Grand Palace Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsleading hotels of the worldglass ceilingold townmain bardeluxe roombusiness or pleasurefluent in englishperfect locationlovely roomsauna and steam roomwonderful staynon smokinghotel barlovely hotelquiet streetairport transferstar hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 18, 2009

The hotel gives a feeling of luxury when you enter - a nice foyer, posh bar, good restaurants. For Riga standards, it is way up there. But to be frank, a few points left me disappointed - I would expect more from a 5 start hotel. All in all, it's about a 4 rating (maybe a smidge less).

Upon arrival I had arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport - they should've been waiting with a card with our name. We arrived. Nobody. Apparently the person was there all along but without a name card and he was busy watching TV in the arrivals area. I suppose too busy to watch for arrivals. I ended up having to call the hotel - they called him, he was standing around the corner all along. Ridiculous...and a cause for a nervous start.

We got to the hotel, we checked in. Had reserved a deluxe room and when we got there, it was TINY. We asked again if it was a deluxe and they assured us it was. Something felt wrong and that evening, I called and asked whether what type our room was and they told us standard (the people at the desk changed). I knew it - I asked why after asking twice was I put in a standard room when I had reserved (and prepaid) a deluxe room. They were "sorry" but when we got the room - we had to move our own things from one room to the other and then go to the front desk and give them back the key to the first room. It was obscene. They didn't so anything to try to compensate but lesson learned: it is strongly advised to stay in a deluxe room if you are traveling with two. A standard double is good for a solo visitor - it is really small.

The rooms were clean, free internet, relatively quiet with a nice bathroom that was pretty clean as well.

The location of the hotel is fabulous - right in the center of old town and an easy walking distance to nearly anything you would like to see. Riga is much smaller than you'd imagine so this location really had everything (central) w/i a 15 minute walk. This is really one of the best attributes of this hotel. The other hotel we considered was Bergs and that one was also pretty central, but this one really is as central as they come!

Another episode in our 4 night stay was that the people in the room next to us got locked out. Apparently, the guest was in the room, had fallen asleep whilst locking the door from the inside and no one could get in from the outside. As there was a double door between the rooms (locked and only opened by mgmt), the management came to our room to get into the room next to us. Again, WE had to move all of our stuff (that is exactly the spot where the bag rack was standing), we had strangers going through our room - back and forth - and we weren't thanked for it nor did they try to make up the inconvenience in any way whatsoever. So if that was management, you get the workers.

However, to be fair, part of the reason I'm giving 3 for service and not less was that the people serving us in the breakfast room were fantastic. We had a waiter there, and I'm so sorry I don't remember his name - he deserved the credit, he remembered us, our preferences, and even asked if we wanted the same things we had ordered the days previous. He was giving us the level of service one would expect in a 5 star and "leading small hotel of the world" environment.

All in all, the bad didn't outweigh the good. The food was nice, the bar was cozy and a fun place to relax after a day of walking, the room was nice. Some of the service was shoddy. But some made up for the shortcomings of their colleagues. I think if I can get a better deal at the Bergs next time, I would be tempted to try that instead. Otherwise, they didn't scare me off and I would consider them one of the better places to stay when visiting Riga.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in April. The staff was wonderful. They helped us with anything we asked for. We had a junior suite. The room was lovely, but the bathroom could use some updating. The location was perfect.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Grand Palace Hotel is a great hotel with a perfect location in the old city center of Riga. The atmosphere is stately and classic. The service is accomodating and polite. People here behave distant however this is part of the local attitude. The rooms are elegant and spacious. Beds are not four seasons style however quite comfortable. Bathroom amenities are quite basic and could be improved. Breakfast is buffet style but not exceptional. Internet access is free of charge as it should be. The hotel is older and could use some redecoration however it is still a very pleasant place to be. Compared to other hotels I have visited in Riga, it is probably the best place in town. We could definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dtjan
Reviewed October 15, 2008

After making plans to visit Riga we checked best hotels and Trip Advisors reviews and decided to stay at Grand Palace Hotel.My wife and I spent 5 days in Riga which is quite fine for such a small and beatiful city and stayed at this hotel.It is located at the centre of the Old City , helpfull staff , nice room and very satisfactory breakfast. There were no self making tea or coffee facilities in the room however every night chocolate and drinking water have been served.Highly recommended small hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Omer M
Reviewed October 8, 2008

We just came back from a wonderful stay at Grand Palace Hotel. If you plan to go to Riga you must go here and be sure to not miss the hotel's own restaurant 'four seasons'. This is the most romantic restaurant I've ever been to and we were treated as royalty. The food was excellent and the live piano music wonderful. When the pianoplayer took a break they played Elton John and 'can you feel the love tonight' and other perfect songs for an absolutely perfect night. Every evening we got chocklad on our pillow and a bottle of water. We bought a package called romantic and honeymoon package which includes two nights stay, transport to and from the hotel, fresh flowers and a bottle of champagne in the room, and a three course dinner at the amazing restaurant. Every detail was perfect!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple