“Best Meal in Riga”

Ranked #26 of 1,003 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: European, Fusion, Latvian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: "1221" Is located in the Old Town of Riga, in the historical significance near of Dome churches. From both the summer terrace you can see the beautiful view roofs of the city & the excellent dome of the cathedral. "1221" Is a high class restaurant with exclusive European cuisine & chic collection of wines. You can find very interesting dishes in menu such as Veal tails stewed in red wine or Ragout of beaver meat marinated in champagne. In any case you'll be delighted by this restaurant. Our restaurant is a local place that fundametally different from tourist places of Riga. Please, book a table in advance.
Morristown, New Jersey
“Best Meal in Riga”
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try 1221 because we were staying across the street to Neiburg's and it looked cute. The interior is great because it shows what these old houses are like from the inside. The menu is amazing with many (to us) exotic choices such as reindeer, beaver, horse, pheasant, and pigeon but also more standard fare. Everything we ate was delicious, and the service was warm and attentive. I had the chicken breast and my husband had the pike perch fillet, both great. I had the celeriac soup which was a delicious choice. Dessert was beautifully served -- homemade pumpkin seed ice cream -- and yummy. This is a restaurant in which everything is hand crafted to a superior level for any European city.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Charming place and excellent food”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

A must try when in the Old City - a super charming exterior immeidiately beckoned us to try the place, and we were very pleasently surprised thinking it would be rather a tourist trap. The food was perfect, staff very pleasant, and sitting outside was a perfect spot for people watching.

• Visited June 2013
“Excellent cuisine in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

In Riga on business, staying in the Old Town and was looking for somewhere to eat. Have tried a variety of places (mostly great) but hit upon 1221 after reading reviews on TA. What can I say? Amazing setting. Really beautifully decorated and laid out restaurant. Fantastic staff that made me feel very welcome (unlike another highly rated local place that turned me away as I was on my own!) and the food was fantastic. I like to try local food, or things I've not encountered before, so decided to start with the beaver salad..which was beautiful and light. Had 1 lead shot, but hey, that's fresh, wild, hunter caught food for you! I followed it with fillets of zander which was really nicely presented and tasted great. I don't do desert but the couple of glasses of chianti and a double espresso went down very nicely. Cannot say enough nice things about this restaurant and will definitely be back to sample more from the menu on future visits to this wonderful city.

• Visited April 2014
Dublin
“This may be the nicest restaurant I have ever been to”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I visited this restaurant with my boyfriend and we were so impressed. I had steak which was delicious, cooked perfectly, with asparagus and a small ramekin of the most delicious potato gratin I have ever had. My boyfriends duck was also amazing. Without a doubt thus was the best restaurant we tried in Riga. Friendly service. It is expensive but worth the money

• Visited March 2014
Eidsvoll Municipality, Norway
“Very Cozy! Great choice for dinner.”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We had dinner here on a Friday night- off season. We didn't have a reservation, and it was moderately busy, but we were able to get a nice table upstairs. I recommend the chestnut soup off the starter menu (you could make that you meal actually) it was so rich and flavorful with an appealing consistency. I rarely get excited about the complimentary bread baskets at restaurants, and often don't even touch it, but their brown bread is fantastic! I also had the lobster with saffron pasta which was nice, but sort of a strange combination as the saffron overpowered the other flavors (I love saffron so that wasn't really a problem for me, but objectively perhaps a negative for some). Our server displayed good wine knowledge and provided us with attentive, friendly service. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited February 2014