“Temporarily closed”
Review of The Kitchen - CLOSED

The Kitchen
Cuisines: Contemporary
Description: tel: (+371) 20272827; info@restaurantkitchen.lv; This is a really progressive up-and-coming place, opened 6 weeks ago, positioned to become a new star of modern latvian cuisine. Located in a formerly run-down industrial area called Spiferi, it has a young international-Latvian chef that does a very short and specific menu that changes every 2 months. It really needs to be included in TripAdvisor.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was there in the middle of Feb. and there was a sign saying it was temporarily closed due to construction in Spikeri. The sign did not say when it was expected to reopen, only to try HOT'E or Garage, their other restaurants.

I wish I could submit my review without giving it a rating, since I just want to say it is temporarily closed, but since I am forced to give a rating I will give one circle because it is temporarily closed with no mention of when it is expected to reopen.

2  Thank sigulda158

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've heard good before, both about the restaurant and the area (in transformation from not so nice to creative with docklands as the role model). Finding the restaurant was not straight forward, located behind other buildings but overall the location is ok.

The restaurant looks really nice. Modern style in black and grey with the lamps as the little extra. The restaurant was absolutely empty when we were there, which is not that uncommon dining out in Riga. But since the restaurant was empty you really could have hoped for better service and more attention.

The menu looked very good, prices was definitely ok (3 courses for two persons + bottle of wine for about 40 lats). The quality of the food was however not that good. It felt overall as something you would cook at home. Overall a very average experience (except for the desert which was absolutely perfect).

Reviewed September 8, 2012

The Kitchen is a good restaurant in the developing Spikeri district. Interesting food, pleasant service, mostly.
I was a bit annoyed by the owners/managers who seemed to be selling a private booking, wandering around the room, measuring things. It was a bit of a distraction, but probably won't be a problem most meals.
The bread is great.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Kitchen web site looked attractive and the menu interesting yet reasonably priced, so we booked a table for Friday evening in August. We needn't have bothered as we were the only customers at Kitchen. All the more reason for them to get the food right!

Our charming waitress, who spoke excellent English, misheard one of our starters and brought me a leaf salad instead of a Cesar salad. When I queried this, she offered to replace it but i declined that, and so she kindly topped up our wine glasses foc.

My partner and I both chose the duck on risotto with truffle sauce. It could have been great but .. It was served on cold plates, and the sauce was cold .. It was congealing by the time I finished the dish. The duck was cooked medium (i prefer medium rare but we weren't asked).

The final disappointment was the pannacotta which had the texture of blancmange .. Far too gelatinous. The strawberry coulis however was fresh and very nice.

Overall 42lats incl 3 glasses of wine was good value .. It could have been a great meal with a little more care. And a great atmosphere if there were a few more customers!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Good food in a cool, industrial artsy-complex. Their complimentary bread is fantastic start and really sets the tone for a great meal.

1  Thank travelfiend_12