“Not as good as expected”

Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel
Ranked #34 of 111 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here just for one night after flying into Riga late.
I stayed in double room on the third floor which was cramped and uncomfortable. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned, the rubbish bin in bathroom was full to the top. The bath mat was wet, obviously someone had been in there before I arrived. But because I was too tired after my long trip from New Zealand I couldn't be bothered to go down to the reception and complain, I wish I had though.
I checked out next day. The checking out experience was very, very poor. There were three receptionists at front desk but only one of them seemed to be doing something. When I approached one of them she told me to wait and started dialing phone. She was on the phone for more than five minutes while I was standing and waiting - all I needed to do was to return my key cause I had prepaid my room.
i was very disappointed and I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Do not choose a standard double room - they are tiny and uncomfortable even for one person
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alma A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

It was nice, clean and comfortable with helpfull staff, the cleaning personal is not good in english though. Very good breakfast buffet with champagne and vodka included as well as good coffee and local pastries.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maija P
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Despite being relatively new, this hotel has a genteel charm and a peaceful ambience. Excellent food - though the restaurant is quite expensive - with an enormous buffet breakfast.
Ideal situation for the Old Town and metres from a tram stop.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank david4848
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Comfortable hotel situated in the south west corner of the old town, 5 minutes from most things, clean hotel with very friendly staff and a good breakfast, no complaints and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel is an old refurbished hotel and a lot of he rooms are a little small so if you want a lit...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tomayre
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I arrived at the hotel around 11:30 and had to wait until 1:30 to get into my room but they were able to keep my suitcase in the storage room. The staff was helpful in arranging a taxi for my early morning trip back to the airport but I was unfortunately too early to enjoy my free breakfast. The hotel was very close to the train station and Town Square Hall along with the rest of Old Riga which was great! My room was very small but very clean and cozy. One thing that wasn't so convenient, however, were the thin walls as I could hear my neighbour moving around and people talking in the hallways late in the evening. I also would not recommend the spa as my masseuse was lovely and well priced but she talked a lot and didn't seem like she knew exactly what she was doing - especially with the foot massage. Overall a great place to stay that I would recommend to anyone staying in Riga!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived at hotel 2 hours early, but the room was ready and we were surprised of how nice the reception and public areas were! The room was a bit small, but pretty, clean and had everything you could need ( kettle, toiletries, sewing kit, snacks, mini-bar, ironing board, heater, even- umbrella). As we only stayed for one night, the size was not an issue. We had dinner in the downstairs restaurant and it was delicious! As well as great price-the bill for 2 meals and 3 drinks was about 14 Lats. However, afterwards we realised that waitress must have kept the change as tip :). Breakfast had lots of choices, anything from cereal to chicken and rice and shots of alcoholic drinks! Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout the stay and even let my brother to use hotel's phone to ring our room when he arrived to collect us! The hotel is very close to both coach station and old town, but it appeared that few nearest buildings were empty and not looked after. Overall- great place and value for money and would recommend it to other travelers!

Room Tip: If staying for a few days, may want to book a bigger room, as standard was not very big.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sulavesi
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This Hotel is realy good. Not luxury, but good enough. I was with 2 friends. This hotel is in the best place, in the center, close for everything. I envoy my days in that city, and in that hotel. Realy good

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends