“nice restaurant”
Review of Salve

Salve
Ranked #27 of 1,051 Restaurants in Riga
Cuisines: Latvian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: "Salve" - a restaurant that represents Riga city cuisine There's no better way to express the uniqueness of the people, its habits and tastes than through national cuisine. Restaurant Salve offers a taste of traditional Latvian cuisine in an elegant city manner. Restaurant Salve, which is located in the historic Blue Guard House which is part of the complex of the House of Blackheads on the Town Hall Square - the heart of Old Riga - is the right place to look for exquisite cuisine and enjoy the specialties of the capital. We offer to appraise the elegant and at the same time cozy atmosphere of the restaurant with a fine Dutch style interior to all citizens of Riga and its guests. Internationally trained chefs and waiters guarantee exquisite food flavor and high service standards. In Latin, "Salve" means - "Welcome!" Which excellently reflects the essence of the restaurant, as each guest is gladly welcome there.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

very nice place in old town. Interior is very cozy, food is mostly local - very tasty. Good balance between price and quality.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Having seen good review on here we went for our last night in Riga.
Positives: Easy to find, nice welcome with a complimentary appetiser. The food was interesting, served promptly and tasty. Possibly too much horseradish is you are not a fan but it was easy to remove. Can recommend the pig's ear, pork knuckle and chicken dumplings. The warm blackcurrant balsam is a nice way to finish the meal.
Negatives: after 30 minutes we were the only people in there which meant the atmosphere was lacking. Also they started loudly drilling plant pots to the side board by our head and then around the rest of the restaurant which seemed very unprofessional. At the end it was made very clear that they were waiting for us to finish, hovering and pointed looks etc.
So, maybe go on a night when there are more people in and you are unlikely to be treated as unwelcome guests!

1  Thank Prague08
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Very nice food at reasonable prices in a very friendly and cosy athmosphere. For a starter you have to try the herring tartare. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went to Salve for a late lunch today (08/01/13) while looking round the old town. It was very quiet with only 3 other tables, but the atmosphere was nice.

The service was excellent - cannot fault it at all... very friendly and attentive. We were presented with mini tartlets of marinated herring as a pre-starter. These were lovely! The pastry was very well made, and the fish was not too overpowering (which I find is often easily done in the Baltic/Nordic cuisine). To start we shared the pigs ear with sour cabbage and a horseradish cream/quinelle on top. It was really nice - very well presented and quite strong flavours. I didn't need to add any salt, which is a rarity for me! There was far too much horseradish, but this was easily moved to the side.

For the main course, my partner had pork fillet with a porcini sauce and mashed potatoes and I had marinated salmon with vegetables (and a cheeky side portion of chips).

The pork was cooked nicely and the potato was decent. I thought the sauce was very nice, as did my partner - however she did comment that it had a slight "spinachy" taste to it. My salmon was marinated in a lovely mix of herbs and spices with a bit of lemon, and cooked so the skin was very crispy! I would say it was slightly over-cooked, but I didn't specify how I wanted it, and I've found that I do tend to like my meat and fish slightly less done than most.

We also had a few coffees - which was the best weve had in a long time, and served with little ginger biscuits.

The total cost for the above, plus a bit of water was around 25 Lats - very reasonable for the quality. Overall a great experience and I would definitely go again, however next time I will specify for my meat/fish to be slightly less cooked than usual.

(Oh, and the chips were great too!)

3  Thank Le_SigNagE
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is a great restaurant by the House of the Blackheads. The food was lovely, very yummy, at a reasonable price. Friendly waiters and a cosy restaurant. A fantastic Latvian experience.