“Eye of the beholder”
Review of Opera Hotel & Spa

Opera Hotel & Spa
Ranked #33 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for six nights during the World Choir Games, a group reservation made by a travel agency. Having read reviews here on Trip Advisor I was cautiously optimistic and am pleased to report a very good experience. Our room was on the 5th floor and faced the train station/shopping center. The weather was warm for Riga, upper 70's, so we were grateful for the air conditioning which is exclusive to the 5th floor. It's clear that the top floor rooms would be intolerable without it based on the head radiating from the skylight. We kept the shade closed most of the way to maintain a comfortable temperature. Twin beds were very comfortable for my weary body, having walked great distances daily.
Our bathroom was smaller but with a full sized sink unlike some. The shower, as described by others here, was open so it wasn't possible to stand in front of the sink after showering without doing a bit of mopping first. Towels are changed daily so those used for mopping up the floor weren't a problem. No face cloths were provided, which was a surprise to this American, but overall it wasn't a problem.

Those in our group who stayed on lower floors were challenged by the lack of air conditioning, but the hotel had fans available in limited supply which helped. Open windows and doors when relaxing in the room allowed the air to circulate and cool things off.

The location of the hotel is great! We took advantage of the bus stop at the corner, grocery store across the way adjacent to the train station, tram, short walk to the opera house and Old Riga, a park, and the familiarity of McDonald's on our first night in town, which is right around the corner.

Staying at the Opera Hotel & Spa was a coup for our group when compared to the accommodations of other choirs participating in the World Choir Games, many of them across the river which made it a challenge to get anywhere on foot. I can't comment on the cost since I didn't deal directly with the hotel. Though our room was smaller and had the sloping ceiling due to its location, it had lots of charm and was just right for two adults.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank NJSongbird

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I were travelling with our 20 year old son and so needed a room for 3 adults. This proved to be quite difficult in Riga, but the the Opera Hotel and Spa told us by e-mail that they had a suite into which a single bed could be added. This proved to be a nearly perfect suite for us - the second room not only had the single bed, but a large desk, mini-fridge, and a bath tub. Based on other travellers' advice we had requested a room with air conditioning, but these rooms only occur on the 5th floor. However, the 5th floor suites did not have normal windows - the windows were at the top of the room's high walls and you could not see out of them. However, the choices are limited if you're in a group of 3. Anyway, the air conditioning worked well enough and that's something that seems to be surprisingly hard to find even in 4 and 5 star hotels these days. I had excellent sleeps in this suite. The hotel's breakfast buffet was our only experience with Latvian breakfasts, but it was very good - plenty of choices of fresh fruit, fish, cheese, hot food, and cereals. Staff were friendly and spoke excellent English. The location for us was perfect - right on a large city park suitable for jogging, a quiet location just outside the Old Town, but close enough to be an easy 5-10 minute walk. We found Latvians to be friendly and we felt comfortable walking around downtown Riga at night. Wireless internet worked well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for people travelling solo or as a couple. In a group of 3 you may have to choose between air conditioning and windows with a view.

Room Tip: Choose the 5th floor if you want to be able to control the temperature of your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Before I wrote this review I looked at previous reviews that had been written with glowing results and I would agree with what was said except if you come here in summer and it is hot. All rooms except for the 5th floor DO NOT have Air conditioning. The room we had was excellent except it was so hot we could not sleep, when we opened the windows to get some breeze the noise from the busy intersection the Hotel is located on made it impossible to sleep, fortunately my wife has ear plugs due to my snoring made it ok for her, as for me I had an instant nightclub in the room from the neon light of STOCKMAN'S a cross the intersection, I finally got to sleep about 4.00am. The next morning we were told by our guide, a lot of her clients complain about the heat
of the rooms during summer
Recommendation - stay here but not in summer unless you get the 5th floor or better still stay in the Old town a much better atmosphere. As for the staff, they were great and understanding moving us to the 5th floor, no doubt not the first or the last to complain

Stayed: July 2014
8  Thank Michael W
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel fit every one of our wishes and needs for our stay in Riga. The staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. Our room, with two windows, was light and airy. Everything was extremely clean. The breakfast was abundant--other than a "fried bread" snack midday, we didn't feel hungry again until dinner in the evening. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank packphan
Reviewed June 18, 2014

In fact, Opera has too many flaws to get a positive recommendation but gave anyway several highlights that somehow made our 2 nights stay quite nice.

Overall impression is that everything is new and well cleaned. The staff is serviceminded and friendly, especially in the reception and in the Spa. However, then the flaws comes to mind:
- An impolite and negligent restaurant waiter, who of course showed his worst sides when wife and son was having dinner on their own. He destroyed whatever dinner joy they had.
- A temperature in the restaurant that really made it uncomfortable to sit there for a lunch or dinner.
- Too low temperature in the room made it really uncomfortable to stay there except for sleeping,
- Bathroom lights so bad so it was impossible for the wife to do her make up and for me to do my shaving.
- Crazy bathroom design with an open shower that made the whole bathroom floor flooded when showering.

When complaining about the lack of heating, the somehow unexpected comment was "as it is summer the heating is turned off by the city and as follows the whole building is out of heating. Furthermore that it is summer and there is nothing to do about it, we cannot buy extra heaters for 100 rooms".

However, the AC in the restaurant was in full speed anyway and should have been turned off.

So, be sure to stay at Opera when it is over 20 degrees outside, bring a thick pullover or a jacket if having a meal in the restaurant. OR just chose another hotel where the heating is working and all waiters knows why they picked a service job.

Well, the rest fo the staff was really nice, no complaints there, but it is really no reason to stay here, all hotels should have nice staff - it's what you are paying for...

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank LasseBromma
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The hotel provides excellent breakfast with a great variety of foods and drinks . The hotel is very close to the National opera and enable you to enjoy the performance without worry on the transport .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YIUMICE
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel is about 30 minutes from the airport by taxi, there is a bus which I am told charges only 1.80 Euros which seems to be the standard for paying the driver anywhere in Riga.The bus station is only one department store block to the west of the main station (Centrala Stacjas ). You must use the subways to cross the roads.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and even my chambermaid spoke English.
My room was 225 and although It only looked onto the windows of a block of old flats there was no traffic noise and I enjoyed four nights of good sleep which I doubt could be said for rooms at the front of the hotel. Room and shower room were excellent.
T V was a bit strange as there seemed to be two Latvian channels and three Russian plus, of course, B B C world service. I couldn't find a weather channel but the Reception always knew what the day would bring.
The breakfast choice was huge albeit some were very Baltic/Russian i.e.pickled fish or cucumber for breakfast.
I ate at the Hotels Boulevard 33 restaurant and again despite some of the dishes being Baltic/Russian I always found something to eat. the food was well cooked and beautifully presented.
This is an hotel I have no reservation in recommending.

Room Tip: Try to get an "inside room"
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo