“Nice comfortable hotel in Riga's old town”

Rixwell Old Riga Palace Hotel
Ranked #32 of 110 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Comfortable hotel situated in the south west corner of the old town, 5 minutes from most things, clean hotel with very friendly staff and a good breakfast, no complaints and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel is an old refurbished hotel and a lot of he rooms are a little small so if you want a lit...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tomayre

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I arrived at the hotel around 11:30 and had to wait until 1:30 to get into my room but they were able to keep my suitcase in the storage room. The staff was helpful in arranging a taxi for my early morning trip back to the airport but I was unfortunately too early to enjoy my free breakfast. The hotel was very close to the train station and Town Square Hall along with the rest of Old Riga which was great! My room was very small but very clean and cozy. One thing that wasn't so convenient, however, were the thin walls as I could hear my neighbour moving around and people talking in the hallways late in the evening. I also would not recommend the spa as my masseuse was lovely and well priced but she talked a lot and didn't seem like she knew exactly what she was doing - especially with the foot massage. Overall a great place to stay that I would recommend to anyone staying in Riga!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived at hotel 2 hours early, but the room was ready and we were surprised of how nice the reception and public areas were! The room was a bit small, but pretty, clean and had everything you could need ( kettle, toiletries, sewing kit, snacks, mini-bar, ironing board, heater, even- umbrella). As we only stayed for one night, the size was not an issue. We had dinner in the downstairs restaurant and it was delicious! As well as great price-the bill for 2 meals and 3 drinks was about 14 Lats. However, afterwards we realised that waitress must have kept the change as tip :). Breakfast had lots of choices, anything from cereal to chicken and rice and shots of alcoholic drinks! Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful throughout the stay and even let my brother to use hotel's phone to ring our room when he arrived to collect us! The hotel is very close to both coach station and old town, but it appeared that few nearest buildings were empty and not looked after. Overall- great place and value for money and would recommend it to other travelers!

Room Tip: If staying for a few days, may want to book a bigger room, as standard was not very big.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sulavesi
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This Hotel is realy good. Not luxury, but good enough. I was with 2 friends. This hotel is in the best place, in the center, close for everything. I envoy my days in that city, and in that hotel. Realy good

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Our stay at the Old Riga Palace was filled with flaws. For starter the room we booked a standard room after reading the reviews on TA with the description it sounded ok. However the standard room is only a fraction larger than the economy room. There is virtually no storage space for luggage, therefore if you have anything larger than a small weekend bag you will trip on it for the duration of your stay. Then there was the shower--small isn't adequate to describe it. Neither of us are large people and, for example, I couldn't get my arms up easily to wash my hair. In additon each time we used it no matter how hard we tried the floor flooded and the bathroom drain didn't work. Now the parking -the website says a parking reservation is necessary. I wrote ahead and was told there was secure parking an no reservation was needed. Well the secure parking offered was an open lot with a trailer and attendent. We were promised it was secure. When we arrived at our car on the day of departure we found the mirror on the drivers side had been stolen. I requested the manager come out to assist us. It took repeated visits into the hotel to speak to the manager who said she was at a meeting and unavailable initially . Her attitude was they called the police and lot manager and there was nothing else she could do. the parking lot folks were helpful, but the manager didn't speak English so there was no way to communicate. We needed assistance in Latvian to locate a dealer and get directions. The manager finally came out and did assist, but not without pressure. It seems they have the garage for a limited number of cars and use the outdoor lot for overflow. Once we determined there was a dealer with a part we left, the police never arrived and I have no idea what they we going to do to help the situation.
As far as favorable points the ventilation system works well in the room, we were able to keep the windows closed so the room was quiet and the breakfast is very nice. Also the location is fine a short walk to the old town and although the area has not been totally rehabilitated it felt safe. \
Otherwise be aware of the room size, shower and parking issues--nothing is luxury about the hotel .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wks
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had an economy twin room. The room was small but well planned. Also the bathroom was O.K. except for the shower. If you are XL or XXL of size, you want fit into it.
The buffee breakfast is very good including sparkling wine and snaps. If you are by car, the hotel offers you a parking in the garage on the opposite side of the street, to a decent price.

Room Tip: If you choose an economy room, please be aware that the shower is very small. Hard to even get in.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very nice and clean and well renovated hotel in old style in the middle of the city. Friendly staff, perfect breakfast, wi-fi and etc. recommend for all! I was surprised. Prices are also good!
They are freely speaking english, russian languages and kindly try to solve all issues raised.
P.S. They do not have parking but they use the next house with underground garage for they puprose (not cheap but 100% safe).
P.P.S. The only minus - not easy to come to them by car - city center is small and like labyrinth.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family