“No longer welcome, despite dining before it was "cool"”
Review of Domini Canes

Domini Canes
Ranked #19 of 1,091 Restaurants in Riga
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Having eaten in Domini Canes a few years ago, before it became so widely recognised on TA, I was looking forward to a return visit. Knowing it has become popular, even on a quiet Wednesday night in April, I phoned ahead and booked a table. I was very clear on the phone that I would be alone and they accepted the reservation. However when I arrived at the alloted time I was greeted at the door by the most rude and condescending waiter i've encountered in years of travel and dining. Despite my reservation and the restaurant being 75% empty I was apparently not welcome as I was on my own! Was told in frosty terms that they were fully booked, despite my name being on their booking sheet! The staff were a little arrogant before but I've never experienced this level of rudeness from what is a quite small venue. I will never return, on my own or with a party, and would suggest others to avoid this place like the plague. There are much better restaurants in the vicinity (1221 for example) where the food is better, the prices more reasonable and the staff no so blatantly up themselves.

4  Thank Ugnuts
Write a ReviewReviews (1,738)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

The restaurant is nicely located in Old Riga. It is better to book a table as the the number of tables is limited (less than 8). The service is professional, but could be more friendly. The food is a mix of typical Eastern Europe dishes (soups, roasted duck) and Italian cuisine (pasta). My soup was delicious, the tagliatelli with seafood had an excess of cream. I recommend the desserts. Excellent ratio quality to price (70 euros, full meal for 2, including a good Chilean wine).

Reviewed March 25, 2014

When I say it was the best restaurant I tried in Riga have to say most of the others left something to be desired. I went twice and had a perfectly cooked steak both times. I also had the apple pie (which was more like a tart really) and that was absolutely delicious.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had a wonderful evening meal here, really interesting fresh food combinations, superbly cooked and presented. The service was first class with a cosy atmosphere, but with so few tables booking is highly recommended. Bill for two including three glasses of wine about 70 euros plus tip.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife and I asked at our hotel for a recommendation for a nice dinner and they sent us to Domini Canes which was only two hundred metres away. We enjoyed the meal, starters two glasses of wine each, a whiskey, two mains and dessert. The tab came to 72Euros. Service was friendly and efficient too with multi-lingual staff. I can recommend it.