“Come for the food, but don't be the last clients.”
Review of PROVINCE

PROVINCE
Ranked #17 of 983 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Latvian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: PROVINCE is a nice place, where to get to know the traditional Latvian cuisine.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Come for the food, but don't be the last clients.”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went there following an advice from a guy we met the day before.
We ask for tap water, nope, they don't give tap water (no problem in France).
I order bottled water. We're two. Only one glass is brought to the table. Uhh...
The main courses arrive before having finished the cheese plate starter (good cheese BTW).  Either the waitress is in a bad mood, or the staff wants to go and they can't because we're here.
The main courses were tasty, well dressed.
At some point I had finished, not my friend. Waitress comes and asks if we have finished. Can't she check the contents of the plate ??
We didn't want to have a dessert. My friend orders a coffee. Waitress comes and takes away my unfinished water bottle. What the...?? I paid for it !!
A girl cook comes and starts to laugh ostensibly with the waitress, looking in our direction. I know what it means, even though I don't speak Latvian.
Then, just when we thought we'd seen it all, nope, the boss (or whoever she was) turns off the light above our table, and the waitress puts on some techno in place of the ambient music that had been going on throughout the 1 hour that we spent there (hardly a lengthy stay).
I mean, if they didn't want to serve us at 9:30PM, they should just have told us to go somewhere else... But pressuring us to speed up is unacceptable.
Too bad because, I repeat, the food is really nice.

1 Thank Hutfield

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sandbach
“Good value”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sound local dishes, beef strog tasty, reasonable value. Staff friendly with good English. Easy to find.

Visited February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tourist oriented -”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

But that's no bad thing. While many restaurants do the 'international middle of the road' menu, at least here you can get regional dishes, all quite hearty and served in a dark wood, cosy atmosphere.

If you REALLY like garlic, have the garlic rye-bread starter - it was particularly welcome on a cold night.

Bear in mind that the place next door and Salve on the Square opposite are all in the same ownership, and ring the changes on much the same menu items - although Salve looks to be a bit more luxurious in it's furnishing and finishes.

• Visited February 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Wonderful dining experience”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were going to go to 1221 because it was close to our hotel (Justus), but we found their menu too expensive. We decided to go to province because of the reviews and we walked by and it looked nice. We were very pleased. Decor was wonderful old Latvian farm feeling. Food was great, with the sauerkraut soup and pork bowl being the best liked but no complaints anywhere. Also highly recommend the Latvian drink tasting menu (4 shots of local liquor with coffee and water for 5 Lats)! I'm sure there are better restaurants in Riga but only if u are willing to pay the high prices, definitely cozy and fun little gem.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A find”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'm looking for a typical Latvian restaurant - found it! Excellent - good advice on beer, hearty warming food, great service.