“Excellent Baltic Restaurant”

Cuisines: Latvian
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2014

First of all TripAdvisor does seem to have the address for this restaurant wrong - it is located at Kungu Iela 2 rather than Kaļķu Iela 2. Secondly they serve more than just Latvian cuisine - they are a Baltic restaurant serving Lithuanian and Estonian cuisine as well; the menus helpfully inform patrons where each dish originates from.

Our group originally intended to visit the next door "Province" restaurant, advertised specifically as Latvian cuisine; however they were fully booked and recommended us visit here. We were certainly glad that we did!

Food was of reasonable price and excellent quality. A cheese platter starter for me which was superb - as well as a pasta main course with a traditional Baltic accompaniment. Friends enjoyed their zeppelin dumplings as well as various other dishes. Staff are friendly and the restaurant also offer a service for your waiter to take a photo of your group, and provided with an email address they will send it to you free of charge. An excellent meal at a great traditional restaurant, I would certainly return.

One small complaint however; don't buy liqueurs after your meal. They are in small portions compared to the price and several of them were not the "traditional" liqueurs (aside from the Riga Black Balsam) but rather a modern adaption of them.

1  Thank GandalfTheDrunk

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Had fish starter - range of fish - herring, salmon, sprats - really yummy - served with range of breads
Then had homemade sausages with chips and a side of grilled vegetables - again - excellent (although much smaller portion of grilled vegetables on 2nd visit!)
Excellent local beers too!
Probably quite expensive for Riga, but definitely worth it!

1  Thank F B
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I certainly seem to be in a minority here but can only speak as I find. I ordered spare ribs which were very small in any case. Worse still, they were mainly fat leaving only a couple of mouthfuls of meat. When the waitress came to clear the plate I commented that the ribs were mainly fat. It was then that she made things worse by trying to excuse it. The first being that they are pork and that's always the case. I replied that it's not at all. (I regularly eat ribs with no fat). The next excuse was amazingly that' it's best to eat them fast!! Now I was getting a little irritated and said that I would have had more meat eating at McDonalds. It would have softened the blow somewhat if she'd said she was sorry that I hadn't enjoyed the meal, maybe you would like a complimentary drink or a dessert on the house. This wasn't something I was angling for but it would at least have been a gesture once she'd seen the pile of fat at the side of my plate. I left the place annoyed and starving too.

2  Thank PeterDane
Reviewed March 22, 2014

If you want to try authentic Latvian cuisine at a reasonable price this place should be on your list. It is right in the centre of old town. Small with multi lingual staff and good friendly service.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Wanted to go to a local Riga restaurant and we found this one turned out to be a treat. I had the home made sausage and my wife had a Zeppelin (meat wrapped in bread) and they were both excellent.

The staff were very attentive and the bill at the end was very reasonable.