“Nothing special”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dokka, Norway
“Nothing special”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I will use the same phrase about Riviera as the former Minister of Finance, Mr. Atis Slakteris used in his interview with Bloomberg in 2008 about Latvian economy: Nasing spesal! (Nothing special). Riviera is the same - Nothing special. It is actually is quite average and not exciting.

Positive:
- Price level.
- Menu of the season. The chanterelles menu was interesting, and reflects Latvian products in a great way.
- Size of portions.

Negative:
- The service level. Kind and friendly waiter, but slow - so slow! I understand that the kitchen had a lot to do on a Saturday evening, but no need to use so long time to get us a beer.
- Maybe I am really spoiled, but the food I got at Riviera was not exciting at all. For main dish I had the Riviera grill mix, and most of the meat was overcooked. The barbecue sauce tasted a bit like a spicy tomato soup..

All in all I am surprised that Riviera is ranked to be the 6th best restaurant in Latvia. (Not by Tripadvisor though).

• Visited August 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Daruvar, Croatia
“wonderful place, not so good servece”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked lunches at this restaurant for eight persons for five days. Dishes were really delicious and beautifully arranged at the plates. Restaurant is pleasant although the terrace is too close to street. Staff was helpful, but service was really slow. We had to wait almost an hour for the starters, than again an hour for the main course and then some more time for dessert. Again, everything was booked in advance, and non of the dishes were hot when arrived at the table. After complaining, the next day was a bit faster, but still not fast enough. Our lunch break was supposed to be an hour, but we spent too much time at the lunch there. Vegetarians were offered the same meal - lasagnas, every day. For such highly rated restaurant wider selection of vegetarian dishes would be required.

Tallinn, Estonia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were large group visiting this restaurant.
Good mediterranean menu. Everything was well done and tasty. Great service. Friendly staff. Nice place.
Definitely recommend!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Santa T
Riga, Latvia
“Can we get Ramsay & Hell's Kitchen over here?”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visited this place for a Bday party celebration with my folks. To start on a high note, they have many things that we rated very good or excellent:
- nice outdoor seating, pleasant design;
- view can be considered as quite nice. Although you're facing a street, the Art Nouveau surrounding makes it quite enjoyable. Besides, the street itself is not that busy during evenings;
- if you get chilly, ask for a blanket - those are fantastic. Really warm and cozy. And the server puts it around you, not just handing you a folded piece of fabric - nice :)));
- food quality is really good. Besides, the price/portion size ratio is quite favourable for a restaurant this level (don't expect a half-pig portions, but it will be far away from "crumbles for birdies" as well);
- excellent variety of quality wines & other spirits;
- great coffee and non-alco coctails as well (highly recommend to try cucumber-basil one);
- staff is quite knowledgeable about the menu & wine card and able to make recommendations for your if having difficulties to pick;
- right now they have season's special chanterelle menu - fantastic risotto!!!

I would also highly recommend to get a reservation if you plan to go there for dinner. The place is located in rather popular area and considering the points I mentioned above - quite often is full.

Now on the negative which was a total spoiler to all good stuff mentioned above. Although I gave the staff a high rank for the knowledge of menu and wine card, the other side of the coin is pretty ugly. As we ordered our appetizers, main courses and drinks, we got the drinks quite fast and were already expecting the appetizer to arrive soon. Want to know the time? It took more than an hour to get our appetizers (1 hour and 12 minutes to be exact) to deliver appetizers (!!!). When it was about 40th minute running, the waiter was serving the table next to us, then turned to our table saying: "Your food is coming any minute now". In my assumption that should mean 5 minutes max. Still waiting. On 50th minute, we ate the last piece of bread (thanks they brought that one) and decided to go in a small shop around the corner to get couple of bananas. Because we were really starving around that time already (if we knew this was coming, we would have some food at home beforehand). THANKS, after all the waiting the food finally started to arrive. Returning back to the positive note - it was tasty, well plated and seasoned. But more than 1 hour waiting? C'mon! Shame this wasn't Hell's Kitchen episode as the team would definately thrown out for such a performance.

This is my second attempt to write a review. At first I gave an average grade because I thought that maybe our experience was not that good. However I cancelled that review and degraded the rating. The reason was my later discussion with one of the colleagues. It seems that the speed (or rather - the total lack of it) of service is somewhat a norm there. Because she was telling me all the same story written here - waited for ages to get the first course. The other time they didn't even bring the bread and were even surprised to hear that they wanted some on their table.

So the bottom line is - I give the place a round of applause for the quality of food, but if you decide to dine there, make sure that you don't come there on an empty stomach. Have at least a snack beforehand.

2 Thank FerFreak
Pennsylvania, USA
“What a peculiar place”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Came across this restaurant while looking for a bite to eat, staying at Hotel Albert in the neighborhood. It is very popular - outdoor area was fully booked and only a few seats inside. The menu is quite ambitious but what we had (soups, foie gras) was well done and quite tasty. What makes this a peculiar place is the service. Looking at other reviews, it appears this is a hit-or-miss proposition here. In our case, the waiter seemed very blase and really was absent most of the time. I get the sense that this place caters to the regulars. The tasty food really contrasted with the poor service. If you visit, do it for the food, as there is no assurance you will get the service that should correspond.