at the hotel..., well I have to say I have very mixed feelings about that. On the other hand, most staff members were trying to be helpful, whereas some of them failed miserably.
First of all, when we arrived, our room wasn't ready, which I totally understand. However, our luggage were left to the hallway by themselves so anyone walking by could have taken them and walked out of the hotel without anyone even noticing. I had to notify this to the front desk as I had computers, tablets etc. in my suitcases and I would have been really upset if someone had stolen them.

The breakfast was huge disappointment. I'm sure they've tried to come up with a new, innovative concept but to be honest, from the guest's perspective, not very good one. The buffet had basically only some bread in it, whereas everything else had to be ordered from the menu and paid separately, which would have been fine if the service had been faster and the food quality better. However, not a single thing went as planned. I had paid 50 euros for two full breakfasts on our first morning aand yet they tried to charge me for even one hot chocolate my son ordered. I kept explaining to the breakfast staff that I've already paid for everything, but they just didn't get it. I had to walk to the reception (in the middle of the breakfast) to explain the situation (as they, at least, spoke proper English) and they had to deal with the situation on my behalf, since I was, I admit, too upset to handle it any longer.
We ordered, amongst other things, fried eggs, which I specifically asked to be WELL done. Neither one of them were.
Ok, on the second morning I realized that the breakfast is not worthy of 25 eur/person, so we just ordered what we wanted to eat (instead paying for everything) and only paid for what was ordered; basically some bacon and omelets every day along with tea and hot chocolate. By far the worst tea I've ever had in my entire life and I've traveled around the globe about 3-4 times. It was blacker than coffee and so strong that there was no way I could have drank it, even with plenty of sugar to soften the bitterness...
By the way, what ever we ordered, we had to wait about 15-20 minutes to get it.
My diet needs to be 100 % gluten free and when I mentioned this to breakfast waitress, she didn't even know what it meant. Finally I got three pieces of muffin-look-a-like "breads", that felt into crumbs if I touched them and they had no flavor, not at all, completely tasteless.
This was simply a disaster for a breakfast and therefore, we bought our own breakfast ingredients from the nearby supermarket (which had incredibly cheap prices) and made excellent breakfasts to ourselves in our kitchen.

Overall, I liked the hotel and the room, but the service was poor, unfortunately.

Housekeeping did a good job though, exept for the balcony, which had heeps of birds droppings all over it. There were no chairs or tables on the small balconies so I had to take one of the chairs from the room over there to sit on (and had to be careful not to touch anything on the balcony since it was very unhygienic).

Front desk staff was helpful though. However, not once saw I the male receptionist smiling, which I found odd, considering that it was after all a 5 star luxury hotel.

Would I go back? Actually, if the breakfast concept was different and they'd have meals for guests with gluten-free diets I would, since, as I said, I loved the hotel's location, room, decor and the atmosphere. It has so much potential, it just needs to train its staff better in terms of guest service.

Hotels should always remember; it's better to exceed guests' expectations than disappoint the guest. Hotels are there for guests, not the other way around and not every employee understands this.

My special thanks go to Vladimir, who was always very helpful, smiling and spoke relatively good English.

Lovely hotel, great location and great room. Service not so great, but can be improved with proper training.

Room Tip: Loft we had was the biggest one of the lofts (don't remember the number any longer). It was loca...