“Be ready for a fitness tour!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Riga Free Tour

Riga Free Tour
Ranked #1 of 69 Tours in Riga
More attraction details
Owner description: Starts at 12:00 Every day, in front of St Peters church. Look for the Yellow suitcase! Riga Free Tour is a chance for you to see areas such as the Moscow District, Riga Central District, Market area and much more. Escape the touristic Old town and hear stories about our city that will change your impression of Riga! IMPORTANT to know: Riga free tour is not running 25th December and 1st of January, but any other day - come and join!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Be ready for a fitness tour!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Overall, this is a fantastic project and I greatly appreciate the enthusiasm of the organisers to offer this alternative to the normal tours. Even more so, it was a real pity that the guide, Krista, was not letting time to see any of the sights left and right, let alone take pictures.
She had warned at the beginning that it would be a long walk and "a fitness tour", which was not the problem in itself. But with a group of over 30 people it is just very hard to keep up if the guide runs ahead through crowded streets or a big market without giving a meeting point or next stop. So we ended up always trying not to lose sight of her or other participants that were spreading out over almost 25-30 meters, instead of taking in "the parts of Riga that tourists don't usually see". Well sorry: we may have been there, but did not have time to see much...

Yes, it's a free tour, but I was ready to pay as for any other tour. However, at the end I felt I had wasted half a day, still lacking the new views that I had come to expect after the raving feedbacks.
So: either come back for more if you have the time or pay for an individual tour. After 2,5 hrs the tour ended in a completely different part of the town, and having to treck back to the city centre we spent overall 3 hrs.

Visited December 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“These guys know tours. ”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

This was the second of 3 free tours on our trip. It blew us away. Guide, Angeles, was a wealth of local knowledge both about the tour, and many other hidden secrets in the town and region. We cannot thank him enough for this tour as we fell in love with Riga and almost extended our stay. Instead we have vowed to return! You cannot visit Riga without doing this tour. And please, respect that these guys love what they do, and yes it's free, bit still tip the guide and be fair as these free tours often are much better than many actual paid tours! Thanks again yellow suitcase!!!

Knighton, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Confirmed with them on Facebook that they would be touring on 24th December and along with 5 others was disappointed when no guide showed up! (only point in their favour was that on my return to England they had messaged me on the morning of the 24th to say it was off)
Tried again on the 26th - this time 7 others were waiting but still no yellow suitcase!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank shorttriptraveller
Kilmar
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Interesting and Informative”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We were lucky with the weather - nice crisp day, ideal for walking. Our tour guide took us away from the Old Town (which you can easily do yourself) and into the more adventurous area of the old docks and marlets and the Jewish Quarter. Very interesting, worthwhile excursion - lots of facts which were quite personal to the town and its history. Highly recommended whether on a one day or longer visit. Optional donation at end.

Visited October 2013
Prague, Czech Republic
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Tour!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was genuinely impressed by the free tour these guys did. My guide was Angeles and he took us outside of the old town where most of the normal tourist attraction sort of stuff is (I can find this easily myself...) and into areas of Riga I would never have found myself, including the Russian district. Angeles was funny, factual and interesting to listen to and speak with afterwards. I would recommend this to anyone who doesnt just want to see what every guide book wants you to see and hear but who wants something a bit more real. I really enjoyed the tour, thanks a lot :)

Visited November 2013