“What A Brunch Should Be”
Review of Biblioteka No1

Biblioteka No1
Ranked #24 of 1,015 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Sunday brunch at Biblioteka is exactly what a brunch should be; excellent food in a relaxed atmosphere with all the time in the world to sit and slowly enjoy both your food and company. By far the best brunch I've had in Latvia, and quite frankly it ranks up there with the best I've had world wide.

The food consists of brunch standards such as made to order pancakes and omelets, fresh fruit, prawns, pastries, weiss brat, etc, as well as sushi, fresh oysters on the half-shell, ceasar salad, and hot smoked salmon which shouldn't be missed!

While costing ls12 it's more expensive than the average Riga brunch, but it is by far the best value for money brunch that I've had in Riga. If you'd like a great brunch spend a bit extra and treat yourself to Biblioteka; the others pale in comparison.

There are newer reviews for Biblioteka No1

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The interior is nice and modern. Perhaps the best thing is the distance between the tables, no problem to keep the conversation private. The only downside was the sofas, I found them a bit too low for a really comfortable dining experience.
The menu is creative and varied, but perhaps a bit too pretentious. Limited choice for someone who does not like raw meat or seafood, game, fatty meat etc. There was no vegetarian dish among main courses either. I also expected the menu to be more Latvian, especially as the chef is looking rather critically for modern Latvian tastes in a TV show devoted to modern Latvian cuisine.
As to the wine list it consists of Italian names only, although the sommelier said they had some French and New World wines as well. The underlying problem with wines in Riga's restaurants is that they are way too overpriced. Bibliotēka no1 is no exception. A 10-15 euro bottle goes for 40-50 euro here. There was no indication on the wine list whether any wine can be ordered by glass.
I took goat cheese with basil sorbet for the starter. Perhaps it was not the best choice as in general I do not appreciate combination of sweet and salty. I found the sorbet too sweet for my taste. Garlic butter–fried lobster meat, sea scallop, tiger shrimps with a cauliflower purée that I took for the main course was delicious, although I would have cooked the scallop some 20-30 seconds longer. For the dessert I asked the waitress what would she recommend and her suggestion was Thai mango symphony consisting of cheese cream, pineapple gel, mango, meringue crumbs, mango sorbet. The dessert was 100% satisfaction!
All dishes were beautifully presented. There was a tiny "amuse bouche" offered at the beginning of the meal and delicious orange and sea-buckthorn foam (yes, foam! not a sorbet) before the main course. Service was kind and attentive, but not impeccable.
3 course dinner for 3 persons accompanied by a bottle of Lugana white wine was some 140 lati (~200 euro).

2  Thank mellene
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We knew nothing about this restaurant, but the location was great since we stayed at the Raddisson Elisabeta, just a three minute walk from Biblioteka No 1. We popped in early afternoon and booked our table for later that evening.

Immediataly, we found the interior and the restaurant very appealing and nice, and the waiters were friendly and attentive.

We chose to go for a three course meal; Foie gras crème brûlée for starters, entree: Argentinian fillet steak, potato mash with scallions, seared shallots and parsnip purée. At last we had "Conversion of CLC cheesecake" for dessert (marshmallow, cranberry sponge, meringue, chocolate cranberry gel, chocolate). We enjoyed a bottle of San Bernardo Dogliani Dolcetto DOCG 2006 with the fillet, as it was advised by the sommelier. A very good tip indeed!

We also got a small apetizer before the starter and a small, delicious sherbet before the dessert.

Enjoying ourselves very much, we stayed there and had a couple of cocktails after the meal.

All the food was exquisite, and the service was great! I'd love to come back here if I'm ever going back to Riga.

1  Thank Lars-GL
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The business lunch for 12 lats is a very good deal. The setting is magnificent and is very beautiful when it is snowing out. Staff are very professional. Tom yum is very good, gnocchi and beef tenderloin also excellent. We liked the food so much we ate lunch here twice.

Things to improve - there is only a vegetarian main course, the starters all are non vegetarian in the business lunch. For dinner, there is no vegetarian main course; Vincent's and Bergs have vegetarian main courses for dinner.

2  Thank Haghpat_armenia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

A very modern and high class restaurant. Nice design, location and atmosphere. Professional waiters and very polite sommelier (even though he spilled a little of wine on my trousers). Food could be slightly better, but it was on the level. Starters good, main course a little less. Recommended for business meetings.

1  Thank Erno R