“Worse than expected”

Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Vilnius, Lithuania
“Worse than expected”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I knew it's not the most up-to-date RB in Riga, however I was convinced by reasonable rate ( <60 EUR for standard room ) and, as being frequent visitor to Riga, wanted to try something else. Particularly RB Daugava was not the best choice at this time.
Hotel located in central part of Riga, facing Daugava river between two bridges. It has spacious parking lot ( 8 EUR/night ).
Positive: nothing specific to mention ( I think nowdays free wi-fi is absolute compulsory stuff in Baltics everywhere, so doesn't deserve to be mentioned as plus ), breakfast of average choice and taste - others RB's offer better.
Negative: hotel itself is really outdated, you can smell everywhere that days of fame for this hotel has been somewhere around 1995's - so everything requires major renovation; rooms old, requires repair, bathroom layout is not convinient; tv channels consist mainly of news channels and local tv programs - nothing special; spa and fitness center, including pool, is also open for external visitors - so it was overcrowded; water in pool was very cold; large gap ( like 5cm ) between room doors and carpet - means no sound insulation and light from hall.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Ekspertas,

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your comments. I regard guest feedback as one of the only ways to get a real feeling of the pulse of this hotel. Improvement and striving to the best is possible when people as you take the time to give us feedback.

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences during your stay in our hotel. I agree, without doubt that we, currently, have some challenges with the physical standards of the product.

We are constantly working on improvements, and certain parts of the hotel have been renovated already. A full refurbishment of 9th and 8th floors is taking place in 2014. We also have plans for further, more extensive renovation of the hotel rooms and other facilities in the near future.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences and, I really hope you will give us another chance to extend our hospitality to you. I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a higher room category on your next stay to show our possibilities and care. Please drop me a line when you decide to visit us again.

If there is anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me personally (mika.virtanen@radissonblu.com)

Sincerely Yours,

Mika Virtanen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, England
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in Feb '14 on a business trip. Ideally located, a short walk over the bridge into the picturesque old town. Very professional and helpful reception staff. Quick check in. Had a 'economic' room to the rear of the hotel - other rooms face the river. Room was ideal - and very decent size. Very clean. Hotel was not busy at all at this time of year so service had no reason to be anything other than good. Breakfast was standard American style buffet - OK but nothing special to report. Cheap local taxis always available outside the main entrance.
Generally, the old town is certainly delightful and worth a lok around - with great architecture - and very good value - but the other, more 'modern' parts of the city are a mix of soviet brutalism and 1990's concrete and glass.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are larger and more expensive. They'll try to sell you this upgrade...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Smilerkevin61.

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Blu we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Riga!

With kindest regards,

Malaga, Spain
Reviewed February 25, 2014

On arrival after a long flight from Malaga Spain. I introduced myself, was welcomed and then immediately asked if I wanted a room over looking city. I said I had requested this on my booking. I was then pitched for a extra 20 euros a night that I could move from a "very small room, economic at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden to a superior room!" The young lady behind then smiled expectantly " No ! I will not pay a extra 20 euros," Disappointed she carried on the booking process. "Down the corridor on the right is the Spa" Great I thought a nice swim and steam to relax! errrrr no the swimming pool was being renovated and the sauna wasn't working, I was shocked ! I had purposely booked the hotel for the view and leisure facilities. "Why didn't the web site say that the pool was closed" she said the manager had done it but something must have gone wrong,,,Well i asked if I could have a free upgrade to a superior room because all I have heard is negative ."Sir, do you intend to visit Riga on a regular time or is this your only visit. Because if you join our regular customer programme then I will give you a upgrade in the future" I was now a little hacked off. Clearly now down beat I made my way to my small room. On entering I squeezed my way into a time warp from 1991...! Pant peeling and cracking right across the ceiling dark damp spots in the corner, Torn curtains, Old first generation flat screen TV. I have another 2 days to go here but as I write this the Internet keeps closing down. It works perfectly at the front of the hotel in reception or the bar but for the poor people like me in the back of the hotel it is "Lump it or leave!" No problem I meeting a government minister tomorrow and I will express my "disappointment..".

Room Tip: Pay the extra 20 euros.......back rooms for poor people, Breakfast was good staff were friendly.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Mika V, General Manager at Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel, Riga, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Stevemdh.

On behalf of myself, managers, and staff of Radisson Blu Daugava Hotel I wish to thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention imperfection in quality which you experienced during your recent stay with us.

In regards to unsatisfactory experience mentioned in your review, I would like to convey my sincere apologies for this situation in which we did not succeed in providing you with the level of quality guest service typical in a hotel of our stature and fine reputation. I will personally meet with the Director of Rooms Division to discuss your comments and concerns.
As the hotel’s General Manager, I can assure you that we will do everything possible in order to ensure that our current and future guests don’t encounter situations similar to those which you experienced during your stay.

Otherwise, I would like to invite you to contact me personally (mika.virtanen@radissonblu.com) to discuss this with you and find the best possible solution for your next stay at our hotel. I do hope that we will have a second chance to prove to you that we are the hotel with the unique “Yes I Can “spirit.

Best regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel is perfect placed hotel with a fantastic view over the river Daugava. It´s easy to walk over the bridge and visit Old Town. The hotel it self has a very calm atmospher and all personal are friedly and kind. The service is perfect and you can easy get roomservice if you want. I can really recommend this hotel!

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had a quick business trip to Riga this week, and stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, the staff was really friendly and nice, and did all they can to help I had a suite on the 8th floor with a great view of the old city but the hotel itself was old furniture and decor of the room needs to be upgraded, the blankets on the bed are small and did not cover half of the queen size bed, the shower was old and hard to operate and nothing is within walking distance, for the price I paid for a room If I go back I will stay in a newer hotel in the old city or city center and probably pay less

Room Tip: the only good thing is the view so make sure you get a room with a view
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed February 14, 2014

This hotel was phenominal in every aspect of the sense. First let me tell you there are four Radisson Blu's in Riga. but only one with the view of thsi one with a great view of old Town in Riga, Latvia. It is the only one wiht a world Class gym, rackquetball court, sauna, and lap pool that is 24 M long. Actually this is the only one with a indoor pool at all. It only cost less than 4 Euros in a cab and you are in the center of town where everythign is at. It has a nice bar wonderful relaxing rooms, and great room service. This was abuisness trip but would most defintiely stay again on pleaseure next time. I have two mroe scheduled trips this Apring to Riga and will stay here again. Thank you so much Riga.

Room Tip: Try the local beer at the bar downstairs, very good. Riga, Latvia because iot is nto that big of a...
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for 3 days in March 2013. It was cold and ice everywhere outside in Riga. However, the temperature in the hotel was maintained very well. The view outside the hotel is superb and one enjoys it to his heart's content if he has discerning eyes for good photographs. The check-in and check-out experience was good, the restaurant was good with lot of choices for break-fast and dinner. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are a good choice
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business