“Excellent all round” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Riga
yorkshire
“Excellent all round”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great location, tasteful and comfortable room, the staff couldn't do enough to help us. Breakfast was delicious and when we got up before breakfast time, we had a packed one which was very generous and tasty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Firstly, the location of this Hotel could not have been better. Being only a stone throw from several of the Old Town squares my family and I had everything at our doorstep! The rooms were clean and the staff very helpful.

As noted in earlier reviews there are a few minor issues with this Hotel but nothing serious. Yes, street noise in the early hours could be an issue if you have a room on the street side. Compared to other Hotels in Riga and nearby countries the breakfasts were only average. During our stay there was no toaster available and the hot food was cold a couple of times. Variety was also limited and I opted to have breakfast elsewhere on several occasions. Also, the air conditioning had very little impact on cooling our room. Perhaps this was due to our room being on the top floor and close to the roof but still something that needs to be addressed as I also witnessed another guest complaining about the inefficiency of the air conditioner in their room. This may also add to the issue of street noise as windows need to be kept open during the night in an attempt to keep the rooms cooler.

Ok, so there are a few minor issues but nothing that cannot be rectified. That is the beauty of Tripadvisor and customer reviews. I read a lot of reviews before booking this Hotel and felt confident in what to expect, and at the end of the day when I ask myself whether I would stay here again....the answer is YES!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Maybe we expect too much because of all good reviews, but this hotel was a big disappoinment. Location is really good, cant complain about that, but everything else was really average or even under that. We get room from 4th floor, so noise from street didnt bother us. Room was small but cozy. We ask more pillows from reception and we get those on same day. Breakfast didnt convince us, was really hard find anything good to eat. Even my breakfast favourites, pancakes, was really dry, and need take those with same tools with what take bacon and egs.

Last day was possible to leave our bag to hotel luggageroom and change there little bit clothes before leaving to airport, that i call good service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Just got there for a weekend in Riga. Bought a junior suite and we got one on 2nd floor (1st actually), on the street front. I couldn't sleep between 2.30 and 5 AM because of noise comune from two clubs in the surroundings. No room changes possible. AVOID this hotel at all costs (by the way, wi-fi wasn't working).

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

The good things - great location, the rooms are a decent size, bathrooms / showers good.
The bad things - overall our stay was good but it was a few small things that let it down for me.
Firstly, breakfast - pretty terrible. We stayed 8 days and I ate the breakfast the first three mornings and went elsewhere the rest of the time even though breakfast was included in our rate. No toaster, on day one I asked for my bread to be toasted, and was told the toaster was broken. By day 8 still no sign of a toaster. The juice is warm, no such thing as refrigeration apparently. Also one bain marie wasn't working so the "hot food" was actually cold.
All of the above things aren't the end of the world, but compared to breakfasts I've had a other eastern European hotels this one was a let down.
Service - also on day one our mini bar was not working....and it was hot so we wanted to keep our water and drinks cold, reported it to reception but it was never fixed.
Also - during our stay the hotel was without hot water for over 24 hours....this was apparently due to works in the old town, so I must point out that it was not the hotels fault, but a bit of advance notice would have been nice, after sightseeing all day sometimes you want a nice warm shower before bed. Again- its not the hotels fault but there was only a small sign at reception which we only saw once we went down to ask why there was no hot water, I think a note to each room advising of this would have been better so people could plan their showers accordingly!
Finally - if you have a room facing the street it can be quite noisy late at night and in the early hours pf the morning with people stumbling home drunk at all hours. This didn't bother us but if you're a light sleeper then you may want to request a room on the back side of the hotel.
Aside from the above minor complaints, I would probably stay at hotel justus again. I wouldnt rate it as excellent, but overall a pretty good place to stay with a fabulous location.

• Stayed July 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We wanted a centrally located hotel in Old Town Riga and couldn't have done much better than the Hotel Justus. Located on very pretty Juaniela Street it is mere steps from the Dome Cathedral and Town Hall Square.

We stayed in room 215, the "family suite". It had two separate bedrooms with the smaller one perfect for a young or teenaged child. The bathroom was also of decent size. The lack of any decor (I got pretty tired of staring at the same boring Russian language poster over three night) is really the only negative.

Breakfast is included. The buffet has a decent selection of cold and hot items (eggs, sausages and pancakes) and you can order an omlette or hot oatmeal as well.

I did find the breakfast room staff to be a little dour though reception was always willing to help out.

Room Tip: You can hear the noise from the bars along Juaniela Street so if you're a light sleeper request...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I travel a lot and I always choose my hotels through TA but also I work on map and be sure to have a perfect location in the heart of everything... But Justus was beyond expectations for location... Just in the heart of the lovely old town of Riga... There are 3 maine squares and if you walk to the right from the hotel you are in one of them in a few steps, if you walk to the left you are in the other one in another few steps and if you walk just straight you are in the 3rd one:) Actually Old Riga is not too big, you can walk everywhere in a few minutes but again this hotel is just in the heart:) Also the building is really lovely and the little square where the hotel is, also is very picturesque. (I added photos). There are lovely restaurants and cafes and bars next door. The view of the little square in front of the hotel from my room was really lovely but some other rooms have the view of the most famous cathedral of Riga which is actually next door:)

The rooms are decent, clean and original with historical walls... The staff is helpful. (They took our boxe that we didn't want to carry to Stockholm in their storage room 5 days before our check-in without charging anything to us). The price also is really reasonable for this place as we booked it through booking.com. (Actually do your booking through a web site like that, because when we wrote them an e-mail they told us they don't have availability but when I checked booking.com, they had and I made our booking)

There is a wonderful restaurant just a few steps from the hotel which takes you back in time to Medieval Times, I don't remember the name but ask to the reception, I'm sure they'll know it, this is an interesting experience. For the night life, the last night we walked all old town but the final place we choosed to go in was a bar just in front of our hotel, so it was great to go back to our room in 2 steps from the bar:)

If I ever go to Riga again, I would not look for somewhere else, and I would recommend this place to all of my friends...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends