“Warm, inviting and tasty”

Lidojosa Varde The Flying Frog
Ranked #31 of 1,013 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located close to several embassies in Riga, this restaurant is a popular place among locals and expats.
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Went here on the basis of the TA reviews, and because it was close to my hotel. It was listed under the 'pizza' category on TA, which is interesting, since I didn't see pizza on the menu.

It was cold, dark and damp outside (seems to be a theme in Riga), but the Frog was warm and welcoming. I was greeted and given a choice of tables. My beer and the most amazing garlic bread arrived quickly and with a smile. The caramelized pork with vegetable and rice was never going to win any culinary awards, but it was hot and tasty, and filled the need. With a second beer, the whole meal was under 13 lats, which seems like a bargain to me.

There are newer reviews for Lidojosa Varde The Flying Frog

Reviewed October 11, 2012

A delightful decor of frogs everywhere...green frogs, big frogs, flying frogs, cute frogs, ugly frogs, and funny frogs. GREAT garlic bread, an "almost American" hamburger, good goulash, and excellent beer. A must menu for any visitor or local...

1  Thank eralogos
Reviewed September 27, 2012

On a cold evening, the outside tables were populated by a few hardy folk with blannkets supplied by the restaurant.
We ate inside, where the basement restaurant is in the style of a cellar but very well equipped and modern in style.
The bar was busy, and later filled with diners as the outisde tables became less inviting in the cold, and the other two sections were also busy throughout our time at the restaurant.
The menu was multi-language, the food was excellent and the service charming and well-timed.
Latvia has a "Slow food" movement dedicated to combatting the march of fast food chains, but this corner site restaurant has set itself between the two.
Our bill for two mains, two soft drinks, and one delicious dessert was around £12.00

Reviewed September 25, 2012

As other reviewers have noted, this restaurant looks quite attractive -- it was full on the Saturday night that I visited after a few hours wandering through Riga's Art Deco neighborhood. And despite a "tourist friendly" sign near the door, everyone sitting near me was local.

When I placed my order, the waitress warned me that it might take some time for my entree and suggested a salad to tide me over, which I appreciated. When my food arrived, the results were mixed -- an absolutely fantastic piece of pork but unappetizing sides.

I couldn't recommend it for your main meal of the day, but as a place to enjoy a beer and a light bit when you're in the area, I think it's a good choice.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We went to "The Flying Frog" restaurant for dinner as this was close to our hotel, and as the menu did look interesting. We was not to impressed with the attitude shown by the staff at the entrance, but did never the less to give it a try. We was given a free choice of seating area downstairs and did choose to sit next to the bar. The food was nice, and the portions generous and the staff managed to get three out of four orders correct. The staff later insisted that our friend's finger was pointing at the dish she got. But no problems, she did not have any problems eating the dish she got. We may return to this restaurant, but will make sure they get the order correct.