“Good food and decent value but could improve a bit in areas”
Review of Pizza Malibu - CLOSED

Pizza Malibu
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2012

So, I’m giving this place a 4 rating but my 3 visits there were decidedly different, so I will summarize each:

1st night: arrived and checked into hotel, was starving even though I just had a short flight from Tallinn. This was the first place on my list that I came across so I ventured in. It was about 5pm so the place was really not that busy at all. Good for me… or so I thought. I sat outside… maybe ½ o the tables were occupies at most. Firstly, it took over 30 minutes for the waitress to take my order. OK, I know this is Europe and I expect a lesser degree of service but this was ridiculous to me, especially considering that they were not busy but appeared to have plenty of staff on duty. So finally I tell the waitress that I want a pizza with just ham on it. Well, this place has quite a selection of pizzas with exotic topping combos, which is great, but it took almost 5 minutes to get me what I wanted… some Hawaiian variation hold everything but the ham lol… just seemed ridiculous to me. The wait for the food was average I guess but unfortunately, so was the pizza. Probably the 2nd worst pizza out of about 10 I tasted on the trip. Just not tasty, crust was week, not very much cheese. Not horribly priced from recollection but not worth whatever I paid. Overall rating for this visit: 2.5/5

2nd night: despite less than stellar first visit, I decided to try again as I was in the mood for a mixed grill dinner and they had the most appealing looking/best priced offering in the area. This time, it was later so much more crowded outside. I opted for indoor seating even though it was a bit hot, because I know that sitting outside in crowds in Europe means breathing in disgusting cigarette smoke throughout your entire meal. Well, not sure if this was why but my service was significantly better this night! In fact, probably the most prompt and courteous of my entire 2 weeks in Northern Europe on this trip! My order was taken promptly and the food came quite fast… probably had my meal in front of me 15-20 after sitting down! And, this meal was significantly better that the pizza I had the night before. It included grilled chicken, pork, ham & steak! Only the ham was not great (but edible) but the other 3 meats and grilled potatoes were excellent! I also discovered that I could order a .5 litre draft soda for 1.1 Lats, as opposed to two .25 litre bottles for 1 Lat each, so saved some money there. A truly great meal and although a bit pricey at 20 Lats (about $35 US) I still thought a good value considering the location and quality of food. Overall rating for this visit: 4.5+/5

3rd night: repeating exactly the same procedure as previous night in hopes of repeating results but this was not to be the case. The wait was a bit longer but not horrible. When my drink arrived, the waiter announced I would get 2 bottles instead of the 1 large glass. OK with me I guess, assuming they would obviously just charge me for the 1.1 Lat glass. The meal took longer to arrive than previous night but again, not beyond reason. Unfortunately, when it did, it didn’t quite resemble the great dish I had received the previous night. The steak and chicken were similar but it was a different cut of pork that was not quite as tasty and the ham was very fatty… about 50% inedible. Also, instead of the great grilled potatoes I received the night before, this time the meal arrived with French Fries. Definitely a bit disappointed compared to the night before but it was still good for the most part. When the bill arrived, I found that they had charged me for the 2 bottles instead of the 1 glass I had ordered but at that point, I wasn’t going to complain about a $1 mistake. Overall rating for this visit: 3.75/5

So, in conclusion I would say that this place has great potential. A very large and diverse menu and at least the possibility for great quality food… if they could improve their consistency in food and overall service just a bit, it would be close to a 5 rating for me.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

What i liked about this place is that i could take my friends from uk here and all staff starting from host that welcomed us at the entrance up to the waiter and bartender spoke good english, so we could worry not about the comm problems :)
The choice of dishes in the menu kinda surprised me, they had much more than only pizzas - national main courses and soups, all kinds of salads and desserts etc. Cocktail menu was ok, almost everybody could find something for themselves. What i especially liked is good choice of draft beers - they had 5 of them.

This place is definatelly worth visiting if you're with friends or taking a girl on a date :)

Reviewed July 23, 2012

situated just off one of the squares, we had a large pizza for two and a few beers, both where good, and the pianist was a good touch, no complaints

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Very nice place, maded in Hawaian style. Decorations, good service, very big area. Terrase, first and second floor. Reservations up to 100 persons.

I have been there a lot of times and 100% will come back. There is quiet expensive. But it is restaurant of the Old Town. Fantastic location, good quality, wide spector of cocktails.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

A charming little pizza place with both inside and outside seating. Pizzas were large - more than enough for one person. Prices were good. We spent about $8 per person for a pizza, salad and beer or wine.
Comfortable decor and clean bathrooms plus quick service. Just off one of the main squares so you can hear the live bands at night.